•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recent interactions with Babak at NexDome?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I ordered pretty much the full shebang from Nexdome in early January. I emailed with Babak a few days later asking about estimated delivery times and he indicated 8-10 weeks. That's fine of course. 12 weeks later, still nothing and I sent a followup email 2 weeks ago asking if he had an updated shipping date.

It's been crickets since.

Has anyone had any interaction with him in the past few weeks? Just want to make sure the business is a going concern and that I can feel OK to keep knocking on that door.

Thanks

#2 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

On March 10th, he quoted me 10-12 weeks delivery.  His response to my initial email was timely.

• Omeganon likes this

#3 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 02:41 PM

On March 10th, he quoted me 10-12 weeks delivery.  His response to my initial email was timely.

Yeah, he responded about an hour ago =) Looks like it might just be a couple more weeks for me to have it in hand.

#4 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

• Loc: Middle of No Where, Wy

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:07 PM

I talked to him on the phone a couple weeks ago. I'm under the impression he is pretty much a one man show at this time. We in the states I think have to realize Canada has way less latitude during this crazy pandemic thing. I'm sure Babak probably is just hating answering the phone at this point. He started apologizing to me about delays immediately. I think he was a little taken aback when I said later is fine and I'm in no hurry just wanted to add something to my order.  

Edited by jfaldo, 17 April 2021 - 06:11 AM.

#5 rpineau

rpineau

Open source X2 plugins for TheSkyX and RTI Zone

• Vendors
  • Loc: CA, USA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:51 PM

I communicate with Babak on regular basis and he's doing his best to get orders out.. but the pandemic is not helping.

Aside from the restriction due to the pandemic (distancing ...), there is also world wide supply chain issues. Think of things like plastic (ABS) stocks being very low.. and these domes are made with ABS add to the "regular" pandemic restrictions. Same with a lot of electronic components, parts taking a lot more time to be delivered, ....

So until this pandemic is under control, small companies will move at a slower pace while trying their best to deliver.

Rodolphe

• xthestreams likes this

#6 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

So until this pandemic is under control, small companies will move at a slower pace while trying their best to deliver.

Rodolphe

Yup, I totally understand and I wasn’t expecting anything more than (hopefully) an updated shipping estimate. That he hadn’t responded for 2 weeks gave me pause. Given that things _are_ moving at a slower pace, the ability to respond to customers should be increased, especially for such a small business as his ;)

Edited by Omeganon, 17 April 2021 - 04:47 PM.

#7 gundark

gundark

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:44 AM

I second what everyone else has said about Babak. I had an email exchange with him this week and he was responsive, as always. I ordered a pier for my NexDome in February and he quoted me six weeks. It is closer to nine now but he said he will receive a batch of piers next week. As others have said, he is a one-man show and doing the best he can. 

#8 2infinity

2infinity

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:38 AM

Wow I didn't know that he is  a one man show, knowing this doing he is doing a excellent job!  (WALK IN THE MANS SHOES)

#9 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:26 AM

So just a little update if anyone is wondering? I called NexDome yesterday to just get a feel for what was happening. Was a little surprised when a female answered the phone. Think her name was Evelyn but now don't recall for sure. Babak I gathered hired her to help with the administrative stuff. She was very pleasant to speak with. So if I was following her correctly it looks like supplies are starting to pick up and they are getting ready to fill a run of orders. I think she said 17 or 18. She couldn't tell me if I made this cut though. So there's hope that I can get my dome installed before winter comes back around. Just thought some of you out there may like to know.

• Omeganon likes this

#10 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 08 June 2021 - 08:10 PM

FYI.....ON The Astro Imaging Channel this next Sunday the topic will be installation of a NexDome. (Sunday, June 13, 9:30 p.m. eastern on YouTube) 

Alex

• Omeganon likes this

#11 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 08 June 2021 - 09:02 PM

Thanks Alex looking forward to it.

#12 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 June 2021 - 08:40 AM

So just a little update if anyone is wondering? I called NexDome yesterday to just get a feel for what was happening. Was a little surprised when a female answered the phone. Think her name was Evelyn but now don't recall for sure. Babak I gathered hired her to help with the administrative stuff. She was very pleasant to speak with. So if I was following her correctly it looks like supplies are starting to pick up and they are getting ready to fill a run of orders. I think she said 17 or 18. She couldn't tell me if I made this cut though. So there's hope that I can get my dome installed before winter comes back around. Just thought some of you out there may like to know.

Thanks for this. We had an email exchange about it about a month ago where he expected mine to ship at the end of May. It hasn’t yet so I expect I’ll be in this batch. 

• Raginar likes this

#13 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:29 AM

Hope you get it this run Omeganon. She didn't say that mine wasn't in this batch she just couldn't say one way or the other. Being new I left it at that, didn't want to stress the poor girl out in her new job. If it is well then good if not I'll go back to patiently waiting. Being they have had no control over the last years events I'm not getting excited about the whole ordeal.

• Omeganon likes this

#14 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:52 PM

FYI.....ON The Astro Imaging Channel this next Sunday the topic will be installation of a NexDome. (Sunday, June 13, 9:30 p.m. eastern on YouTube) 

Alex

Sorry, Folks. There was a storm that caused a power failure and internet failure tonight with the person who streams the show. So, we had to postpone Rory to another weekend, August 15. Real sorry for anybody who was disappointed by not being able to see the show. 

Alex

#15 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:52 PM

I was waiting with bated breath and was really disappointed, ruined my Sunday evening lol.gif.  Thanks Alex for you and your teams hard work it's greatly appreciated.

#16 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:34 PM

If you think it ruined your Sunday evening, imagine what it did for those of us who spent a few furious hours trying to get a work-around to go. And the really annoying thing is that it worked its way through triple redundancy! (or is it double redundancy when you have the primary and two backups?)

Alex

#17 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:54 PM

Hope you get it this run Omeganon. She didn't say that mine wasn't in this batch she just couldn't say one way or the other. Being new I left it at that, didn't want to stress the poor girl out in her new job. If it is well then good if not I'll go back to patiently waiting. Being they have had no control over the last years events I'm not getting excited about the whole ordeal.

It’s haaaaaaapening. Should be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday :)

#18 darksolstice

darksolstice

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

I'm in Murfreesboro , I might need to pay you a visit ! ordering my end of the month .

Edited by darksolstice, 12 July 2021 - 08:31 PM.

• Omeganon likes this

#19 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:52 PM

Good deal glad it's finally coming together. Still waiting for the word here. Hopefully any day now.

• Omeganon likes this

#20 jfaldo

jfaldo

Ranger 4

Posted 12 July 2021 - 09:54 PM

I'm in Murfreesboro , I might need to pay you a visit ! ordering my end of the month .

Well you know he will probably need help getting it set upwaytogo.gif

• Omeganon likes this

#21 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:03 PM

If you’ve been in the area long enough to remember when the Nashville Zoo was north of Joelton, that’s where it’s going wink.gif In the giraffe and elephant field. 

Edited by Omeganon, 12 July 2021 - 11:04 PM.

• darksolstice likes this

#22 darksolstice

darksolstice

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:44 PM

been in the area over 40 years ...

• Omeganon likes this

#23 Don1957

Don1957

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 July 2021 - 07:59 PM

It’s haaaaaaapening. Should be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday smile.gif

Well did you receive your dome?  Did you order the rotation and shutter kit?

We need pics or video or both.  lol

• Omeganon likes this

#24 Omeganon

Omeganon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:34 PM

Well did you receive your dome?  Did you order the rotation and shutter kit?

We need pics or video or both.  lol

Hah stuck in customs in Memphis. I submitted the paperwork yesterday but no status change yet. I’ll give FedEx a call tomorrow. I ordered almost the full shebang. Dome, extra bay, rotation and shutter kit and the pier. 

Edited by Omeganon, 13 July 2021 - 08:35 PM.

#25 Don1957

Don1957

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:56 PM

Hah stuck in customs in Memphis. I submitted the paperwork yesterday but no status change yet. I’ll give FedEx a call tomorrow. I ordered almost the full shebang. Dome, extra bay, rotation and shutter kit and the pier. 

This is from the facebook group called We love our nexdome observatories! 

I know some of you have received a bill from FedEx about the customs duties/tax. What you need to do is email FedEx at this email address: dutytaxdisputes@fedex.com you also need to attach the CUSMA form that was attached to your shipment. Usually that is missed. Also put the tracking number from the shipment in the email. NexDome pays all the fees/taxes so you do not have too. It does take time. From when I sent the email to when it got cleared up was a couple months.   

This post was from another member on the facebook group.

Hope this helps

Don

Edited by Don1957, 13 July 2021 - 09:04 PM.

• Omeganon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics