•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Batch Crop before processing?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Islander13

Islander13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:55 PM

I'm waiting for my field flattener for my WO Z61 and the supplier says it will still be a month maybe... I've been shooting and processing (in AstroPixel) some sessions without the flattener and wondering if the bloated stars are negatively effecting the final result. I know that M51 is a tight shot for this scope but galaxies are so cool... I'm manually guiding and just trying to get a solid polar alignment, and focus - then hunting, finding, centering, as well as possible. Then setting the intervalometer and letting it run while I gaze with binocs and naked eye. 

Attached is an image from APP using default settings. 140 x 60second subs (with 26 darks and 6 flats) from my bortle 4 backyard. The cropped image is 'decent' (for me) after some tweaking in Lightroom.

I'm just wondering if I did a batch crop, if the final result may be better. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.19.38 AM-2.jpg

#2 jseivert

jseivert

Sputnik

• Loc: Kenosha, WI

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:08 PM

I don't think the batch crop prior to registration and stacking would make any difference.  

The stars near the center look good so registration seems to be fine.  Once you get the flattener dialed in it'll help tighten up the ones away from the center.

After that work on new/more flats for evening out the background.  

Hang in there!

Jeff

• Islander13 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics