•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PRIMARY MIRROR INSPECTION, BEFORE 1ST LIGHT

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:38 PM

Many of you know this already but some may not. I recently got my brand new 12.5" f4.7 Zambuto Optics primary and about the very first thing I did after (while wearing a brand new pair of clean room gloves) installing it along with the Aurora Precision mirror cell into the mirror box with the mirror cover in place and setting them carefully into the scope base was to get out my very bright LED flashlight and give it a good inspection.  grin.gif 

Well that mirror looked TERRIBLE, completely covered in dust. Oh, no!

So I laughed and took it out for a session at the dark site. Before the session I gave it a few puffs from the rocket blower just for sport but I didn't bother to train any lights on it again. Boy, that's some fine mirror. My first quartz primary too.

For those who may not yet know, the jokes on me but that's intentional. Nobody should ever inspect a primary with a light. Even a brand spanking new premium mirror will not pass that test.

Edited by havasman, 19 April 2021 - 12:33 AM.

• Bill Jensen, cuzimthedad, dragonstar4565 and 6 others like this

#2 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:50 PM

12.5 inch quartz ZOC. Very sweet! Hope we can hear more of your observations with that pretty special mirror

• havasman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics