•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telegizmos 360 or Harbor Freight Extreme Duty Tarp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Drew56

Drew56

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hartford, Connecticut

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

I’d like to keep my scope on my patio. I’m thinking of getting the Telegizmos 360 for protection but Harbor Freight now carries a new very heavy duty tarp with two layers- silver and black for significantly less money.
Is the Telegizmos overkill?

#2 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:11 PM

Don't know anything about the HF tarp but I know that HF is famous for low cost/short life/replace often products.  I have 3 TG 365 covers that are now old and have proven reliable and long lived.  IF they ever need replacing I will call TG. 

• havasman likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

A couple of weeks ago I bought my 1st TeleGizmos cover to replace the one that came with my custom premium Dob but did not fit at all. What I got is a custom sized cover fitted to my scope and incorporating some adaptions I would never have thought to suggest. But they knew what would work best and suggested those simple dimensional considerations. The new cover is a jewel and I am a very happy customer. TeleGizmos even credited me for what I paid my scope builder for the useless cover and took it back.

Or I could have picked up a flat tarp when I was at Harbor Freight for some ramps and tools and I would probably have a ~nice tarp that I'd have to spend a lot of effort on every time I used it to make it work if it could actually have been made to work at all.

My experience is that TeleGizmos is one example of actually getting what you pay for.

• Astro-Master likes this

#4 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

As one of our noted members says: "only you know the value of money to you". Same with "overkill".

I mean, you can always cheap out, but that probably shouldn't be the highest priority when it comes to protecting expensive gear.

It's true that I don't know the specifics of that Harbor Freight cover. The TeleGizmo covers, however, are first rate. Mine have held up through scorching sun and blizzards over years of use. Although I don't actually leave mine out 365 days a year. In addition to being made domestically by a small company, Bob Pitney can make them to custom lengths and shapes for any equipment at any latitude. I don't know what equipment you have, but Bob's covers literally protect millions of dollars worth of instruments around the world. All considered, I think his prices are fair.

DSC_4645.JPG

If you buy a 365, you may want to also use an inner plastic liner (like a garbage bag) to help protect the inner metallic layer if you have sharp edges on your gear.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics