•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help identifying what crossed my frame

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

Hey all,

Yesterday morning I caught something crossing my frame that I'm trying to identify while imaging Markarian's chain. Each frame is 60s, so it took roughly 5 minutes to cross the field of view and pulsed in brightness over a 120s period. The frames are approximately 1*57'x1*20', according to Stellarium (ASI294 chip behind a 560mm scope). The first frame was taken at 02:07:11AM and the last frame at 02:11:17AM, pacific standard time. I checked this time period in Stellarium and didn't see any satellites there, but I'm sure there are better sources that I'm not familiar with. I suspect something tumbling in space as that would explain the shifts in brightness... perhaps a spent rocket stage? These are screencaps of the unprocessed subframes but I can provide the FIT files if those would help.

Thanks in advance! And if there is a better forum I should be asking this in please let me know, I wasn't sure.

Edit- Forgot to mention that these were taken from St Helens, Oregon, USA.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg

Edited by ravenhawk82, 16 April 2021 - 09:02 PM.

#2 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Skylab

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

Looks like you picked up Falcon 9 R/B #42968. As you mentioned ... it's tumbling rocket body (R/B). The attached plot is for St Helens, Oregon on 4/15/2021 starting at 2:07:32 AM.

Nice catch ....

Falcon_9_R-B.jpg

• CCD-Freak and ravenhawk82 like this

#3 tomb18

tomb18

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:43 AM

Hi I saw this a few times this spring, imaging Markarians Chain as well.
I saw this over a couple 5 minute shots.
Tom

#4 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:12 PM

Looks like you picked up Falcon 9 R/B #42968. As you mentioned ... it's tumbling rocket body (R/B). The attached plot is for St Helens, Oregon on 4/15/2021 starting at 2:07:32 AM.

Wow! Thanks for helping figure that out :D Where did you go to get that plot? That's a pretty handy resource to have

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Skylab

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:22 AM

Wow! Thanks for helping figure that out laugh.gif Where did you go to get that plot? That's a pretty handy resource to have

I use TheSky6 planetarium program to plot out the "Full Catalog" of satellites. rocket bodies and debris (21,000+ entries) which I download from space-track.org. Any planetarium program that handles earth orbiting satellites will have similar plotting capabilities.

• dswtan and ravenhawk82 like this

#6 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

I use TheSky6 planetarium program to plot out the "Full Catalog" of satellites. rocket bodies and debris (21,000+ entries) which I download from space-track.org. Any planetarium program that handles earth orbiting satellites will have similar plotting capabilities.

Thanks! I'll look into this. Stellarium shows where a lot of satellites are but doesn't seem to list rockets and debris, so I'll see about getting this for the next time I find something weird :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics