•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Double Vision in Binoculars - What is the Best Fix?

Binoculars Eyepieces Imaging Observing
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AaronLatif

AaronLatif

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:50 PM

Have you ever faced double vision in Binoculars? What's the best possible solution for you? What do you say about these 7 Methods to Fix Double Vision?

Double-vision-Humans-only-experience-sin

#2 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Back to the retailer or the menders. Collimated binoculars should give anrelaxed single image, if your eyes need to fight to merge them then something is wrong and it won’t be a comfortable view.

Peter
  • DeanD likes this

#3 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 16 April 2021 - 05:48 PM

You should have no problem seeing through well made binoculars without trying to do anything. Once the binoculars are adjusted for the differences in vision between each eye, the visual effect should be sharp and clear. If you are trying to do anything there's something wrong with the binocular or in rare instances your eyesight. watching.gif

• Cory Suddarth and DeanD like this

#4 DeanD

DeanD

Messenger

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:10 PM

Hi Aaron, I had a look at the link you provided, and I think it needs a lot more work to be at all useful. It is confusing, badly written, unfinished, and could cause unnecessary damage to your binoculars if you try to follow his ideas.

For instance:

- he talks of using a hex-key (and even has a image of a set of hex-keys) for adjusting the collimation screws, but collimation screws are almost always adjusted using a small normal screwdriver.

- his images don't relate to the text: eg. he talks of "removing the rubberised body" (which is great way to wreck the binoculars if you don't know what you are doing), and shows an image of the prism covers and the eyepieces having been removed: which is not something you would normally have to do. The image shown for "Cross threaded gap fixation" (!!??) bears no connection to his text. (I believe he means that the objective lens may have been taken off and re-attached badly, which can happen, but neither his text or his image are helpful.) 

- Method 4: "switching the objective barrels - perfect alignment" makes no sense, and is not possible anyway.

- Method 5: "overtightening" also makes no sense and could cause damage

- Method 6: "Rear lens- collimation" also makes no sense at all.

- Method 7: "Use tripod to level binocular"  - this is not going to correct mis-collimation!

- even at the start he says "This is because the objective lens and mirror are not properly attached to the binoculars." What mirror? No commercially available standard binoculars use mirrors...

I could go on, but I hope you get my drift. There are many and much better sites out there which could help with collimation, and I certainly wouldn't use this one. If you have new binoculars that are not properly collimated, then PEterW's advice above is the best "fix"!

All the best,

Dean

Edited by DeanD, 16 April 2021 - 07:11 PM.

• KennyJ, Cory Suddarth, Grimnir and 2 others like this

#5 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:10 PM

The thing I have read if collimation is not done by someone with the right knowledge and equipment some success may be achieved but only with the binoculars set to the distance between the eyes of the person doing the adjusting and possibly only for whatever distance for the target the person chose to do the adjustment.

#6 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:00 AM

Have you ever faced double vision in Binoculars? What's the best possible solution for you? What do you say about these 7 Methods to Fix Double Vision?

It's incompetent advice, incompetently written.

Graham

• Cory Suddarth, SMark and Foss like this

#7 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 17 April 2021 - 04:26 AM

.... get a copy of Bills book.....

Peter
  • Cory Suddarth and SMark like this

#8 DeanD

DeanD

Messenger

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:28 AM

.... get a copy of Bills book.....

Peter

Sorry to sound a bit ignorant, but which Bill, and what is his book?

#9 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:44 AM

Sorry to sound a bit ignorant, but which Bill, and what is his book?

Understanding & Attaining 3-Axis Binocular Collimation by William J. Cook

Graham

• Cory Suddarth, harbinjer and DeanD like this

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:08 AM

Had a pair of binoculars that performed fine during the day, at night looking at stars the showed double images.  I adjusted the columniation and all is well.  Don't rely on an adjustment made in daylight.

• LU1AR likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars, Eyepieces, Imaging, Observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics