•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why astrophotography is sooo easy now

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:05 AM

Title says it .. LoL

Just a quick list of things that have come a long way from when I started in 1979

1) now most mounts have fine adjustments for polar alignment

2) autoguiders

3) there is software to help with almost everything

4) forums to read and contact others that do imaging (The internet)

5) Instant gratification of digital (wow i can see if I have something while imaging not after its too late)

• zjc26138, Miguelo and ziggeman like this

#2 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:17 AM

As per Robin Glover's (SharpCap) videos, another game-changer has been the advent of modern CMOS sensors. I think that his point is that their lower read noise means that many shorter exposure images can be stacked to be equivalent of longer exposure CCD images or single film exposure.

Not having to accumulate photons in a single exposure (film) or a fewer, longer exposures (CCD) reduces the precision of tracking required to the point where even the use of an Alt/Az mount is feasible for DSO imaging, if you are not chasing ultimate perfection that is.

I may get flamed for venturing this opinion but I think that it has opened up DSO imaging to many more AP enthusiasts.

There is no doubt that PC software such as SharpCap, FireCapture, DSS, PixInsight, et al are also instrumental. They make image capture and post processing more productive and easier to accomplish.

Edited by Rac19, 16 April 2021 - 06:25 PM.

• zjc26138, Joe F Gafford, Miguelo and 4 others like this

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:21 AM

The creators of capture software like SC, SGP, NINA, APT, etc. and processing programs like Star Tools, PI, APP et al., make it clear that we are certainly standing on the shoulders of Giants. My admiration goes out to the folks who endured through the early (film) days of the hobby of AP to make it viable for almost anyone. Kudos.bow.gif

Edited by Dynan, 16 April 2021 - 05:22 AM.

• zjc26138, Miguelo, t_image and 1 other like this

#4 gwfbmd

gwfbmd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:05 AM

The autoguiding has got to be the best thing.  Back in the 1980s, the contortions and exertions people went to for guiding AP were just nuts.  It did give a great sense of accomplishment when it worked out, though!

I like how AP looks on film.  I think people gave up too easily on it.  With the modern technology for mounts and guiding, not to mention the amazing fast scopes, great work could be done with film these days.

I still remember how magical it was to pull the film out of the developing tub and see those stars on it.  People who have only done digital don't understand what they missed!

• tim53, Eric P, Todd N and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics