•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sellers Market Finally a Success

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:32 AM

Wow!!!! It's a seller's market for used telescopes and eyepieces. Most refractors are selling in just a few hours. Hint to sellers: if you have not sold your scope in less than 48 hours, then it's priced too high.

Most demand and quickest sales are APO refractors that are most capable of imaging. 

I've wanted a good used refractor for visual-only with APO performance on planets and bright objects: no false color. That means something 90mm or larger to do any decent visual resolution of brighter/bigger DSO's. I like globulars and resolution of globulars is all about size of your instrument. Pun very much intended lol.

I've missed on every refractor on CN and AM for the last 6 weeks that fit my criteria.

I finally scored one last night and at what I consider a very good price: WO FLT 98. Aluminum tube. Reviews on this triplet are generally outstanding. Enough aperture to keep me happy this summer when a bunch of globs are visible, and triplet + fluorite objective so planets should be fantastic.

Just posting this to solicit other experiences from you folks in trying to buy used gear in this seller's market.

• whosthebadman and teashea like this

#2 Cometeer

Cometeer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:42 AM

Just an fyi, the FLT-98 is not true flourite, like what is used in Taks. It’s fpl-53 (synthetic flourite). Usually scopes that have real “flourite” are advertised as such, while synthetic flourite is advertised as ED glass. Either way, should be an excellent scope. 

Edited by Cometeer, 18 April 2021 - 11:43 AM.

• David I and teashea like this

#3 erin

erin

Apollo

• Loc: MA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

Congrats on your perseverance to snap one up! I 

#4 PNW

PNW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

I ran into the same thing with eyepieces. After a few weeks, I scored. Used to be there were discounts in the used market. With all the retailers posting, out of stock...Backordered, I ended up paying close to retail.

#5 payner

payner

Vanguard

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:17 PM

Enjoy your new refractor. The difference between your FPL-53 lens and CaF2 lens will come down to mating glass selected and importantly optical figure.

Randy

#6 awong101

awong101

Viking 1

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:44 PM

By seller's market, do you also mean the shameless price gouging that's taking place? Just right now, there are 2-3 cameras available listed at basically retail prices without the actual benefits of buying from an authorized dealer (receipt, returns, warranty, general support, etc.)

#7 Reid W

Reid W

Apollo

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:28 PM

What should the discount be?

• whosthebadman likes this

#8 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:46 PM

Seller's market meaning getting asking price for used equipment, and selling very quickly. Like any decent used refractor priced correctly and suitable for AP sells in just an hour or two. Before COVID it could be several days or more. I think it's that way now because COVID dried up supplies of new equipment, so it's all in used gear now. 

I would not buy a gray market camera at full retail. I don't think you have to. I just bought an outstanding Pentax DSLR from a certified dealer. Seems lots of camera stock inventory available. I have not seen same retail stock issues with cameras as telescopes. Could be because retailers carry larger inventories of cameras it's a larger market and not as specialized a market as telescopes. 

By seller's market, do you also mean the shameless price gouging that's taking place? Just right now, there are 2-3 cameras available listed at basically retail prices without the actual benefits of buying from an authorized dealer (receipt, returns, warranty, general support, etc.)

Edited by anarrowfellow, 18 April 2021 - 03:47 PM.

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:47 PM

I've missed on every refractor on CN and AM for the last 6 weeks that fit my criteria.

I finally scored one last night and at what I consider a very good price

Congratulations on finally getting a great scope.

#10 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:13 PM

It's an APO. Triplet with FPL-53 glass. 'nuff said. 

Just an fyi, the FLT-98 is not true flourite, like what is used in Taks. It’s fpl-53 (synthetic flourite). Usually scopes that have real “flourite” are advertised as such, while synthetic flourite is advertised as ED glass. Either way, should be an excellent scope. 

#11 whosthebadman

whosthebadman

Mariner 2

• Loc: upper midwest? upper midbest.

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

Wow!!!! It's a seller's market for used telescopes and eyepieces. Most refractors are selling in just a few hours. Hint to sellers: if you have not sold your scope in less than 48 hours, then it's priced too high.

Just posting this to solicit other experiences from you folks in trying to buy used gear in this seller's market.

Similar to you, I've been trying to find a visual-only refractor, light weight, so... a nice doublet.  Competition is strong, resulting in prices rising to (and beyond) the point where only 1-2 buyers will buy.

Increase in demand (Covid casuals, amateur AP being v.trendy), + Decrease in supply (supply chain issues preventing retailer restock) = prices that do not need sales and discounts.  Sometimes this is seen as "gouging" by some who think they can negotiate with market forces.

It also results in some demand for New goods spilling over to be satisfied instead in the Used market. 

If you have some old EPs, binoculars, filters, ... anything astro, NOW IS THE TIME TO SELL, if you want to make money on it.

#12 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:56 PM

It's an APO. Triplet with FPL-53 glass. 'nuff said. 

well WO also 'nuff known giving conflicting report on their glass, so...

#13 anarrowfellow

anarrowfellow

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:04 PM

I'm a very picky buyer. I do a lotta due diligence. The FLT98 was virtually a no-brainer sorta purchase :)

well WO also 'nuff known giving conflicting report on their glass, so...

#14 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:10 PM

I remember the Flt 98 reviewing very well. Was it a TEC made objective? 

#15 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:10 PM

I don't think so as Yuri has never made anything that small. The FLT-105 was TMB/LZOS optics, same as the TMB 105 F6.2. The WO FLT-110 original was the TEC110 F6.5 astrograph. The FLT-110 2nd Gen was F7 and Chinese optics as was the FLT-132. I owned an FLT-105.

#16 Redhook

Redhook

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2021 - 05:36 PM

I just bought an outstanding Pentax DSLR from a certified dealer. Seems lots of camera stock inventory available. I have not seen same retail stock issues with cameras as telescopes. Could be because retailers carry larger inventories of cameras it's a larger market and not as specialized a market as telescopes.

Look for cooled astrophotography camera's and you'll see a different story.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics