•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellina or Light Track II

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

I am wondering which of these two options (no other options for this topic) would yield better images of DSO's.

Stellina

Light Track II its premium optional components and a modified DSLR and premium 200mm fixed telephoto lens and carbon fiber tripod.  

I have been researching both and its seems both can provide some nice results with ease of use.  

#2 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: new york

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

Stellina is about $4000.00

Fornax LTII is about $700.00

I may be missing something here?
  • Jim Waters likes this

#3 jdk

jdk

Messenger

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:34 PM

Between these two, the Fornax. The ability to choose your own sensor and lens combination - combined with the extreme no-fuss tracking accuracy of the mount - will make for a seriously capable little rig that does not require a separate device (computer, phone, etc) to operate. I would feel limited by the fixed sensor and optics of the Stellina.

• Jim Waters, nyairman and teashea like this

#4 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

Maybe if you are thinking of outreach/public star party/family gathering, then Stellina might be the better option?

• teashea likes this

#5 teashea

teashea

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:33 PM

Also have to include the cost of the camera, lens, tripod and other accessories from Formax

#6 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

Also have to include the cost of the camera, lens, tripod and other accessories from Formax

So I still think the LTII in this case wins
  • teashea likes this

#7 rj144

rj144

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:22 PM

Light Track II doesn't have any premium optical components, does it?  It's a star tracker.

• teashea likes this

#8 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:39 PM

Light Track II doesn't have any premium optical components, does it? It's a star tracker.

The op stated "optional components", not "optical components".
  • rj144 likes this

#9 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:47 PM

I still think the LighTrack II is a better investment. I did not opt for the Fornax wedge. I went with a machine head and eventually a Polemaster to replace the polar scope bundled with the LTII.

That said, I did already have a Canon camera and zoon lens to start with.

So, the next question is this. If you are willing to spend $4000 on this Stellina, what about spending that same amount of money on a nice GEM and scope?

Welcome to the money pit that is called astronomy 🙂
  • Reece likes this

#10 Brainebula

Brainebula

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:28 AM

Greg, I'd love to know what gear was used to create those images on that website. Some of them are very impressive. http://www.totallygraphic.smugmug.com/

For example, what else besides the Tele Vue NP127is, DSLR, and that mount? Maybe Polemaster? Other gear? Your rig looks like it might exceed $10k, no? 

Edited by Brainebula, 18 April 2021 - 05:39 AM.

#11 nyairman

nyairman

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:49 AM

Greg, I'd love to know what gear was used to create those images on that website. Some of them are very impressive. http://www.totallygraphic.smugmug.com/

For example, what else besides the Tele Vue NP127is, DSLR, and that mount? Maybe Polemaster? Other gear? Your rig looks like it might exceed $10k, no? 

Thank you Brainebula! There are 2 astrophotography galleries. One with images created with the Fornax LTII along with static tripods, and with my Canon camera's and lense's.

The 2nd gallery are images created using the iOptron mount and TV telescope, and with the Canon camera's. I have just started using a ZWO 533mc Pro

When I started astrophotography, I decided to invest $1,000 into it to see if I would enjoy it. I already had a tripod, camera's and lenses. After purchasing the LTII and machine head and a few other accessories, by budget came in at $990!  After becoming hooked, I upgraded to a polemaster Polar Scope because kneeling on the ground trying to get the PS lined up was not kind to my aging body. I eventually purchased a surveyors tripod from Home Depot for $75.00 for better stability.

So the LTII rig right now has about $1300 invested in it. The "big rig" is another story. That rig does exceed $10,000.

That being said, you can find a used or refurbished DSLR in the neighborhood of $250. Then you would have access to many different lenses as well. 

Here is the LTII rig:

tripod1c

#12 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:02 PM

An odd choice.  One is goto and presents stacked images, a virtually self contained unit and the other is just a camera tracker.  Any images taken by a camera on the tracker would require post processing.  How is this even a choice?

#13 jdk

jdk

Messenger

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:40 PM

An odd choice.  One is goto and presents stacked images, a virtually self contained unit and the other is just a camera tracker.  Any images taken by a camera on the tracker would require post processing.  How is this even a choice?

Because one locks you in to a fixed FOV, resolution, and speed. 1 degree, 6MP, f/5. 

• nyairman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics