•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & Saturn return. Let's try my new green filter!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Antonio area, TX, U.S.

Posted 14 April 2021 - 11:58 PM

Although Saturn & Jupiter have been visible in the morning sky for a while now, the wait for clear weather has finally ended on April 10th. As the sky brightened, it was breezy and the air above was very turbulent. This was my first time having insulation wrapped around the OTA while imaging a planet. Despite having just brought the scope out to a cooler environment, I saw no internal heat plume while collimating the secondary mirror.

This was also the first time I used my custom Chroma extended green filter on Saturn and Jupiter. With the same settings, the image through the extended green filter was 25% brighter than the standard green on Saturn and looks a little less noisy to me. The 11:28 and 11:59 images use the standard green filter while the 11:29 & 12:00 image use the extended green. Due to the brightening sky and variable seeing, the Jupiter data was not suitable to create a fair comparison.

I am hoping for better conditions soon so I can create a solid comparison between both filters.

2021-04-10-1128_4-EC-RGB-Sat.jpg 2021-04-10-1129_6-EC-RGB-Sat.jpg 2021-04-10-1145_7-ec-ir685-Sat.jpg

(You might have to click this animation for it to play)
G-v-eG.gif

Extended Green
s2021-04-10_11-24-27_eg_ec.txt

Spoiler

Standard Green
s2021-04-10_11-33-43_g_ec.txt
Spoiler

2021-04-10-1159_0-EC-RGB-Jup.jpg 2021-04-10-1200_4-EC-RGB-Jup.jpg 2021-04-10-1210_8-ec-ir685-Jup.jpg

• Magellanico, John Boudreau, R Botero and 4 others like this

#2 John Boudreau

John Boudreau

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Boston Area, MA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:00 AM

The color balance looks great with the extended G filter for both Saturn and Jupiter so any worries about extending the G filter bandpass to bridge the sodium LP gap should be laid to rest. cool.gif  In time I'm sure you'll get some fine seeing to push the processing and I'm sure the noise difference will become apparent in those conditions. Thanks Ethan and nice work! waytogo.gif

It's still a few weeks before I can catch Saturn in a reasonably dark sky, and a bit longer for  me before Jupiter clears the final large tree to my SE. Sadly it probably won't be until June though before I'll get a chance with these planets at a decent altitude!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics