•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Used AVX SC800 fastar -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Franchisse

Franchisse

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:08 PM

Hello!

I'm getting rid of my Nexstar 6" SLT. Not suited for my goals. I've been eyeing used OTA's + mount and found a SC800 fastar on an AVX. Fastar gives me the possibility to go from F/10 to F/2 provided I spend another 1000€ (LOL, I just found out how costly these hyperstar lenses are) so probably not in the near future.

After reading many posts here, I took a look at the EQ-6 PRO. It's 1500€ alone and would have to wait untill august. And get a new 8"XLT SCT, for which I'd have to add 1240€ for a brand new one, totaling 2750€, which I don't have nor plan to spend for this hobby anytime soon, considering I already spent a lot the past year. While for 1400€ I got a used once AVX + SC800 fastar.

I see fabulous images on astrobin with advanced VX + C8. Anyone has a base to compare, same OTA with different mounts?

The seller is a 74yo amateur that just doesn't want to carry his mount (he legit told me he's too old for this ****) and rather just use the ones the local astro association is using. Still, he's asking 1500€ for it (all factory + a power bank which I don't need). Isn't it a bit too much? I think a fair price would be around 1400€ without the power bank. What's your thought on this price? (new it' costs about 2000 to 2300€, and all resellers here are out of stock for the next few monthes, or worse...). If I get it to ~1400€, I can make my budget get me a nice ASI mini for autoguiding, which I think I need, right?

What are the things to make sure to check when buying an AVX? Because I bet the dude won't let me try it at night and wait for me to look into the eyepiece to close the deal.

Any advice on buying a used telescope is most welcome.

Clear skies to all.

#2 Franchisse

Franchisse

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:58 AM

Little update.

Outside of looking through an eyepiece, even during daylight and turn sideways the focus knob, the things, I think, should be checked are the ability for the mount to be balanced. The way it wiggles should give nice info about the state of the mount. If it need maintainance/adjustments.

I doubt the seller would let anyone unscrew a few parts to take a look at the worm gears and how greased it is.

Bring a laptop and a cable, perhaps, your starsense HC if you have one and connect with CPWI. check that the HC connection works. As well as with the ASCOM platform.

Slew in every directions and listen for some motor pain noises.

What is your RMS in RA/DEC on your AVX?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics