•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to transport the scope of my dreams?

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ipsofacto

Ipsofacto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brooklyn, New York

Posted 14 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

Hello, friends!  I figured my retirement would be a good time to finally "pull the trigger" and get a decent instrument.....so.....

I am now the proud owner of a new, Celestron CPC Edge HD 8 inch SCT!   It is assembled and in my living room, and I will fully educate myself on how to operate it's mysteries before attempting to schlep it to a suitable viewing site.

But first.....

I will need a container to transport my scope.  I could lay out hundreds of dollars for a Pelican case, but I would prefer to spend that kind of green on some quality eyepieces. (more questions on that topic later!)

I see some of you have done wonderful things with either rubbermaid or sterilite storage bins and foam.  I was hoping someone out there would have a double-fork 8 inch SCT like mine, and could offer SPECIFICS about which brand, size, and perhaps where to purchase said container.

Please help!

Ipsofacto,

Brooklyn, N.Y.SCT.jpg

• BillShort, sevenofnine, wrnchhead and 4 others like this

#2 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

Use the foam packing  and make a case. 

Edited by Maritime, 14 April 2021 - 09:07 PM.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:37 PM

Take the shaped shipping foam to a Walmart and find out what plastic storage bin will fit closest to what you need, then buy it. Its pretty much the same as the old trunks they used to use for the C8 OTAs.

• Gen 1:16 likes this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:39 PM

Also here is an absolute rule, you never ever throw away the shipping box for an astro item until you have something better to put it in.

• Cali, DouglasPaul and Gen 1:16 like this

#5 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

Hi and welcome!

I have a 10” forked sct, and the case is so big it is comical. I prefer to buckle it in the front passenger seat of my car if I take it out. If I go with a friend it gets demoted to the back seat lol.gif

• infamousnation likes this

#6 Migwan

Migwan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:12 PM

Difficult to give a perfect example, as there are many factors in play.  Such as the available space in vehicles for transport and at home for storage.  Also an individual's strength matters.  Can you carry the weight or would you prefer to have wheels.   

Here are some examples that you can pack with eggshell or acoustic foam.

THISTHIS  or  THIS

You'll have to measure your fork and ota and then find one that fits.   I used something like the first example on my Meade 2080 with an ST80 mounted on it and it worked fine.  I didn't mind lifting and carrying that.

I chose something like the last one for my C11 with an ST120 mounted on it, which I didn't want to carry.  Problem is, it didn't fit under my tonneau cover and never left the store.  Fastest return ever.   I ended up building one out of thin plywood, 2x2s, 1x1 angled aluminum, a handle and two wheels.  It fit the scopes and slides under the tonneau.  

Hope this helps.

#7 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:23 PM

The best case is an observatory. Otherwise, if you will actually be transporting it around farther than the back yard --- make sure your home-built case is thoughtfully executed to protect your scope as reliably as a ~professional~ one. At that point, it becomes the choice of buying a good case or taking the time and effort to make one. From experience, I've noticed that friends sometimes "plan" on making a good case for months or years, and never get around to it. Instead the scope rests on the back seat of the car, in the trunk, or (most often) on the closet floor with a dry-cleaning bag over it.    Tom

• sevenofnine likes this

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:01 AM

I went to U-Haul and bought a bunch of heavy duty moving blankets and I went to home Depot and got a bunch of bungee cords. Works very well for expensive tripods and piers.

The c14 and the c8, whichever one I'm using, don't get wrapped however. I just belt them in like they was people.

Soylent Green is people. Scts is people.

I've been pointing out that this is a way to transport gear for years but I must say I've never heard of anyone following suit. There is a kind of tank mentality you have to have a pelican case for driving your scope around in your car. Pelican case is what you want to ship your scope to the Caribbean.

Blankets and bungee colors are nice for protecting expensive gear and have the merit you can fit them into tight spaces and have them conform. Big protective boxes are not very space efficient.

Anyhow everybody always figures this problem out.

Greg N

Edited by gnowellsct, 15 April 2021 - 12:04 AM.

• Migwan, Andynator and EricSi like this

#9 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:59 AM

I will second the blankets and bungees. I hate cases, particularly hard cases, as they often more than double the weight and also increase the bulk. A 8" SCT in a case is substantially harder to move than a 10" one without a case.
  • Gen 1:16 likes this

#10 infamousnation

infamousnation

Messenger

• Loc: Woodstock IL

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:06 AM

People will think I’m crazy but I prefer bags because cases are too heavy. Yes it increases the risk of damage, but that can be mitigated by putting more blankets on it, until you feel it’s safe.

• spaceoddity likes this

#11 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:30 AM

I will second the blankets and bungees. I hate cases, particularly hard cases, as they often more than double the weight and also increase the bulk. A 8" SCT in a case is substantially harder to move than a 10" one without a case.

How can that be ? Most of those cases are made from lite aluminum with a lite foam liner and are only a bit larger than the scope itself, quite compact. Thats double the weight of a rather large SCT, a lot bulkier, substantially harder to move ? Really ? Did you ever think of taking weight training, lol ?  PS: Good protection should be paramount !

Edited by LDW47, 15 April 2021 - 10:31 AM.

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

The best case is an observatory. Otherwise, if you will actually be transporting it around farther than the back yard --- make sure your home-built case is thoughtfully executed to protect your scope as reliably as a ~professional~ one. At that point, it becomes the choice of buying a good case or taking the time and effort to make one. From experience, I've noticed that friends sometimes "plan" on making a good case for months or years, and never get around to it. Instead the scope rests on the back seat of the car, in the trunk, or (most often) on the closet floor with a dry-cleaning bag over it.    Tom

You need one big handle(s) to carry an observatory around, lol !

• gnowellsct likes this

#13 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:40 AM

If you don’t get yourself a good substantial but reasonably lite case and it is as you say ‘ the scope of your dreams ‘ you will always have some worry every time you move it around, it might even be in your thoughts every time your mind moves to astronomy which it will as the skies darken and you get deeper and deeper into this great hobby !

#14 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

How can that be ? Most of those cases are made from lite aluminum with a lite foam liner and are only a bit larger than the scope itself, quite compact. Thats double the weight of a rather large SCT, a lot bulkier, substantially harder to move ? Really ? Did you ever think of taking weight training, lol ? PS: Good protection should be paramount !

All that aluminum plating and foam just isn't light. The case for my Skywatcher 150ED easily weighs more than the scope does. It also makes the scope incredibly awkward to move as it dramatically increases the bulk greatly.

And I still have nightmares about carrying my old Dynamax around in that footlocker.

The thing is, if I pack with a couple of brain cells engaged, it's pretty easy to place a scope in my car so that nothing is going to happen unless I'm in a wreck. Why knock myself out carrying a giant heavy obnoxious case for that unlikely eventuality?

At least if you're going to get a case, get a soft one. They don't weigh as much.
  • therealdmt likes this

#15 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

All that aluminum plating and foam just isn't light. The case for my Skywatcher 150ED easily weighs more than the scope does. It also makes the scope incredibly awkward to move as it dramatically increases the bulk greatly.

And I still have nightmares about carrying my old Dynamax around in that footlocker.

The thing is, if I pack with a couple of brain cells engaged, it's pretty easy to place a scope in my car so that nothing is going to happen unless I'm in a wreck. Why knock myself out carrying a giant heavy obnoxious case for that unlikely eventuality?

At least if you're going to get a case, get a soft one. They don't weigh as much.

Your experience is sure different than mine when I grab that secure handle and move ....... around ! Footlocker ? Maybe you are talking times long past ! I am 73 and for a good average weight scope and accessories I don’t think much about it. But let me ask, you aren’t talking some large scope much heavier than the OP is talking are you ?? Let me say this, in the end you want to move, take  your scope someplace via your vehicle, so basically you think loading, hauling and taking it out at your destination is easier, more compact with blankets and buggie cords rather than a lite, solid case designed for that purpose ? To each his own I guess !  PS: Peoples strength does differ no doubt !

Edited by LDW47, 15 April 2021 - 11:05 AM.

#16 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:20 AM

Part of the difference might be that I have to move things up and down flights of stairs and through doors, so anything that increase the bulk is a huge problem.

Also, cases usually cost a ton. And I just don't see the point when I can just wrap a blanket around the scope and tuck it in somewhere where it can't fly around.

#17 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:47 AM

My inclination would be to try to get at least the OTA - and preferably the GOTO mount - into a padded computer backpack or daypack along with the eyepieces and skysafari tablet.  That way, I can put it on my back and carry the tripod in my grubby little hands.  It will travel well enough in a car or train that way.  With any luck it might even fit the overhead compartment of a plane.  Would not want to do checked luggage that way.

If doing checked luggage, just put it in the center of a big luggage well surrounded by clothing packed in tight.

Remember that all it had on the slow boat from china is the box it came in. 

#18 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:56 AM

Part of the difference might be that I have to move things up and down flights of stairs and through doors, so anything that increase the bulk is a huge problem.

Also, cases usually cost a ton. And I just don't see the point when I can just wrap a blanket around the scope and tuck it in somewhere where it can't fly around.

Cost is kind of what I thought, it is a big factor sometimes over riding convenience ! I agree !

#19 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:41 PM

How can that be ? Most of those cases are made from lite aluminum with a lite foam liner and are only a bit larger than the scope itself, quite compact. Thats double the weight of a rather large SCT, a lot bulkier, substantially harder to move ? Really ? Did you ever think of taking weight training, lol ?  PS: Good protection should be paramount !

Actually when you have blankets there is a lot of squishing and fitting around that can occur which means more net space than you get with cases.  

I've had my C14 since 2002, it has given me the universe for 18 years at a cost of $4,000 or $222 a year.  Still going strong though it owes me nothing.  It shows the signs of use.  I just strap it in the back seat of the car, sometimes it loses a paint chip.   Optics are still great.  

But I take better care of the tripods, pier, etc.  They have handles and things that can break.  So I wrap them.  And the refractors.  They get soft cases.  

Greg N

#20 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

Cost is kind of what I thought, it is a big factor sometimes over riding convenience ! I agree !

It isn't just cost. My Skywatcher 150ED came with a hard case. It makes it near impossible to transport - more than doubles the weight, makes it impossible to get around corners or down stairs, and makes a scope that easily fits in my car without it unable to fit at all. It makes the scope nearly unusable.

So I just store the scope in it and transport it bare. More risky? Sure, but otherwise I wouldn't use it at all.

Edited by Mitrovarr, 15 April 2021 - 03:46 PM.

• therealdmt likes this

#21 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

It isn't just cost. My Skywatcher 150ED came with a hard case. It makes it near impossible to transport - more than doubles the weight, makes it impossible to get around corners or down stairs, and makes a scope that easily fits in my car without it unable to fit at all. It makes the scope nearly unusable.

So I just store the scope in it and transport it bare. More risky? Sure, but otherwise I wouldn't use it at all.

You do have some tough times carrying that big heavy case, kind of unlucky when a heavy, awkward weight spoils your viewing ! I can’t even imagine a scope case that size. How about getting a larger vehicle to make it easier ? Could you post a photo of the case so we can avoid buying one ?

#22 Migwan

Migwan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

I went to U-Haul and bought a bunch of heavy duty moving blankets and I went to home Depot and got a bunch of bungee cords. Works very well for expensive tripods and piers.

The c14 and the c8, whichever one I'm using, don't get wrapped however. I just belt them in like they was people.

Soylent Green is people. Scts is people.

I've been pointing out that this is a way to transport gear for years but I must say I've never heard of anyone following suit. There is a kind of tank mentality you have to have a pelican case for driving your scope around in your car. Pelican case is what you want to ship your scope to the Caribbean.

Blankets and bungee colors are nice for protecting expensive gear and have the merit you can fit them into tight spaces and have them conform. Big protective boxes are not very space efficient.

Anyhow everybody always figures this problem out.

Greg N

Reasonable suggestion and I have done this, minus the blankets.  Just seat belt it in and go.  Problem is, I like it to acclimate on the way, so no air conditioning in the summer and no heat in the winter. 

Got to love the gawkers at intersections looking at me in my cold weather gear with my strange robot like passenger. 

jd

• DSOGabe likes this

#23 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

You can get one of those large tool boxes/chests from Home Depot and line it with foam. Could even do that with a small trunk. I took my case and scope to an upholstery shop. They cut, shaped and glued the foam to shape for it. Foam and labor cost me about $50.

#24 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

Actually when you have blankets there is a lot of squishing and fitting around that can occur which means more net space than you get with cases.  

I've had my C14 since 2002, it has given me the universe for 18 years at a cost of $4,000 or $222 a year.  Still going strong though it owes me nothing.  It shows the signs of use.  I just strap it in the back seat of the car, sometimes it loses a paint chip.   Optics are still great.  

But I take better care of the tripods, pier, etc.  They have handles and things that can break.  So I wrap them.  And the refractors.  They get soft cases.  

Greg N

If you have always handled / treated your scope that way then you know the ropes, I like to handle mine so no paint chips off !

#25 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:58 PM

You do have some tough times carrying that big heavy case, kind of unlucky when a heavy, awkward weight spoils your viewing ! I can’t even imagine a scope case that size. How about getting a larger vehicle to make it easier ? Could you post a photo of the case so we can avoid buying one ?

I mean, it doesn't hurt much now because I don't use it except for storage. Although it did take up permanent residence in my bedroom hallway because it is too big to fit anywhere else in my house.
  • therealdmt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics