•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stacking lights from different cameras

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 physics23

physics23

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:13 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to astrophotography, and I began with a 450D, and immediately after moved to a 550D DSLR. I'm imaging M81-82 (with a zoom lens) and now I have half of the subs with one camera and half with the other one (I have calibration frames for each night).

It seems that deep sky stacker cannot stack them together because of the different size (12Mp for the 450D, 18Mp for the 550d). Is there a stacking software where I can do this? For example, does Siril allow me to do this? And if I have to upscale/downscale, which one of the two is better?

Thanks!

Stefano

#2 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:39 AM

I do this fairly regularly in Astro Pixel Processor with a Canon 500D and 600D. It's not freeware, but is very capable and has a very robust registration model. I'm a bit surprised that DSS doesn't do this. If you want to give APP a try, you can download a free trial version.

• limeyx likes this

#3 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:17 PM

PixInsight does the job. How many subs have you got?

#4 PhilHoyle

PhilHoyle

Ranger 4

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

You need to calibrate each night separately (using darks, flats and bias or flat darks) no matter what the software.  You can't expect the calibration routine to correct for hot pixels in both cameras unless they have the exact same hot pixels which is a virtual impossibility.

Anyway, once your light frames are properly calibrated, there are some softwares that can combine them.  Images Plus is one.  The software will need to be able to do a stretch as well as rotate and align during the alignment process.

Some people may say that you will need to combine the two image stacks and then combine the two results.  I'm  not so sure that you need to do that vs combining to two sets of calibrated and aligned stacks together. 

One other thing, if you combine two images from two separate stacks, they "should" have the same number of subs in each stack, or, you will need to use a weighted average method for combining the two images.  Otherwise, you will be combining a noisy image with a not so noisy image and the result will be noisier than the better of the two.

Phil

• pfile likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics