•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon Phase/Proximity in DSO Film AP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ???

???

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:19 PM

I'm interested in the implications of the moon's phases and its proximity to objects as they pertain to the long exposures necessary to film astrophotography.

I have been planning my sessions around new moons, but what about narrow crescents or nights when the moon is below the horizon?

I understand there are variables between objects such as magnitude, and variables by equipment, but are there any cardinal rules you follow in a general sense; degrees from the moon, less than a quarter phase etc. as they might pertain to photographing commonly imaged objects such as M42, M101, or M31?

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:38 PM

With new moons I never had any issues by making sure the moon was down for an hour before starting an exposure..

And with old moons that it would not be up for at least an hour before my exposure ended.

Edited by TxStars, 18 April 2021 - 09:38 PM.

#3 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 April 2021 - 10:53 PM

Would this not be the same as digital?

Basically you want zero moon...

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:46 PM

Not the same..with digital your exposures are much shorter and the data is stacked with many other exposures and then processed  .

With film what you get is what you get, Tho you could also scan and stack film images of different exposure lengths to get an image in HRD..

Edited by TxStars, 19 April 2021 - 10:50 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics