•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M106 multi narrowband

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 meegja

meegja

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 16 April 2021 - 09:33 PM

My first longer integration time object smile.gif M106 in multi narrowband with the Optolong L-Pro for Ha, Hb, OOII, NII and SII and the Optolong L-eNhance for Ha, Hb and OIII

In total 15 and a half hours. It was more because originally I planned to mix broad- and narrowband. But the broadband just was a lot of brown/orange.

Processing all this was a challenge too: first time this much data and narrowband.

Plus a new record: all this is with tracking only with my Ioptron CEM25EC mount. And with the L-eNhance captures I managed to get close to 9 minutes unguided laugh.gif Just love that mount.

All in all I am pleased with the result. I lacked the best filter though: dark skies. I am in Bortle 7/8 and because of that I couldn't manage to capture both the secondary arms of M106. But already stoked that I have 1 of them smile.gif

The main capture is scaled down to 2400px. Also processed the L-Enhance data separately and that one is not scaled down.

The full 2400px version can be seen here: https://i.ibb.co/8KZ...-narrowband.jpg

Bortle 7/8
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC mount (no guiding)
Optolong L-Pro filter
Optolong L-eNhance filter
Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro @ -10 Celsius
Optolong L-Pro: 83 x 240 sec / Gain 10 / Offset 10 / White balance R50 B50
Optolong L-Pro: 31 x 300 sec / Gain 200 / Offset 28 / White balance R50 B50
Optonlong L-eNhance: 51 x 535 sec / Gain 175 / Offset 20 / White balance R50 B50

Stacked the 3 sets with DeepSkyStacker

Processed with Siril and Photoshop
Siril: each stack separately with Background Extraction and Histogram, saved as TIF
Photoshop: layered the 3 images with 50% opacity, Camera Raw Filter (blacks, saturation, clarity, noise reduction), scaled down to 2400px.

M106 core L-eNhance

M106_enhancesm.jpg

M106 main capture multi narrowband

M106_Narrowsm.jpg

• lambermo, mikewayne3, eros312 and 16 others like this

#2 lambermo

lambermo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 25 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

Spectacular bow.gif

And 9 minutes unguided at f/10 as well.

• meegja likes this

#3 meegja

meegja

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:02 PM

Spectacular bow.gif

And 9 minutes unguided at f/10 as well.

Thanks!!
Already did brake that personal record now: busy with M82 with 10 minute exposures smile.gif  See https://www.cloudyni...narrowband-wip/ 
I really do love that mount.

#4 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:48 PM

Thanks!!
Already did brake that personal record now: busy with M82 with 10 minute exposures smile.gif  See https://www.cloudyni...narrowband-wip/ 
I really do love that mount.

Very nice image! But reading the linked post above, aren't you basically just manually guiding in RA? Don't mean to take away anything from the hard work done, but calling it unguided is misleading.

• meegja likes this

#5 meegja

meegja

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:10 AM

Very nice image! But reading the linked post above, aren't you basically just manually guiding in RA? Don't mean to take away anything from the hard work done, but calling it unguided is misleading.

A bit yes but mostly no. I am not constantly adjusting. Like now I am doing 600 second exposures and I have to adjust maybe once every 30 or 40 minutes. During the exposure I can not adjust anything: I only see if there is a deviation when an exposure is done and only then I can adjust if needed.
So yes, I use the same principle as with guiding but the ruling factor overall, is the tracking.

#6 premk19

premk19

Viking 1

Posted 26 April 2021 - 12:14 AM

A bit yes but mostly no. I am not constantly adjusting. Like now I am doing 600 second exposures and I have to adjust maybe once every 30 or 40 minutes. During the exposure I can not adjust anything: I only see if there is a deviation when an exposure is done and only then I can adjust if needed.
So yes, I use the same principle as with guiding but the ruling factor overall, is the tracking.

Ah, you're right. No way to see the movement in real time while doing long exposures. That's very impressive performance from your mount then! You have a very good sample. Congratulations!
  • meegja likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics