•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the most expensive eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:43 PM

Think I'll just stay with my 11T1.

• wrvond likes this

#77 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:36 PM

The TeleVue Apollo 11 Eyepiece availabity >>>

Thanx for the tip, Red.

WOW! --- I just visited and it looks like they have one?! They have the old boiler plate "join our waiting list", but do have their | In Stock | flag still turned on. TeleVue has removed it entirely from their site and other Dealers show no lingering evidence of it. So that one could very well be the last and only BNIB available from a dealer?! If I didn't have mine already, I'd jump on it immediately. [Here Tom rushes past the Wine Cellar and van Gogh Gallery... down to his Eyepiece Vault and confirms SN #119 is still there.] Hmmm... I did at one time consider two A-11's, but concluded that my nose is too big to accommodate both simultaneously. But I didn't consider a spare just in case I drop or foolishly misplace #119. I'd sleep better, knowing I bought up the very last one. On the other hand, I still have a couple more three-inchers on my impulse-buy list. And just signed the contract for the kitchen do-over, and the Vette wants new sticky tires etc. "Jeeves, check the tires on the Stingray... Bay six... good for this season or not?" Jeeves will report back shortly. You may be able to yank that spare A-11 out from under me if you order within the next ten minutes.

You know that enticing TV commercial, where William Devane memorably boasts, "I even like the feel of gold!" Well, friends, that's conveys the same feeling you get fondling your Apollo Eleven, as you slide it into the MOONLITE, fine-tune focus, and then dive in. Only we choice few experience that; come join the club! Tom

Tom,

I kindly remind you that you have several scopes. More than that, your cute NMT has one or two smaller companions with its own focuser.

I wouldn't sleep thinking one day you are up in the dob with your Apollo 11 and decide to pair it with your special finder for lower magnification (dull guys change the eyepiece, smart ones change the scope), and ~chas!!~ the Apollo runs an homage to Newton down the ladder.

You will sleep better having a second copy closer to the Earth nucleus, for the finders. Uncle Al forgot to provide actual propulsors to (t)his Apollo.

The ones who live you won't ask. But if looking at more justifications:
- a second, because losing one would be a event with gravity
- you can homage Newton with it because then you will use it in exclusive with your biggest newtonian. Also, he did so many great things you like: co-inventor of the dob, theory of gravity, great mathematician (you love formulas)
-A dent in the bank account is way nicer than a dent in irreplaceable single copy of the best eyepiece
-it better balances your dob having one at the top and one at the bottom

~waiting for the twins' picture~
(no photoshop this time!)

Edited by sanbai, 18 April 2021 - 11:44 PM.

#78 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 19 April 2021 - 01:51 AM

Tom,
I kindly remind you that you have several scopes. More than that, your cute NMT has one or two smaller companions with its own focuser.
I wouldn't sleep thinking one day you are up in the dob with your Apollo 11 and decide to pair it with your special finder for lower magnification (dull guys change the eyepiece, smart ones change the scope), and ~chas!!~ the Apollo runs an homage to Newton down the ladder.
You will sleep better having a second copy closer to the Earth nucleus, for the finders. Uncle Al forgot to provide actual propulsors to (t)his Apollo.
The ones who live you won't ask. But if looking at more justifications:
- a second, because losing one would be a event with gravity
- you can homage Newton with it because then you will use it in exclusive with your biggest newtonian. Also, he did so many great things you like: co-inventor of the dob, theory of gravity, great mathematician (you love formulas)
-A dent in the bank account is way nicer than a dent in irreplaceable single copy of the best eyepiece
-it better balances your dob having one at the top and one at the bottom
~waiting for the twins' picture~
(no photoshop this time!)

In a sense --- I've already leapfrogged my and others' anticipations on this one. I have my newest eyepiece confirmed, bought and paid for yesterday and likely to be shipped today. Once I certify its field performance, I'll either immediately photodoc its magnificence... or wait until I (maybe/probably) acquire yet another that will nicely fill the gap twixt the Apollo and the one that's on the way. My intent will then be to savour some notable targets with all three, in sequence... and share comparative impressions of the shootout. Hint: The ordered one, like the Apollo 11, enjoys the distinction of small production run --- very small production run of serialized redoubtables.    Tom

• Sarkikos and sanbai like this

#79 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:11 AM

In a sense --- I've already leapfrogged my and others' anticipations on this one. I have my newest eyepiece confirmed, bought and paid for yesterday and likely to be shipped today. Once I certify its field performance, I'll either immediately photodoc its magnificence... or wait until I (maybe/probably) acquire yet another that will nicely fill the gap twixt the Apollo and the one that's on the way. My intent will then be to savour some notable targets with all three, in sequence... and share comparative impressions of the shootout. Hint: The ordered one, like the Apollo 11, enjoys the distinction of small production run --- very small production run of serialized redoubtables.    Tom

Tele Vue is issuing an Apollo 17? shocked.gif lol.gif waytogo.gif

• 25585 likes this

#80 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:53 AM

Overlooked by Tele Vue

Attached Thumbnails

• apollo-capsule-escape-test-E0AMWH.jpg

• wrvond likes this

#81 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2021 - 11:24 AM

First let me say I have dropped some change on eyepieces. Five Delites, one Panoptic and the 55mm Plossol.  None of which came cheap.

Now I am wondering what is the most expensive eyepiece and what justifies the expense?  I have seen Tele Vues going for $600+, what is the attraction?

I believe the 100mm 4" eyepiece (one of a kind) at Mt Wilson may be the most expensive.

Sieberts hand made ones are pretty expensive also.

#82 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 24 April 2021 - 02:43 PM

In Europe, APM sells big Siebert eyepieces.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics