•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Special Request

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

I would like to see if anyone here has been able to capture M78 using EAA without tracking. I would like to give it a shot but I understand it is a difficult target and right now it's very low in my sky shortly after dark. Let me know and good luck.

Clear skies everyone

#2 GazingOli

GazingOli

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 17 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

I tried, but was not very successful

M78 Olif4.2ASI224_63frames_504s_res.jpg

done with my Olifraktor 80/480 apo reduced to f/4.2 with the ZWO ASI 224 - high gain, 63 frames of 8 sec each

But Orion time is over now - time to do the great galaxies of Leo and Virgo! Getting back to Orion in October.

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 17 April 2021 - 11:19 AM.

• Older Padawan and dcweaver like this

#3 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:35 PM

I would like to see if anyone here has been able to capture M78 using EAA without tracking. I would like to give it a shot but I understand it is a difficult target and right now it's very low in my sky shortly after dark. Let me know and good luck.

Clear skies everyone

Waste of time sorry to say since most (90 + %) of deep sky objects like M78 require more than a second exposure time, so since the earth is rotating, you will need tracking. Yes some very bright DSO's can maybe barely get by without tracking, but it's highly unlikely. Look we even use Lunar tracking for the moon which is the 2nd brightest object in our skies.

Steve

• GazingOli likes this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:51 PM

I would like to see if anyone here has been able to capture M78 using EAA without tracking.

Is there a reason you don't want to use tracking? Are you using a scope that doesn't have a motor drive?

#5 Broglock

Broglock

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:57 AM

Do you mean guiding?confused1.gif

• GazingOli and Older Padawan like this

#6 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:53 AM

Do you mean guiding?confused1.gif

Yes sorry about that I did mean guiding.

Is there a reason you don't want to use tracking? Are you using a scope that doesn't have a motor drive?

I am using Alt/Az mount and it does pretty well up to about 20seconds which for EAA is ok

#7 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

I tried, but was not very successful

attachicon.gifM78 Olif4.2ASI224_63frames_504s_res.jpg

done with my Olifraktor 80/480 apo reduced to f/4.2 with the ZWO ASI 224 - high gain, 63 frames of 8 sec each

But Orion time is over now - time to do the great galaxies of Leo and Virgo! Getting back to Orion in October.

CS.Oli

Thanks Oli. I appreciate your response. Now as you said on to Leo and Virgo

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

Yes sorry about that I did mean guiding.

I am using Alt/Az mount and it does pretty well up to about 20seconds which for EAA is ok

Okay, now that I understand you meant "guiding" not "tracking",  your comments make sense. As you can't guide an Alt-Az mount without getting field rotation during the subs, you would want an equatorial mount to do guiding. Most EAAers don't bother guiding their equatorial mounts for short subs, but some do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics