•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FITS Header to PNG or JPG Metadata

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbklb1

sbklb1

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:02 PM

I would like to know what people do to migrate the FITS header data over to PNG, TIFF, or JPG files. All of my camera tools (KSTARS/EKOS, N.I.N.A., etc) and stacking tools (DSS, Siril, PixInsight, GIMP) support (or populate) FITS headers with useful information (WCS data, processing history, etc), but it is not clear to me on how to keep this as part of my final PNG or JPG image.

I have looked here in CN and across the web for best practices for migrating FITS header data to metadata in PNG or JPG files, but feel there are gaps.  A search will certainly come up with Virtualastronomy.org and the VAMP and AVM metadata objectives.  Software tools like PyAVM, astropy.io, and Exiftool will allow me to extract the FITS header and attempt to put this into the metadata, but I am surprised by the lack of examples where people have done this.

Am I missing something?  Can people provide the "best practices" and methods they use to take FITS header information and populate metadata for other (more publishable) image formats?  What "best practices" are people using for managing metadata, search images based on metadata, or creating a database for images that you have created over the past years?

I have about 200 images that I have created so far, and using filename as the single source is not working for me.  Advice please.

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

I only use JPG for final display to people who don't care about the header details.

For my friends & colleagues who care about the procedural details, I just give them the FITs.

#3 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 25 April 2021 - 02:39 PM

I do not expect fits header information encoded in jpeg exif or png metadata. I like the idea though.

I think Ken summarized it well :)

If you come up with something nice I'll adopt it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics