•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New scope options for this summer?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 acshaw80

acshaw80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

My dad has a Celestron EdgeHD 8" with star sense that we have used together a bit, and I finally thought maybe i'd like to get myself one.  Low and behold I have encountered what I am sure you have all been talking about for some time in that there is a lot of equipment on extended backorder.  Some websites are saying don't expect it until winter.

My question for you guys is are there any other scopes I should be considering that might be available sooner?  I think my first choice would have been a 9.25 EdgeHD with starsense.  I am a bit of a noob as I haven't really owned a telescope myself, but I am a both feet forward kind of person and want to get something that will keep me happy for years.

I'm mainly interested in looking at DSOs with perhaps some light planetary/lunar viewing.  I also want to minimize my setup and alignment time which is why i like star sense.  Just not really sure what good options there may be out there in time for the summer. I have noticed, for example, that some of the Vixen Optics telescopes are still in stock, but I am not familiar with this brand or how well their goto works or how easy it is to align the scope.

Note: I have been browsing the classifields on cloudy night and astro mart and haven't seen much in the way of what I originally wanted.  

I apologize for the noobie post, but do appreciate any insight anyone might have.  Just to clarify I am looking for:

-A mirror size in the range of 8-11"

-Easy to align

-Good goto

-budget of $2500-$5000  

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

I would get a used CPC 11 or consider getting a Sky-Watcher GoTo Dob and StarSense for it.

• gnowellsct, ShaulaB and Bean614 like this

#3 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

My dad has a Celestron EdgeHD 8" with star sense that we have used together a bit, and I finally thought maybe i'd like to get myself one.  Low and behold I have encountered what I am sure you have all been talking about for some time in that there is a lot of equipment on extended backorder.  Some websites are saying don't expect it until winter.

My question for you guys is are there any other scopes I should be considering that might be available sooner?  I think my first choice would have been a 9.25 EdgeHD with starsense.  I am a bit of a noob as I haven't really owned a telescope myself, but I am a both feet forward kind of person and want to get something that will keep me happy for years.

I'm mainly interested in looking at DSOs with perhaps some light planetary/lunar viewing.  I also want to minimize my setup and alignment time which is why i like star sense.  Just not really sure what good options there may be out there in time for the summer. I have noticed, for example, that some of the Vixen Optics telescopes are still in stock, but I am not familiar with this brand or how well their goto works or how easy it is to align the scope.

Note: I have been browsing the classifields on cloudy night and astro mart and haven't seen much in the way of what I originally wanted.  

I apologize for the noobie post, but do appreciate any insight anyone might have.  Just to clarify I am looking for:

-A mirror size in the range of 8-11"

-Easy to align

-Good goto

-budget of $2500-$5000  

It is very difficult to predict when a particular telescope will again become available.

• Jaimo!, Augustus and BlueTrane2028 like this

#4 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

Um!? Nice touch there firstly trying to get one up on your father!?was that intended with the larger aperture scope,as long you don,t go into competition with one another with size envy.well the downside of things is that it’s pretty much the norm at the moment regarding stock levels and it’s exsactly the same here in the uk with sometimes months on the waiting list on preorder scopes also the accessories,and I’ve heard that some folks in the USA are waiting up to a year even.the plus side of things for you tho thay you can still use your dads scope while you decide and perhaps do a litte research on what is definitely the right scope for you,as what I’m thinking what is happening at the moment is some folks are started to get a little inpatient and setterling for second best which is not always the best option as patience is a virtue in this hobby and the night sky will always be there!?However before i go into the ins and outs of various products what is your end goal the reason why I ask is there is no specifics on the type of mount your looking for also ie Azimuth or equatorial mount or perhaps you are considering imaging!?

#5 acshaw80

acshaw80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:30 PM

While there is a bit of playful competition among the men in my family this is entirely revolved around the idea that o wanted to try something a bit different for what he has so we can enjoy both scopes together.

I have considered a dub with goto but in the end I thought I might like something a little less cumbersome to move around. In this regard I was thinking an sct like my dads would be ideal and I would use an equatorial mount. I think 99% of my interest is driven by visual astronomy. I have an interest in Astro photography but have read that SCTs are not the idea choice for this but rather a mid range refractor with the best mount you can afford.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

#6 acshaw80

acshaw80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 05:32 PM

On second thought I might be interested in a goto dob as long as I can collapse it down.

#7 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:15 PM

On second thought I might be interested in a goto dob as long as I can collapse it down.

Not so fast......  The GoTo Dob is a great idea, but unless you Really,  REALLY,  need it to collapse,  get a solid tube!

- solid tubes don't flex

- warmth from your body and nearby homes/buildings WON'T affect a solid tube as much.

- focuser on the Skywatcher 'collapsibles' intrudes into light p a th too much.

- solid tubes hold collimation much better! 

I've owned both, those are my experiences.   I have also owned the other scopes mention so far, and agree that the GoTo Dob,  or CPC-11 would be great choices! 

• teashea likes this

#8 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

You will have lots of time to consider your options as the astronomy supply chain from China may not get back to normal until sometime next year. I recommend getting started with some good reading material. Terence Dickinson's "NightWatch" is a classic. Not only does he go through the pro's and con's of all the gear but the book is has seasonal star charts so it's great to have near the scope when you get it. Another good guide book is Guy Consolmagno's "Turn Left at Orion." Good luck on your choices! waytogo.gif

• teashea likes this

#9 BlueTrane2028

BlueTrane2028

Viking 1

• Loc: 40°28'36.8"N 75°12'30.5"W

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:03 PM

"Big" scopes are fun.  I have 2 8" and 2 12" options.  C8, 8" Skywatcher Dob, 12" LX200, 12" Skywatcher Dob.  The 8" Dob is likely to leave.

The LX200 is a bit of a monster with the fork it's on.

#10 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:51 PM

I would get a used CPC 11 or consider getting a Sky-Watcher GoTo Dob and StarSense for it.

what he said.

I am very attached to German equatorials but I would never mislead you into thinking it is a fast and easy setup.

Greg N

• teashea likes this

#11 luxo II

luxo II

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:31 AM

A C9.25 or C11, sure. But note carefully the weight of the CPC versions - these are a single item to lift. OK if you're tall, young and strong. Otherwise, look for an OTA and buy a mount to put it on separately, EQ6, AZEQ6 or Losmandy GM811G or G11, for example.

Alternatively a Celestron 7" maksutov is a nice smaller scope for lunar & planetary, and consider having a larger scope (C11) or a dobsonian for DSOs in a dark sky.

Edited by luxo II, 15 April 2021 - 01:53 AM.

#12 acshaw80

acshaw80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:50 AM

A C9.25 or C11, sure. But note carefully the weight of the CPC versions - these are a single item to lift. OK if you're tall, young and strong. Otherwise, look for an OTA and buy a mount to put it on separately, EQ6, AZEQ6 or Losmandy GM811G or G11, for example.

Alternatively a Celestron 7" maksutov is a nice smaller scope for lunar & planetary, and consider having a larger scope (C11) or a dobsonian for DSOs in a dark sky.

Thank you - I've always been fascinated with planetary and lunar imaging.  Would you say a refractor would better serve planetary imaging or would the Mak you suggested work better?

#13 sportsmed

sportsmed

Messenger

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:13 PM

I would second a 180mm Mak as a good alternative for great planetary, lunar views along with certain DSO. But if you dont have to travel far to view, aperture is always nice. With your budget you could even look at 16" - 20" dobs and would be a big change from your dads scope. The Mak would be good in the future though for planetary AP if you ever get into photography. But the suggestion of a 11" SCT would put up nice views as well. Something I have learned though is the easier the setup the more you will use it. I have a 10" dob but since I have to travel to view I find myself keeping the Dob in the house most of the time and opt for one of my more grab n go setups (usually 80mm refractor or 127mm Mak). But if you can view at home and you have the budget I would for sure opt for more aperture.

• acshaw80 likes this

#14 acshaw80

acshaw80

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thanks. Do you have a recommendation for a mak? I’ve been looking into getting either an 80mm or 100mm sky watcher esprit for portability. I like to travel to cherry springs in PA.

#15 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:35 PM

I think one of the modern GOTO Dobs fit right in to visually enjoying on the scale you desire.  The price point puts them ahead of other designs $ per inch aperture.   A 12" GOTO would be very nice if you need to travel, while a 16" if you have a great backyard would be even better.    

I have SCTs... 8", 10, 16... had a CPC1100 that I sold to get the 10" Meade LX200.  I think the 11" is just a bit soft compared to the other apertures, not sure why... but always got that feeling, and when I got the 10" I felt it was a marked improvement.

#16 sportsmed

sportsmed

Messenger

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:38 PM

Orion has a good 180mm mak and weighs a little less then the Celestron, but Celestron or even Skywatcher could be options.

#17 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:48 AM

There are so many choices, and most of them are good.  To some considerable degree it is going to depend on what type of telescope appeals to you personally.  It is also going to depend on what is available - which is not much now for quality telescopes.  There are a lot of lesser quality telescopes available.

I recently purchased five telescopes from Japan and Germany because they were not available in the US.  The process has worked well for me.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics