•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Am I getting a good deal on this 200p Skyliner?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Danw22

Danw22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

Hey guys,

This will be my first telescope, really excited to get my hands on it but wanted to ask you guys if I was getting a good deal as I don't know much about telescopes yet.

I'm buying 2nd hand to try save some money. This is what I will be getting.

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope
Svbony 7 Bright Level Collimator
Seben Zoom Telescope Eyepiece 7.5-22.5mm
Svbony 2x Barlow Lens
Solomark Telescope Moon and Skyglow 1.25 Inch Filter

The price is 350euro.  Is this a good deal? Is there any questions I should ask before buying?

Would really appreciate any advice you may have.

• sevenofnine likes this

#2 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

I would say it's a fair deal considering the times. The Covid Pandemic has destroyed the supply chain of Asian made telescopes and accessories. Used scopes in very good shape are getting premium prices. Pre-pandemic new price for that scope with the usual included kit of 2 eyepieces, red dot finder and other minor accessories like a planisphere would be about $400. The accessories included in your deal would be roughly $200. If the scope is in like new condition with a nice shiny mirror (ignore dust) then the seller will most likely get his price, if not from you then someone else. Hope this helps. Good luck! waytogo.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 17 April 2021 - 10:58 AM.

• Deep13 likes this

#3 Deep13

Deep13

Aurora

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

I'm not familiar with European pricing, but it seems like it would be close to a retail price in the USA. If it is cheaper than European retail, then it's a good deal. That assumes there is nothing wrong with the mirrors or the base.

#4 Spile

Spile

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:26 PM

It is roughly what I paid for new last year but you have some extras and prices have gone up a lot. Not a bargain but not bad either imho.

#5 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:37 PM

Seems ok, if everything is ok. Prices may vary depending on where you live. It is a good idea to go through ebay and your local astro websites to get an idea of the local prices.

#6 Danw22

Danw22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

Local price new is about 500 euro, although nowhere seems to have them in stock.  So I think I am getting a pretty good deal. Thanks for your opinions guys, they have put my mind at ease.

Are the eyepieces I am getting any good? I really don't know enough to know. Will I need to buy any eyepieces  for it? Am I missing out on any things I would get with the scope if I bought it new?

• Deep13 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics