•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund flat setting circle gaskets

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:42 PM

These are the gaskets for the Edmund grey 1" shaft mount setting circles. They are 1/4" thick rubber. The originals are a few thousandths over, these I made are a few thousandths under 1/4".  The thinner size will let me ship in a regular envelope.

I use a circle cutter. There is a lot to be cautious of with one of these, in particular you are spinning a long bar.  That bar will hit will hit everything from your hand to your clamps to everything.  Do a complete dry run test for clearance. Each blade is at a different radius, one cuts the inside while the other cuts the outside. You need to have the cutting edge face the right direction. INside cutter faces out, Outside cutter faces in.  The rubber needs to be clamped securely under a top piece. I drilled a 3" hole in my top board to clear the cutter parts.  You should set the blade depths so the inside cutter finishes first, then the outside cutter frees the ring. The other way around won't work. 

Inside diameter is 1.9",  outside diameter can vary but close to 2-1/4".  I make the outside a little bigger than original but not large enough to cover circle print. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010019.JPG
  • P1010020.JPG

• danmdak, clamchip and steve t like this

#2 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 April 2021 - 06:51 PM

Notice how each blade has the flat cutting face towards the ring.  I used a back guide (paint stir stick) because I was making a bunch. These turn out pretty clean with straight sides. I did touch up the blades a little before I started. Starting from scratch, rounding things up, jigging, checking fits, it took about an hour to make 27 rings when I ran out of rubber strips.  The strips were rolled up for years so there is some curvature in the pictures that makes them look more worbally than they are. There are some minor irregularities that will never show if you don't say anything. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010021.JPG
  • P1010022 - Copy.JPG

• clamchip, steve t and PawPaw like this

#3 1939Dodge

1939Dodge

Vostok 1

• Loc: Pa.

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:04 PM

Where specifically are they used?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics