•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M13, the Hercules Cluster

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jose_Salcedo

Jose_Salcedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Porto, Portugal

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:49 PM

M13, Hercules Cluster. Total exposure 2.2hrs in frames of 30s, 60s and 300s. In the image, two galaxies are visible: NGC 6207, down to the left of the cluster, and the faint IC 4617 about half way in between them.

M13_183MM_1210321_JA&FSalcedo-v2.jpg

• paul hart, mtc, nofxrx and 19 others like this

#2 ntph

ntph

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, ON

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

Very nice, Jose. You've really got the bug, and I don't mean Covid!

Not sure if this is a monochrome image. If not, you might want to look at some other images of M13 in particular and globulars in general--they have a surprising amount of colorful stars. M13 has lots of blue and yellow.  I found it quite surprising, since visually I certainly don't appreciate the colours. From this jpg image, to my eye and taste it seems like the background is pretty dark. How does it look with a bit lighter background? I suspect you will see more of the globular's fainter stars/glow if it is backed off a bit. I find globular clusters quite challenging to capture and process; focus is critical and processing challenging to get the best  resolution, colour and overall aesthetic. 

• Jose_Salcedo and mrobaer like this

#3 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 19 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

Great image! Is this monochrome?

#4 sbharrat

sbharrat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:35 AM

I remember the OP's stunning "1st pic" Horsehead. That was mono so presume he just has a mono setup. 

• Jose_Salcedo likes this

#5 Jose_Salcedo

Jose_Salcedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:17 PM

Very nice, Jose. You've really got the bug, and I don't mean Covid!

Not sure if this is a monochrome image. If not, you might want to look at some other images of M13 in particular and globulars in general--they have a surprising amount of colorful stars. M13 has lots of blue and yellow.  I found it quite surprising, since visually I certainly don't appreciate the colours. From this jpg image, to my eye and taste it seems like the background is pretty dark. How does it look with a bit lighter background? I suspect you will see more of the globular's fainter stars/glow if it is backed off a bit. I find globular clusters quite challenging to capture and process; focus is critical and processing challenging to get the best  resolution, colour and overall aesthetic. 

Thank you for your comment, Norm. Yes, I only have a monochrome setup for now and the image is monochrome. I only started taking images in early March so this has been a fast paced learning adventure for me. I will follow your suggestions to see if I can improve on this image.

• limeyx likes this

#6 Jose_Salcedo

Jose_Salcedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

I remember the OP's stunning "1st pic" Horsehead. That was mono so presume he just has a mono setup. 

Thank you, Shaun, yes I can only take monochrome images to date although I just got a 2" filter wheel. I am learning fast and hopefully will be able to compose color images from my main B&W camera and narrowband filters soon. As I did B&W photography for many years as a dedicated amateur, I am always in love with this type of rendering, although a globular cluster is limited from that point of view. My previous images, the Horsehead Nebula in particular, presented a better opportunity to do justice to the scene.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics