•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Needle Galaxy. It is what it is...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:55 AM

I know that going to a dark site would get me better results, but it is what it is...

Imaging from my city backyard, I wonder what techniques you guys use to get better results at shooting galaxies.

It's the galaxy season, isn't it? Bye-bye narrow band and multi-band filters, welcome back my old and trusty friend - UV/IR cut filter.

This is a 3 hour integration of 2 min subs, shot using a 6" RC scope with a 0.67x telecompressor.

Nikon D5300 full spectrum + UV/IR cut filter.

Autosave_proc_jpeg.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, jgraham, zjc26138 and 16 others like this

#2 adosaj

adosaj

Explorer 1

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:14 AM

Looks fantastic! Will have to give this target a try once I have my 6SE ready. 

• asanmax likes this

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:33 AM

Very nice capture!

... welcome back my old and trusty friend - UV/IR cut filter.

Good, I just picked up a Optolong UV-IR  cut filter to try and get some spirals.

BTW, you live in one my three favorite cities: Vancouver, BC, Hong Kong, and my birthplace, San Francisco. I would love to get another visit to Vancouver.

• asanmax likes this

#4 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:45 AM

Nice image.

It is sharp and well defined. If it would be mine,i would be satified

• asanmax likes this

#5 ziggeman

ziggeman

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 02:23 AM

Very nice <3 . And with a telescope of moderate size.

I see a lot of cool images at CN all the time and the digital evolution in astronomy is amazing since I was shooting old Kodak film like 103A-F, So115, Echtachrome etc. A lot has happend! :)..

The thing that all the time itches my mind when I see the way its done nowadays is all the 'Subs' taken. It often gives nice results and very much less startrailing than it used to 'analog days'. But,-say 100 subs of each 30 secs or more. And sometimes subs taken with days between them.

What 'bothers' me is : What happends in between the subs? Was there a bright flash from a spinning neutronstar or a sudden reflection from a fast asteroid? What is lost in a picture the moment the camera shutter is off. Thats what Im thinking :) 

• asanmax likes this

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

Most excellent!

I do all of my imaging from my Bortle 8 backyard and for some reason we have run into a months long stream of poor transparency on top of sky glow. We used to get lensed SQM reading on the order of 18.6, but 18.3 now seems to be the new normal. As you say, it is what it is. Not every image can be a Hubble look-a-like, but it's still amazing what we can see with our cameras. A couple of nights ago I NGC-hopped the Virgo cluster with my 12" and most were no-shows and the rest were just the soft glow of their cores. I luvs my cameras!

Nicely done!

• asanmax likes this

#7 asanmax

asanmax

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

Looks fantastic! Will have to give this target a try once I have my 6SE ready. 

Nice image.

It is sharp and well defined. If it would be mine,i would be satified

Thank you!

#8 asanmax

asanmax

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:05 AM

Very nice capture!

Good, I just picked up a Optolong UV-IR  cut filter to try and get some spirals.

BTW, you live in one my three favorite cities: Vancouver, BC, Hong Kong, and my birthplace, San Francisco. I would love to get another visit to Vancouver.

Thank you. I use exactly the same Optolong filter.

Welcome to Vancouver, any time after all the craziness settles down a bit :)

#9 asanmax

asanmax

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:07 AM

What 'bothers' me is : What happends in between the subs? Was there a bright flash from a spinning neutronstar or a sudden reflection from a fast asteroid? What is lost in a picture the moment the camera shutter is off. Thats what Im thinking smile.gif

I sometimes ask myself the same question. We are not capturing the "moment" and I always see other stuff in the images, like meteors. Those single subs can sometimes be great images on their own.

• ziggeman likes this

#10 asanmax

asanmax

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

Most excellent!

I do all of my imaging from my Bortle 8 backyard and for some reason we have run into a months long stream of poor transparency on top of sky glow. We used to get lensed SQM reading on the order of 18.6, but 18.3 now seems to be the new normal. As you say, it is what it is. Not every image can be a Hubble look-a-like, but it's still amazing what we can see with our cameras. A couple of nights ago I NGC-hopped the Virgo cluster with my 12" and most were no-shows and the rest were just the soft glow of their cores. I luvs my cameras!

Nicely done!

Thank you! We also have average or below average seeing here almost all the time. Living between the ocean and the mountains has its disadvantages. I actually have the Virgo Cluster on my to-do list and hope I will have time to image it this year.

#11 asanmax

asanmax

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:14 AM

For anyone who is wondering what a single sub looks like, here it is.

Straight from the camera, unstretched and uncropped.

L_0010_ISO800_120s__NA.jpg

Edited by asanmax, 17 April 2021 - 10:15 AM.

• lambermo, EricTheCat, adosaj and 1 other like this

#12 boxcorner

boxcorner

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France 45.29,2.22 (Bortle 3)

Posted 17 April 2021 - 02:09 PM

So nice.

• asanmax likes this

#13 mic1970

mic1970

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:44 PM

@miki - you must really love light pollution.  lol.gif

Very nice capture!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics