•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bootes Void

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brida1709a

brida1709a

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sioux Falls, SD

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:23 PM

I have a topic that I have been itching to discuss about for some time now, and would love your valuable input. What are your thoughts, and ideas, pertaining to the current data information on the Bootes supervoid?
I found this article that gives information on the Bootes Void.
https://en.wikipedia...as a supervoid.
Here is a YouTube video that better explains in more detail on the Bootes Void...

https://youtu.be/eiN5UaGIgyA

#2 brida1709a

brida1709a

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

I find it fascinating as to how HUGE this void is in comparison to other voids that are located throughout the observable cosmos. This is not including to the Eridanus Void, which is comparable to Bootes. few galaxies exist within it, as to only compare this to traversing across the continental US, from LA to NYC and passing 4-5 towns along the way in between.  

• Benschop likes this

#3 Benschop

Benschop

Mariner 2

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:28 PM

Interesting topic.

Quote from astronomer Greg Aldering, Discover Magazine, Aug 1995

"the scale of the void is such that If the Milky Way had been in the center of the Boötes void, we wouldn't have known there were other galaxies until the 1960s"

Source Link

https://web.archive....v16/ai_17253874

• brida1709a likes this

#4 Brakshowpkt

Brakshowpkt

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:31 PM

Definitely makes you think the universe isn't as homogenous as originally thought, however since we can't see the entire universe its hard to tell how uniform the spread of these voids are.

It's still pretty crazy to think that such huge expanses of space exist with so little in them. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess, because if current thinking on dark energy and the expansion of the universe is right, future worlds will never get to witness any of this. We're lucky to have come around early enough in the universe to see so much of it :)
  • brida1709a likes this

#5 brida1709a

brida1709a

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:33 PM

Interesting topic.

Quote from astronomer Greg Aldering, Discover Magazine, Aug 1995

"the scale of the void is such that If the Milky Way had been in the center of the Boötes void, we wouldn't have known there were other galaxies until the 1960s"

Source Link

https://web.archive....v16/ai_17253874

Yes! One could only imagine how an observer from that galaxy would even explain such a extra-remarkable sight. And to only think, he or she might have thought they were the only galaxy in the whole observable universe!

#6 brida1709a

brida1709a

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:41 PM

Definitely makes you think the universe isn't as homogenous as originally thought, however since we can't see the entire universe its hard to tell how uniform the spread of these voids are.

It's still pretty crazy to think that such huge expanses of space exist with so little in them. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess, because if current thinking on dark energy and the expansion of the universe is right, future worlds will never get to witness any of this. We're lucky to have come around early enough in the universe to see so much of it smile.gif

Seeing the cosmic horizon is not as simple as seeing the blue horizon on a clear summer day. At least the terrestrial horizon displays "something" of evidence of existence of a boundary at a distance. The cosmic horizon line is as invisible as seeing the horizon on earth undetectable on a moonless night. If you aske me, it sounds like a perfect storyline to a Sci-Fi psychological thriller directed by the late Stanley Kubrick. It should be entitled "Void Centre". 

#7 brida1709a

brida1709a

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:55 PM

According to studies, it appears that the Bootes Void is about 26.53° in diameter in the night sky. Located at 14h 50m and +46°. That's a lot of sky!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics