•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron NexImage Alignment Issue

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieWSlate

CharlieWSlate

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

I have a new Celestron 6" NexImage Telescope with StarSense AutoAlign.  On most occasions when I start the StarSensse Auto Align and get the message "auto align complete - READY" I then tell the telescope to find an object in the sky (using the StarSense Hand Control) and the scope will not go to the object.  Sometimes it will slew just off of the object (the edge of the moon) and sometimes it will slew to a totally different part of the sky?

I level the telecope after I set it up and set the scope to horizontal before I start the StarSense.

Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Charlie

#2 Kelito

Kelito

Lift Off

• Loc: Washington, USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

Hmm. Slewing to almost, but not quite, on the target sounds like a calibration issue. Have you done a recent calibration to make sure the StarSense camera is pointing to the center of what the scope is pointing at? Usually that fixes the problem for me. You can also add alignment points after the auto-align procedure to make the model more accurate. In terms of it slewing to a different part of the sky... all I can say to that is: in my experience, sometimes StarSense just does weird stuff.

Hope this helps,

-Kelly

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

Check and make sure your Location and Time Zone (and DST) are correct. If using SkySync, make sure it is selected as the GPS source.

#4 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

I'm not understanding your description of your telescope.  Celestron has NexStar telescopes, and they use the name NexImage for their astro-imaging cameras.

I'm assuming that you have a NexStar telescope.

The Celestron NexStar mounts are extremely picky about the power source.  If it is only a smidgeon low on power, the mount will act whacky, pretty much as you describe.  What is your power source?  I strongly suggest that if AC power is available, you use the Celestron AC power adapter.  If you must be running on batteries, take a look at the various Li-Ion battery packs that are available.  These will give you quite a few hours of operation with little trouble.

https://www.amazon.c...18498347&sr=8-7

Clear & steady skies!

smp

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics