•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to transport the scope of my dreams?

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:15 PM

Anytime I see the "[insert noun here] of my dreams" phrase I can't help but remember my son.  We had traveled to San Diego, he was about four years old.  The car rental place assigned us a PT Cruiser.  We didn't ask for it.  But there it was.  We got him strapped into the back and got the luggage put away and ourselves strapped in and ready to go, when a small voice from the back said:

"This is the car of my dreams."

He was steadfast in his devotion to PT Cruisers for the next five or six years.

Greg N

• therealdmt likes this

#27 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:29 PM

People will think I’m crazy but I prefer bags because cases are too heavy. Yes it increases the risk of damage, but that can be mitigated by putting more blankets on it, until you feel it’s safe.

I have my 8" SCT wrapped in a throw blanket and stored in a travel bag which also has plenty of pockets and a pouch in each end to carry accessories. Works fine for me. If I were to get a case I prefer the soft padded one's but they are about as costly as a hard case. The soft case that came with my ES127 refractor is nice because it also has compartments to store accessories.

#28 BradBB

BradBB

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

I use the Rhino Bag Mate, for $99 from Amazon. It is a heavy duty soft bag with three large pouches for accessories. My C8 easily fits in and I am sure a C11 would too. I use the Apertura SCT bag, $79 from Highpoint, for the fork mount and dew shield. Also has a large accessory pocket. I use a soft camera backpack to hold eyepieces, filters, and the RACI scope. My wife made a sunbrella bag with strap to hold the tripod. She also made a small bag to hold the Celestron lithium battery. Yes, it takes me two trips out to the truck or to the back yard. If I have to go any distance from the truck I have a folding soft wagon/cart that will hold it all. It would all fit easily in the trunk of a small car.

#29 astrohamp

astrohamp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

Hey Ipso...  is it possible to defork...ah...de-arm the OTA, fit the mount arm with a saddle and install a dovetail plate on the tube?

If so then two containers may be easier to manage. 

#30 ayadai

ayadai

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Mariana Islands

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:56 PM

As mentioned here, I favor large, padded backpacks. They provide ease of use, convenience and portability at a low price with a reasonable amount of protection. The OTA, diagonal and eyepieces all fit in one backpack and the mount and battery in another.

#31 Ipsofacto

Ipsofacto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brooklyn, New York

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:30 AM

I’d really prefer not to de-fork the OTA, and not make any modifications to a brand-new instrument. Checking out DeWalt rolling toolboxes. My Toyota Highlander can fit a refrigerator...it can fit a big toolbox. I’ll get sheet foam and do my best!
  • LDW47 and Migwan like this

#32 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Messenger

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

I got this in Godox brand used for $65.  You can get it in "Impact" brand now (same case) for $128.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20210419-194852_Chrome.jpg

#33 therealdmt

therealdmt

Viking 1

• Loc: 35° N

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:10 PM

I mean, it doesn't hurt much now because I don't use it except for storage. Although it did take up permanent residence in my bedroom hallway because it is too big to fit anywhere else in my house.

Yeah, I have a smaller scope (100 ED), but my SkyWatcher case is just taking up space on the floor of the bedroom. I forget (haven’t used it since the first weekend), but iirc the star diagonal has to be taken out to put the scope in its case - well, that’s a no-go right there for me for casual use.  For storage, I just leave the telescope up mounted on its tripod with a dust cover over it. For transport, I take the telescope off the tripod, carry it out to the car and just lay it across the back seat, with various sundry items such as a blanket and pillow that’re usually back there, plus stuff I’m taking with me like my coat or jacket, my backpack, etc., wedged around it to stop it from rolling around. How much do I worry? — not one bit.

The main practical use case for the included case, the one I was excited about when I first saw it, would have been as an airline travel case — it looks like it’s suitable for air travel. However, when I got the case in hand, I saw that the aluminum panels are very thin — it’s not suitable at all as a flight case. The only other reason I could see for using it then would be a long road trip in our small vehicle, but the mentioned soft sides don’t really offer much protection for stacking stuff on top of it and like you said, it takes up extra room, so it may literally never get used. Maybe if I give up astronomy for a few years, it’ll be used for storing the scope in a closet whilst getting the giant case out of the way at the same time...

Frankly, I wish it would just disappear. But I can’t bring myself to throw it out as it looks neat and, like the included eyepiece I don’t use, is part of a complete set for re-sale. So, it lays on the floor of my small spare bedroom uselessly taking up space 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics