•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ekos Max HA - Meridian Flip Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sigo24

sigo24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

I can share photos, but I can't properly plan a meridian flip in my Astroberry Ekos for my EQ6-R pro with an 8" pier without my camera hitting the mount leg. I put a cardboard box instead of my telescope in order to not damage my equipment.

It's almost like I need to somehow set negative values, but that doesn't seem to be a feature under meridian flip.

For example, with 30 minutes to go until the flip, the cardboard box is already touching the leg. Again, this is with an 8" pier installed!

Edited by sigo24, 17 April 2021 - 10:45 AM.

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:42 AM

Moving from EAA to Astronomy Software & Computers for a better fit.

#3 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fuquay Varina, NC

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:15 PM

If your camera is hitting before meridian, then it will also hit when you perform the flip.  You have a "dead zone" that you can't reach... which I've never experienced.  I can go well pass meridian before needing to perform a flip.

One possible solution is to stop capturing before it hits, then wait 30 minutes or so, then goto the target again, then restart capturing.

Ron

#4 sigo24

sigo24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 12:49 PM

Hi Ron, I think the problem is how to stop capturing / tracking if the tool itself doesn't have a way. I'm going to go over my setup again. There has to be something wrong.

#5 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fuquay Varina, NC

Posted 17 April 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi Ron, I think the problem is how to stop capturing / tracking if the tool itself doesn't have a way. I'm going to go over my setup again. There has to be something wrong.

Using the EKOS scheduling module could do this.  You can set up two "sessions" and define the parameters for it to stop the first session at the appropriate time, then stop, then restart at the appropriate time.

Just a thought...

Ron

#6 sigo24

sigo24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:37 PM

Update: Now it won't flip at all. My daytime testing would just stop tracking all together when it hit the HA 0 because "Telescope hour angle is more than the maximum hour angle of 0. Aborting motion...". Ya thanks, now do the flip.

I just tried to reset everything and attach my actual camera + ED102 and for M51 my scope is currently pointing at M51 straight up. But the meridian flip time says 2:23:XX. 2 hours? This is 4 inches remaining of room.... Even if you argue this is a DST issue (EDT vs EST), it would still be wrong. I purposely set Max HA as 0.20 and Flip if HA> 0.30 since I read there might be an issue with 0 / 0.

Also, and maybe this is a hint of what's going on and I don't know why this is happening, but the grid in kstars for the meridian itself is not aligned to where 180 is.  

Edited by sigo24, 17 April 2021 - 11:38 PM.

#7 sigo24

sigo24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:09 AM

I’m on to something. Even though I set Kstars time to now when I connected, the LT was an hour and 20 minutes off. After adjusting I did a GOTO for M51 and the scope started to slew the camera full speed into the leg and pier. Luckily I was right there and just killed the power to the mount. Time for bed.

#8 sigo24

sigo24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

Successful meridian flip just now tracking Saturn. I don’t know exactly the fix, but here goes in case anyone else sees the same issue.

I set the location/elevation of my house. I then created a new profile of my hardware only, removing CCD Simulator. I deleted all of my other hardware profiles on the Astroberry and Kstars, which is running on my Mac. I then rebooted my raspberry pi. I set my EQ6-R to the home position, verified the mount head was centered on Polaris so that the legs were equidistant from the center spread and turned on the mount. I closed Kstars, re-opened it, set the time to now and then started my Ekos connection. Used Center & Track, then EQMount GOTO in Kstars.

Whew.

Next daylight test, Jupiter.

Edited by sigo24, 18 April 2021 - 08:39 AM.

#9 sigo24

sigo24

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:50 AM

Jupiter test passed. I guess I’m all set.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics