•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aurora and Milky Way lens

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kent Blackwell

Kent Blackwell

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:25 AM

I am looking for a lens to capture the aurora and also the Milky Way for my Canon 60Da APS-C DSLR. I'm considering a Rokinon 16mm f/2. Does anyone agree/disagree? Also, do you think the 60Da would be suited to capture the aurora or would a regular 60D be better suited?

#2 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:29 AM

The Rokinon 16mm is a fine lens for Aurora, remember with aurora you don't necessarily need very long exposures, just a lens that is fast so you can capture faster exposures and freeze the aurora bands. The longer your exposure the less detail you get in those bands, so if you can snag a lens that is f1.8 or faster (even with some aberrations which will be masked by the aurora) and is wide enough to capture your scene (it's more difficult to do aurora panoramas due to the rapidly changing nature of aurora) the better off you are. For Milky Way it's a little different, you want a lens that is free of aberrations so you need to be a little more stringent on the quality aspects, the 16mm f2 still falls in this category. Some people will recommend the 14mm f2.8, it's an ok lens but in my experience has worse quality control issues than the 16mm, not to mention a full stop slower. The Sigma Art 14mm is even better than both, sharper, even faster aperture, if you really need something wider than 20mm then it's probably at the top of the list. 

In terms of an astro specific camera, like the 60Da, you won't see any gains from using that for aurora vs the 60D, perhaps slightly more light being collected, but aurora is not an h-alpha specific wavelength which is the benefit of having the 60Da. 

• c2m2t likes this

#3 Kent Blackwell

Kent Blackwell

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:05 AM

Thank you for your response, it's more or less what I was thinking. I'll probably opt for the 16mm f/2 Rokinon for price alone. It's hard to be $300 for a lens I won't use very often.

#4 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Here is a shot taken with the 16mm Rokinon at f/2

https://www.elf-of-l...y_2019_full.jpg

There is visible astigmatism but for the price of the lens this is in the ballpark, imho.

Annotated version in case you get lost:

https://www.elf-of-l...otated_1080.jpg

Edited by the Elf, 19 April 2021 - 08:30 AM.

#5 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

Here is a shot taken with the 16mm Rokinon at f/2

https://www.elf-of-l...y_2019_full.jpg

There is visible astigmatism but for the price of the lens this is in the ballpark, imho.

Seems to have a fair bit of CA too. 

#6 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:43 AM

Yup. You get what you pay for.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics