•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wow I couldn't even buy a new mount if I wanted to, and I think I do.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:31 AM

I noticed that crappy eccentricity values are creeping in my images again when I load up my IEq45 Pro with the 5" refractor and all the imaging gear. Well after 2.5 years it is time for my to upgrade a mount. I want something not too heavy as I am mobile and I would if possible like to have the option of something a little heavier in the future, maybe even a RASA 11.  I was thinking the CEM 70, with a head weight  of 30Lbs. Maybe a GEM45, which would likely not carry a RASA 11.  Well plenty of options. I might even consider a Myt.  

But there literally are no new mounts available!  It seems like a horrible time to need a new mount!

• Gary Z and teashea like this

#2 Boeglewatcher

Boeglewatcher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Regensburg, Germany

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:42 AM

Hi Ballyhoo,

Before you pull the trigger on a new mount, and I can recommend a Cem70 :-) , a quick question.

‘what’s the focal length of your guide scope?

i was guiding my cem70 w a 180mm guide scope and rarely getting eccentricity below 0,5 (PI measurement).

‘recently, I changed to 400mm guide scope and now the eccentricity is as low as 0,2. Average is now well below 0,4.

the stars are perfectly round now.

‘it’s a bit harder to find a guiding star but I guess using a 80/330mm or so w a bit better f ratio will do the trick.

‘I stick w my 70/400 guiding scope.

cs Joachim 

Edited by Boeglewatcher, 15 April 2021 - 01:43 AM.

• Ballyhoo, cookjaiii and limeyx like this

#3 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:14 AM

Have you ruled out Losmandy?  Don't believe they are 'unavailable.'  At least not last October when I purchased mine. 

• limeyx and Gen 1:16 like this

#4 EXT64

EXT64

Ranger 4

• Loc: Great Mills, MD, USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:53 AM

I think in some other threads here about them, they have a lead time too. Hopefully others can chime in with their experience. I would certainly still consider them though!

Edited by EXT64, 15 April 2021 - 05:54 AM.

#5 weis14

weis14

Ranger 4

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:43 AM

I think Losmandy is at 6-8 weeks for a new mount now. Just like everyone else. In Losmandy's case this seems to be a demand driven backlog in production.

#6 mjh410

mjh410

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tooele, UT

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

I ordered a Losmandy G11G about a week and a half ago and was given a 10-12 week estimate. I checked their website directly and I believe it stated the same estimate on their ordering page, but I can't check it right now. I ordered through High Point Scientific, that's where my estimate came from.

• limeyx likes this

#7 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:58 AM

Stop making all these baby steps and just get a lifetime mount now.  You will save much  money in the long run.

Mach1 or MyT and be done with it.

• EricCCD, turtle86, lynnelkriver and 6 others like this

#8 rnyboy

rnyboy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY (Bortle 7/8)

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:13 AM

Same here.  Been trying for a new mount out of three possible options since last October with no luck.  I can't even find any reliable information as to when they will be available, just lots of guesses.  Same goes for my new OTA options to go with the new mount.  Very disappointed since it's not like I'm getting any younger.

• teashea likes this

#9 jdk

jdk

Messenger

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:40 AM

The CEM70 looks like it is available on iOptron's website. I just picked up a GEM28 from them directly and it shipped next day. 

#10 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

I noticed that crappy eccentricity values are creeping in my images again when I load up my IEq45 Pro with the 5" refractor and all the imaging gear. Well after 2.5 years it is time for my to upgrade a mount. I want something not too heavy as I am mobile and I would if possible like to have the option of something a little heavier in the future, maybe even a RASA 11.  I was thinking the CEM 70, with a head weight  of 30Lbs. Maybe a GEM45, which would likely not carry a RASA 11.  Well plenty of options. I might even consider a Myt.  

But there literally are no new mounts available!  It seems like a horrible time to need a new mount!

It certainly true that almost all quality pieces of equipment are out of stock.  I recently had to buy four telescopes from Germany and Japan because they were not available in the US.

#11 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

Stop making all these baby steps and just get a lifetime mount now.  You will save much  money in the long run.

However, the wait list for these is a long long long one.  There are a couple topics here on CN that are fun to follow to see the waits of over a year or more.

• limeyx likes this

#12 teashea

teashea

Apollo

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:21 AM

Same here.  Been trying for a new mount out of three possible options since last October with no luck.  I can't even find any reliable information as to when they will be available, just lots of guesses.  Same goes for my new OTA options to go with the new mount.  Very disappointed since it's not like I'm getting any younger.

This is a real problem.  In addition, there may be some mis-information given out to keep the buyer interested.

#13 chakel

chakel

Vostok 1

• Loc: No. CA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:32 AM

Pick up a used AP Mach 1. You won’t regret it.  

• DeanS and limeyx like this

#14 steste1122

steste1122

Explorer 1

• ***--

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:53 AM

The MyT is in stock at OPT.  I almost bought one last week but at the last minute saw they added a used A-P 1100gto and I jumped on that instead.  Also, I have it on good authority a CEM70g may be coming up for sale shortly.

• teashea likes this

#15 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

Hi Ballyhoo,

Before you pull the trigger on a new mount, and I can recommend a Cem70 :-) , a quick question.

‘what’s the focal length of your guide scope?

i was guiding my cem70 w a 180mm guide scope and rarely getting eccentricity below 0,5 (PI measurement).

‘recently, I changed to 400mm guide scope and now the eccentricity is as low as 0,2. Average is now well below 0,4.

the stars are perfectly round now.

‘it’s a bit harder to find a guiding star but I guess using a 80/330mm or so w a bit better f ratio will do the trick.

‘I stick w my 70/400 guiding scope.

cs Joachim 

I've been considering this too. Once I get my new mount, the guiding is going to be looked at. I have the ASI120MM-mini and a 32mm scope, which gives me 6.45arcsec per pixel and I am wondering if I will get better results with something a bit longer here.

My scope is only 360mm, but 6.45 arcsec does seem a bit much, no ? Unfortunately, not sure how to test this w/out actually buying the new gear

#16 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:13 PM

I never thought of  different guide scope. my focal length for the refractor is 665.    the stellarvue guides cope I have I think has a FL of 200.     The guide scope option may be worth exploring as mounts are not available right now. There arent even any used ones I see in the classifieds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on specific guide scope and guidescope ring/bracket options?

thank you!

#17 Boeglewatcher

Boeglewatcher

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Regensburg, Germany

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

I've been considering this too. Once I get my new mount, the guiding is going to be looked at. I have the ASI120MM-mini and a 32mm scope, which gives me 6.45arcsec per pixel and I am wondering if I will get better results with something a bit longer here.

My scope is only 360mm, but 6.45 arcsec does seem a bit much, no ? Unfortunately, not sure how to test this w/out actually buying the new gear

120mm or longer should be ok for a 360mm scope FL assuming that pixel size of the imaging sensor is same as in the asi120mm.

cs Joachim

• limeyx likes this

#18 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:23 PM

120mm or longer should be ok for a 360mm scope FL assuming that pixel size of the imaging sensor is same as in the asi120mm.

cs Joachim

Well I have an APS-C DSLR, so my guiding is 6.45"/px and imaging is 2.2"/px

the 6.45 feels a little large but my ratio fits within what I have seen recommended. It "feels" like having the guider around 1/2 that would give better results

I got the setup I have because I wanted to keep the weight down on the SkyGuider, but I have a new mount coming and so I can up the weight

• Boeglewatcher likes this

#19 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:48 PM

One thing about Ioptron, they have still provided myself and others good tech support.  Even though i purchased a used IEQ45 Pro, anytime I've reached out to Ioptron (granted most times of contact occurred prior to COVID), but I know folks that have received prompt, good support.  For us often, it is to replace a part, and Ioptron has always come thru.  My friend' IEQ45, was the original version and still receives support.  

That being said, I agree with folks here that suggest a more robust, "forever" mount might be in order given your frequency of imaging.

Take care,

Gary

#20 SeymoreStars

SeymoreStars

Gemini

• Loc: Pennsyltucky

Posted 22 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

Building upon a sound foundation, wow what a concept LOL.

• epdreher and limeyx like this

#21 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Depends on your definition of lifetime mount.  I know someone who has been using the same pipe mount for 50+ years. smile.gif

I wish they still made the Mach 1, or the 400 that Roland floated the idea of a few months ago.

Edited by SteveGR, 22 April 2021 - 03:05 PM.

• teashea likes this

#22 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

I have a couple of AP400 non-goto mounts. I like the size myself, especially for travel with the D&S ST-600 tripod. Also have an AP900QMD, that stays home. The only mount in the AP400 size range is the Tak EM-200 Temma II. Had one of those for a few years. I decided it was not worth the $5000 it cost even though it did the job I needed done. If the SB MyT was available then I would have bought it.

What I really would want is something in the size and weight range of the iOptron GEM45 but built by Astro-Physics. That way the initial excitement of owning it  won't go away after a few years when it starts wearing out and/or they decide to stop making it for the next great thing.

#23 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 23 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

I have a couple of AP400 non-goto mounts. I like the size myself, especially for travel with the D&S ST-600 tripod. Also have an AP900QMD, that stays home. The only mount in the AP400 size range is the Tak EM-200 Temma II. Had one of those for a few years. I decided it was not worth the $5000 it cost even though it did the job I needed done. If the SB MyT was available then I would have bought it.
What I really would want is something in the size and weight range of the iOptron GEM45 but built by Astro-Physics. That way the initial excitement of owning it won't go away after a few years when it starts wearing out and/or they decide to stop making it for the next great thing.

Roland recently asked in a forum what people wanted in a mount and he mentioned a new 400 and asked if there was a need for it. He figured it could carry up to a C11. I sure hope he makes it.

#24 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:40 AM

Bravo. 

...and get an OAG. 

• DeanS likes this

#25 acommonsoul

acommonsoul

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Hacienda Heights, Ca

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:15 AM

Astro-Physics has their AP1100 in stock lol

Edited by acommonsoul, 25 April 2021 - 10:17 AM.

• SeymoreStars and limeyx like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics