•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 7023 - Iris Nebula

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:38 PM

Revisit of this target after a year or so, this time I am processing with the aim to really extract the dark nebula in the scene. Lots of stuff going on here, very lovely framing/target.

Thanks for viewing.

CS,

Yizhou

get.jpg?insecure

• noodle, rwstanley, mrowlands and 19 others like this

#2 Huangdi

Huangdi

Apollo

Posted 18 April 2021 - 04:34 AM

Great image! So much detail, so much dust 😍
  • yzhzhang likes this

#3 AstronomyFred

AstronomyFred

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:01 AM

Geat image, nice "smokey" dark nebulae....

• yzhzhang likes this

#4 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:50 AM

Beautiful capture of this popular target.  There is a lot of wispy detail in the reflection nebulae.  I have struggled to get the dark portions of the nebular correct.  Even after 15 hours of integration under decently dark skies, there was a lot of noise in the dark regions.  I needed to apply aggressive noise reduction to smooth it out.  Also, I have struggled with how much color the dark nebulae should have.  Some people render the entire Iris as nearly gray, whereas other images show contrasting aquamarine-blue with rich, reddish brown in the dark nebulae.  I'm not sure what the "natural" colors should look like, and how much of the variation I've seen is just due to processing enhancements.

• yzhzhang likes this

#5 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

Beautiful image, very well processed and with a lot of detail in the reflexión nebula.
  • yzhzhang likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics