•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ALT AZ mount 3d printed and 2x4's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

This will hopefully work. 

The wheels will be held to the tube with it's rings. The sliders are slotted so that adjustments can be made. They will be held to the 2x4's with dry wall screws and washers.

telemount.gif

#2 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

Here is ALT mount. Obviously some change from the original plan.  I felt the side pucks would not take the stress.

Seems real smooth. Parts are printed with 3 layers of side wall 1.5mm of top and bottom and 25% infill.  Used PETG.  

Next to make the AZ mount.  Maybe a pieced ring and track.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails

• gso12a.JPG
  • gso12b.JPG

• Xeroid likes this

#3 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:28 AM

I designed and printed two sets of interlocking rings. The larger is 20" (500mm) diameter. 

Need a couple of pieces of heavy plywood to mount them on. 

Adapted my Volk 20D lens (50mm) to serve as an eye piece. Also ran some tests with a triplet microscope lens. Going to need a bit more extension on that one.

Found that I have an extension tube that fits nicely into the 2" eyepiece holder. I have a M42 to M43 adapter so now can adapt my Lumix camera to the telescope. I don't have an equatorial mount and astrodrive, yet. Should still be able to get some planetary images easy enough.

My ALT  mount seems steady with the camera and eyepieces without adjusting the rings.

Edited by dbrb, 21 April 2021 - 09:37 AM.

#4 Adun

Adun

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:07 PM

Is that a GSO 6" F5?

#5 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:26 PM

Close

It is a GSO

12" f4

• izar187 likes this

#6 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:12 PM

The Alt mount seems real smooth but have struggled with the az mount. I had printed a pair of interlocking 20" rings. and they had fairly high stiction. Looked around my shop and found a derelict piece of countertop. 

I cut it square and replaced the smaller side of the interlocking rings. Put it back together and it floated great until I loaded it with the scope. Then the stiction reared it ugly head but about 50% of what it was.

I put in a pin in the center to hold things together and added in an old clutch spring from a 70's motorcycle that I had in my springs drawer. That thing is really stiff. I put it back together and it now seats down with almost non existent stiction. Perhaps more surface area on the design would help. 

Clear skies and moon doesn't come up till 11 so hoping for good viewing. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics