•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Any aircraft frame mechanics on here?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clivemilne

clivemilne

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Oz

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:13 AM

I'd be interested to hear about solid riveting guns, technique, etc...  

I'm looking at picking up this skill so would appreciate some advice.

best

~c

#2 mashirts

mashirts

Viking 1

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:21 AM

Not one here. That is beautiful work, the riveting. Would fit well with ATM no doubt.
  • clivemilne and Augustus like this

#3 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

I'm not an A&P either. I've watched plenty of videos on this subject back when I was thinking of building and EA (I still want to do that someday). It's very straightforward but it's also an art. My recommendation is to look up the local EAA chapter near you and talk to them - those guys love educating people just like we do with astronomy to novices. They are always open to new blood, even if it's not for specifically building an aircraft.

For supplies, Aircraft Spruce is the go to spot for homebuilders:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/

• LU1AR likes this

#4 Spectral Joe

Spectral Joe

Messenger

• Loc: Livermore CA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 01:57 PM

The EAA suggestion is an excellent one, and if you join you get free Solidworks. As for tools, also look at https://www.aircraft-tool.com/ .

My advice is not to skimp if you're going to be doing a lot of rivets, get a good quality adjustable gun. They make little control valves that go on the air inlet of the gun to regulate the speed and force, get one with the gun. Like a lot of "manual arts", the act of driving the rivet is quick to master, the real work is figuring out how to deal with bucking the rivet in odd positions and locations.

• CltFlyboy likes this

#5 clivemilne

clivemilne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Just for the record,

My plan is to make a couple of telescope tubes out of aluminium sheet.

I'll pre-drill the holes with a CNC router or laser cutter and use formed baffles for stiffeners.

Obviously, aircraft rivets would work well and give it a bit of neo-steam punk look.  ;)

• mark77 and CltFlyboy like this

#6 clivemilne

clivemilne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the EAA... much appreciated  :)

• CltFlyboy likes this

#7 clivemilne

clivemilne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 05:53 PM

The EAA suggestion is an excellent one, and if you join you get free Solidworks. As for tools, also look at https://www.aircraft-tool.com/ .

My advice is not to skimp if you're going to be doing a lot of rivets, get a good quality adjustable gun. 

Solidworks?    awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was planning on investing in a professional level tool kit..  

I guess my question could have been worded...   What brands fit that catagory?

I figured Ingersol Rand would be a no-brainer, but it isn't the only game in town.

It's difficult to make that call when you are starting from zero.

Also, assuming I would be using 1/16 to 3/32 sheet metal, would I be better off with a 2x or 3x gun?

cheers,

~c

#8 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 17 April 2021 - 08:35 PM

EAA run construction technique courses which are very valuable. I'm building a composite airframe at the moment, but at the classes I attenended they were doing sheet metal techniques too (and electrical systems, cloth covering and engines ! )

• clivemilne and CltFlyboy like this

#9 clivemilne

clivemilne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:29 PM

EAA run construction technique courses which are very valuable. I'm building a composite airframe at the moment, but at the classes I attenended they were doing sheet metal techniques too (and electrical systems, cloth covering and engines ! )

I guess my issue is that I live in one of the most remote towns in the developed world...  nearest small city is 500 miles away and all that exists between here and there are a couple of gas stations.

#10 PrestonE

PrestonE

Vanguard

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:07 AM

I have been doing Solid Riveting for sometime in making a stylized replica of a 1923 Bugatti type 32 race car.

You will need, clicos to hold all the pieces together before riveting...and take them out as you 

do each rivet...

I am using a range from 1/16 to 3/16 inch shank diameter...you need the tooling in the gun to fit

the rivet head...and there are dozens of differing radius...make sure you get the one or modify

it to fit the rivets that you use...or you will mark up the head of the rivet!!!

Bucking tooling can be purchased or made from mild steel to fit the spaces you need to get into

easily.

You will want to make or buy a Rivet Cutter...as it is better to buy them long and cut them to the length needed,

rather than having to stock many differing lengths.

Oh, and a Rivet Spacer is Very handy...https://www.facebook...479513869412320

Depending on the depth needed to reach, you can get Rivet Squeezers that can reach up to 4 to 5 inches

in from the edge...the really are nice.   Again, you will need a set of dies for the radius of the Rivet head

that you will squeeze...

And then you need the Rivets...

Oh, Do not forget a Double side Hole deburring tool...You will quickly tire of having to deburr each side of

the sheets and hundreds of holes very quickly...

I figure that when finished in about a year I will have placed over 3000 rivets...

Best Regards,

Preston

Edited by PrestonE, 18 April 2021 - 01:33 PM.

• SteveV, R Botero, Oregon-raybender and 2 others like this

#11 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:26 PM

I have never used solid rivets, but I have popped a few thousand pop rivets in a partially completed Chris Tena Mini Coupe. I started this project in 1976 and I hope to finish it after I retire. :)

I used the same technique to make aluminum dew shields; two rows, staggered rivets, 1.5” on-center. I still have a few buckets of clicos and a pair of clico pliers. Very handy. :)

• PrestonE and clivemilne like this

#12 BGRE

BGRE

Gemini

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:39 PM

Tungsten alloy makes better bucking tools as its high density allows a larger mass for a given size.
However tungsten alloy is more expensive than steel.
  • clivemilne likes this

#13 555aaa

555aaa

Vendor (Xerxes Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:19 PM

FAA Advisory Circular AC 43.13-1B is the handbook for acceptable repair methods for aircraft and has a detailed section on how to do riveting and select rivets.
  • clivemilne and CltFlyboy like this

#14 clivemilne

clivemilne

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the advice guys.... that is all very helpful.   :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics