•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Photoshop Image Stacking

Astrophotography Beginner DSLR Software
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimCase

JimCase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:18 AM

Has anyone used the image stacking function, which includes an alignment option, in Photoshop? It seems limited to ten images, but multiple tiff file stacks of up to ten images each can be stacked together if you do not check the “Create Smart Object” option when using a script.  I am trying to judge whether the Photoshop tools provide comparable results compared to other image processors on a MAC platform.

#2 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:24 AM

Has anyone used the image stacking function, which includes an alignment option, in Photoshop? It seems limited to ten images, but multiple tiff file stacks of up to ten images each can be stacked together if you do not check the “Create Smart Object” option when using a script.  I am trying to judge whether the Photoshop tools provide comparable results compared to other image processors on a MAC platform.

I recommend PixInsight. I use both PI and PS but all of my calibration and stacking is done in PI

Edit: I do all of my non linear processing and my initial linear stretch in PI

Edited by terry59, 14 April 2021 - 11:55 AM.

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:37 AM

Affinity Photo has stacking functions built in (for astronomy purposes).

#4 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

Astro Pixel Processor

#5 cybermayberry

cybermayberry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:31 PM

https://www.youtube....yd5I_NPU&t=306s

It's not limited to 10 layers

Edited by cybermayberry, 14 April 2021 - 06:32 PM.

• JimCase likes this

#6 JimCase

JimCase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:49 PM

https://www.youtube....yd5I_NPU&t=306s

It's not limited to 10 layers

Great. I will try using that approach to overcome the ten limitation. Do you find the quality of the output is comparable with the other tools people are using?

#7 cybermayberry

cybermayberry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

Great. I will try using that approach to overcome the ten limitation. Do you find the quality of the output is comparable with the other tools people are using?

I am a longtime user of Photoshop, but a pixinsight user for astrophotography. I have not tried Astro Pixel Processor personally, but pixinsight is superior to everything else I have ever tried.

I downloaded a trial from pixinsight a new after my first project they were getting my money.

I would recommend download trials of everything and see what works best for you

Edited by cybermayberry, 14 April 2021 - 07:10 PM.

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:28 AM

I started my foray into AP with an all-Photoshop flow. Manual alignment always did better for star fields—indeed, the auto alignment feature could never seem to find anything. For manual focus, set the upper layer to Lighten mode, align a star in one of the corners, and use the transformation tool with the transform center on that star to align the rest of the image. Be sure to set the mode back to Normal before combining layers.

Manual stacking is just an exercise in opacity. From the bottom, it goes 100%, 50%, 33%, 25%, 20%, 17%, 14%, 13%, 11%, 10%. Below that, representing the fractional contributions with 1 digit results in too much over or under representation of images; so I would just stack sets of 10 using the same rubric.

A better free stacker for MacOS is Lynkeos. It works great with 8-bit and 16-bit TIFFs and PNGs, but it chokes on .CR2 Canon raws (so I use RawTherapee 5.8.0 for calibration). Version 3.3 handles field rotation, but Version 2.10 is at least twice as fast for stacking planetary. For planetary, it handles the .mp4s out of AstroDSLR 1.3.

BQ

#9 T~Stew

T~Stew

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:42 PM

Siril is free and is available for Mac I do believe. Very powerful software for stacking, preprocessing and post processing. And has an easy button if you use a script that does what you want to do.

#10 JimCase

JimCase

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. It sounds while Photoshop can be used for stacking (and processing), the stacking tools in dedicated Astro software programs are preferred by many. I am continuing to explore several of these other software packages to see what the optimal solution is as I develop my workflow. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, DSLR, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics