•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSLR imaging accessories

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

Hey! I think I kinda went the other way around unlike many others, I've been imaging for a pretty long time now with a cooled ZWO camera and few different telescopes.

But I also wanted to do milky way/wide DSO imaging, which is why I bought a Canon 6D astro modified and AZ-GTi mount + wedge to use it in EQ mode as a portable/secondary rig.

For the time being I only have an extremely low quality lenses, 15-55mm lens, and a 70-300mm lens, both of them are pretty bad for astrophotography, but I guess that's what I can do for the time being, I also own a SharpStar 61 EDPH II which is 275mm with a reducer, I think that's close to the AZ-GTi's limit, but maybe still usable.

I think I plan on using a raspberry pi along with astroberry or just an ASIAIR along with it, not really sure yet, I'm wondering what other accessories would I need or would be a good purchase in terms of battery life(multiple batteries? Powered battery?), convenience(shutter release? Even though I shouldn't need that with ASIAIR/astroberry, but for milky way imaging possibly?), basically, just whatever comes to your mind that an average user might need.

Thanks for the help :)

#2 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:01 AM

That should make for a nice set-up, although I'm sure you'll want to pick up a better lens or two eventually. 

I think a ghost battery is essential... so much easier than remembering to change batteries. Since you'll be using astroberry, no real need for an intervalometer. But try to look for a decent 12V hub with a charging port - that will be plenty to power the pi. Then a USB dew heater for the lens, also powered off the hub. If you look closely, you can even find 12V-8V power adapters to power your camera. This works really well, as you can get an AC adapter to 12Vdc to power the camera, hub, pi, and dew heater. And if you're away from wall power, you can use a 12V battery setup instead.

• Kevin_A likes this

#3 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:16 AM

That should make for a nice set-up, although I'm sure you'll want to pick up a better lens or two eventually. 

I think a ghost battery is essential... so much easier than remembering to change batteries. Since you'll be using astroberry, no real need for an intervalometer. But try to look for a decent 12V hub with a charging port - that will be plenty to power the pi. Then a USB dew heater for the lens, also powered off the hub. If you look closely, you can even find 12V-8V power adapters to power your camera. This works really well, as you can get an AC adapter to 12Vdc to power the camera, hub, pi, and dew heater. And if you're away from wall power, you can use a 12V battery setup instead.

Oh yeah, maybe I didn't actually mention that, but yes! Of course I'm aiming for better lenses in the future, the current lenses except for the SharpStar are pure s**t, but I need to take a step back from spending money for a while as I kinda got carried away lately(you know the hobby, it's tough, don't blame me happy.png ).

I have no idea what's a ghost battery, but google is my friend. I think I'll be using astroberry for DSO imaging where I need GOTO functions etc, but when shooting wide field milky way imaging, I'm not really sure. While I don't think it should matter, I might manually move the mount to make framing easier, astroberry can obviously just shoot, it's not like I have to use plate solve or anything, I need to think a bit whether I actually have a use for a an intervalometer or not, maybe I'll start out with astroberry and see if I feel any need for it.

I live in bortle 6 skies, but I think I'll mostly image remotely driving to bortle 3, that means a portable 12V battery. I already have a big battery for my other rig, but if I want to travel with this rig, I might need to think as well about a portable 12V battery, it probably doesn't need to be any big luckily, maybe a small 10-30AH would do, I also think of building a 12V battery counterweight, but that's for another time ^^

Good idea on the dew heaters, I'll surely buy a USB heater. Can you elaborate on the "12V-8V power adapters to power your camera"? What exactly should I search for to find it?

Thanks!

#4 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, I know how that goes. I do my best to practice budget AP...

I went for a Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, and use it almost exclusively. Not the cheapest, but not terribly expensive. I also shoot in B-3, and can't imagine running out of targets with IFN and dark nebulae. The 50mm f/1.8 is also a decent lens and won't break the bank.

I have two of these power adapters, one for a 600D and one for a 60D:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The nice thing is that it uses the 5.5x2.1mm connectors found on many of the 12Vdc power supplies, so with splitters you can really make for a nice clean power distribution. Just be careful - it looks like the one for the 6D has the same connector on the output. Don't plug your camera directly into 12Vdc!

Even with widefield, astroberry is great for polar aligning, guiding, and dithering. If you get into mosaics, the "load and slew" function is indispensable. It makes it so easy to land right on a previous panel, and then goto the next.

#5 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, I know how that goes. I do my best to practice budget AP...

I went for a Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, and use it almost exclusively. Not the cheapest, but not terribly expensive. I also shoot in B-3, and can't imagine running out of targets with IFN and dark nebulae. The 50mm f/1.8 is also a decent lens and won't break the bank.

I have two of these power adapters, one for a 600D and one for a 60D:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The nice thing is that it uses the 5.5x2.1mm connectors found on many of the 12Vdc power supplies, so with splitters you can really make for a nice clean power distribution. Just be careful - it looks like the one for the 6D has the same connector on the output. Don't plug your camera directly into 12Vdc!

Even with widefield, astroberry is great for polar aligning, guiding, and dithering. If you get into mosaics, the "load and slew" function is indispensable. It makes it so easy to land right on a previous panel, and then goto the next.

Yeah the I've heard a lot about the rokinon, I eventually want a super wide field lenses(around 15mm), then 35-50mm, and hopefully around 85-135mm as well.

I think the 50mm should be the cheapest lens I could get, and I think there's even f/1.4 version of it, don't know if it's actually better than the f/1.8.

Amazon is a bit expensive as it charger high shipping fees, I looked on aliexpress and found many results, this is one of them:

https://www.aliexpre...3033939316.html

Do you think this one would be good as well? It seems to take in USB instead of the common 2.1x5.5 DC plug, not sure if it's an advantage or not.....

And as for astroberry, tbh...I kinda HAVE to use it for polar align, as there is no polar scope for the AZ-GTi, so I guess I'll just use it regardless no matter what I image with it.

Not familiar enough with astroberry yet, but it sounds really great..I might need to get another raspberry pi as my current one is occupied as a NAS ^^

Thanks!

#6 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

Check this one out instead... I think it's the same one I had. Regardless, I verified the voltage output of the one I bought versus a more common battery adapter and found it within spec. Best to do the same with whichever one you get:

https://www.aliexpre...earchweb201603_

I do have one powered by USB, and it is not reliable. I think it cannot provide the current needed during a long exposure because the camera shuts down after a few seconds.

I don't have a polar scope with my iExos-100 mount, but it's very straightforward in Ekos. I'll probably purchase a stellarmate OS license in the next few weeks to support the project. Astroberry/Stellarmate with Kstars/Ekos really is an excellent piece of software.

#7 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

Check this one out instead... I think it's the same one I had. Regardless, I verified the voltage output of the one I bought versus a more common battery adapter and found it within spec. Best to do the same with whichever one you get:

https://www.aliexpre...earchweb201603_

I do have one powered by USB, and it is not reliable. I think it cannot provide the current needed during a long exposure because the camera shuts down after a few seconds.

I don't have a polar scope with my iExos-100 mount, but it's very straightforward in Ekos. I'll probably purchase a stellarmate OS license in the next few weeks to support the project. Astroberry/Stellarmate with Kstars/Ekos really is an excellent piece of software.

Hmm there are only 2 reviews here but one of them shows that it outputs 8V instead of 8.4V which leads to the camera shutting down and instability, but then again, it could also be a user error, bad 12v power supply, or something else, usually these units could be manually adjusted either. Still, I think I'll look for something with more reviews, or in the worst case just pay a bit more for the amazon one.

I wonder though, your powered USB one, do you supply it with enough USB current? I have a power bank that could supply 65W for example, so even with 5V, I guess it could be enough current, but I don't know really, will need to further research about that.

#8 Andynator

Andynator

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:26 PM

A lens focusing lever is really handy. And there's a fellow in the classifieds that sells 3D- printed Bahtinov masks.

#9 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

A lens focusing lever is really handy. And there's a fellow in the classifieds that sells 3D- printed Bahtinov masks.

Thanks! I'll see about a focusing lever. I already own a 3D printer so that's not an issue :)

#10 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:21 PM

Hmm there are only 2 reviews here but one of them shows that it outputs 8V instead of 8.4V which leads to the camera shutting down and instability, but then again, it could also be a user error, bad 12v power supply, or something else, usually these units could be manually adjusted either. Still, I think I'll look for something with more reviews, or in the worst case just pay a bit more for the amazon one.

I wonder though, your powered USB one, do you supply it with enough USB current? I have a power bank that could supply 65W for example, so even with 5V, I guess it could be enough current, but I don't know really, will need to further research about that.

Well the one I have has a double usb connector so you can plug it into two ports if you don’t get enough current through one. It wouldn’t work through a single charging port and a standard USB, but I only had the one charging port. It might work with two charging ports.

The batteries for my 60D are listed at 7.2v, which is probably the minimum voltage at which it will operate. I have battery adapters that supply 7.4v, 8v (same as you listed), and 8.4v. They all work fine plugged into wall power. The 12v - 8v one is supplied by a 6A supply, and it works fine with my setup. I would guess if they’re shutting down at 8v, there isn’t enough current capacity for their supply.

#11 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:41 PM

Lenses are good. 
Astroberry?  Capable sure.

You want to shoot, not mess around with compiling, or driver problems, or 100's of other issues with using a Pi, you may want to consider getting a 100.00 windows 10, minipc, load up PHD2, APT, and run it all with a battery pack at 5V.
With help future proof your setup a little bit without nickle and diming you to death.

Nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars on cases, power supplies, and other add ons just to make a functional system.

This is what I started with when I figured out that Pi just didn't have enough resources to grow.
It is what it is..

Check this out.
Runs on 5v ;) 

https://www.amazon.c...18958351&sr=8-4

Kudos !!

Clear Skies !!

#12 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:08 PM

Well the one I have has a double usb connector so you can plug it into two ports if you don’t get enough current through one. It wouldn’t work through a single charging port and a standard USB, but I only had the one charging port. It might work with two charging ports.

The batteries for my 60D are listed at 7.2v, which is probably the minimum voltage at which it will operate. I have battery adapters that supply 7.4v, 8v (same as you listed), and 8.4v. They all work fine plugged into wall power. The 12v - 8v one is supplied by a 6A supply, and it works fine with my setup. I would guess if they’re shutting down at 8v, there isn’t enough current capacity for their supply.

I see, I think I'll just order what you've sent, I guess in the worst case I can just figure out a solution to make the required voltage or modify the current converter that comes with it.

Thanks! :)

Lenses are good. 
Astroberry?  Capable sure.

You want to shoot, not mess around with compiling, or driver problems, or 100's of other issues with using a Pi, you may want to consider getting a 100.00 windows 10, minipc, load up PHD2, APT, and run it all with a battery pack at 5V.
With help future proof your setup a little bit without nickle and diming you to death.

Nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars on cases, power supplies, and other add ons just to make a functional system.

This is what I started with when I figured out that Pi just didn't have enough resources to grow.
It is what it is..

Check this out.
Runs on 5v wink.gif 

https://www.amazon.c...18958351&sr=8-4

Kudos !!

Clear Skies !!

I strongly disagree tbh, and I'm saying it as someone who tried that in the past and decided to go with a mini PC which I currently use and it's awesome, BUT, the pi is really great..I don't know which pi you tried, but I tried the pi with 4GB RAM and it worked flawlessly with no issues at all, and that was with all the gear I have, for this secondary rig I might just need a mount connection and DSLR connection, possibly a guide camera but that's really all there is to it.

And considering the fact that there is now a pi with 8GB of RAM? I really don't see any reason for it to not work properly, even if I'm going to plate solve etc, etc. It might not be the fastest thing in the world, there's no doubt about it, but I don't think it would have much issues.

Besides, I already own it, there's no reason in the world to spend another $150 before even trying it with this setup, if that really wouldn't work, then yeah, maybe.

Thanks!

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#13 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Viking 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:53 PM

I see, I think I'll just order what you've sent, I guess in the worst case I can just figure out a solution to make the required voltage or modify the current converter that comes with it.

Thanks! smile.gif

I strongly disagree tbh, and I'm saying it as someone who tried that in the past and decided to go with a mini PC which I currently use and it's awesome, BUT, the pi is really great..I don't know which pi you tried, but I tried the pi with 4GB RAM and it worked flawlessly with no issues at all, and that was with all the gear I have, for this secondary rig I might just need a mount connection and DSLR connection, possibly a guide camera but that's really all there is to it.

And considering the fact that there is now a pi with 8GB of RAM? I really don't see any reason for it to not work properly, even if I'm going to plate solve etc, etc. It might not be the fastest thing in the world, there's no doubt about it, but I don't think it would have much issues.

Besides, I already own it, there's no reason in the world to spend another $150 before even trying it with this setup, if that really wouldn't work, then yeah, maybe.

Thanks!

You have to do what is best for you, and what works for you, and can appreciate where you are coming from.  :)

I do think it really depends what you want to do with it and how many different systems you really want to be working with.
I got tired of the drop outs, software incompatibility, driver issues, updates that didn't work, etc etc.

Can Pi Guide?  Yep.  Can Pi Platesolve? Yep.  Can Pi Run Stellarium or other interactive observatory software?  Not too well.
Can Pi Capture, Guide, Platesolve, Run planetarium sofware, and have connectivity with touch screen, keyboad and mouse while doing the tasks necessary?  Nope.  Not even the 8gig Pi 4 in my experience.
Are the ports hot swappable?  Can you plug in another USB Device while the system is running ?  Not reliably.
Can you transfer your image files etc via any device connected while the system is running ? Not reliably.

Quickly you find how limited Pi is when you start using in the real world experiences.
Not that they do not have a place, I believe they do, and they can do tasks well, just not too many of them at a time.
For setting up a quick grab and go, wouldn't you want it to function the same as you would near home?
I have dementia, so I have to keep things simple, repeatable, and if need by, cloneable.

MiniPC's do that for me :)  Your needs are obviously different, not better, not worse, just different :)

I'm on my second MiniPC because I wanted to stop using the USB to RS232 to control my mount.
I just got a beefier, upgradable system that uses high speed components.

All of this done on my phone, on my tablet, on a pc or laptop.

Anyways I digress, I just get a bit excited talking about tech and sharing my experiences as a beginner.

Clear Skies !!

#14 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Viking 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:07 PM

Thanks! smile.gif

Thanks!

I forgot to ask, what Problem or Issue is Pi solving for you, that MiniPC cannot do ?

Clear Skies !!

#15 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

You have to do what is best for you, and what works for you, and can appreciate where you are coming from. :)

I do think it really depends what you want to do with it and how many different systems you really want to be working with.
I got tired of the drop outs, software incompatibility, driver issues, updates that didn't work, etc etc.

Can Pi Guide? Yep. Can Pi Platesolve? Yep. Can Pi Run Stellarium or other interactive observatory software? Not too well.
Can Pi Capture, Guide, Platesolve, Run planetarium sofware, and have connectivity with touch screen, keyboad and mouse while doing the tasks necessary? Nope. Not even the 8gig Pi 4 in my experience.
Are the ports hot swappable? Can you plug in another USB Device while the system is running ? Not reliably.
Can you transfer your image files etc via any device connected while the system is running ? Not reliably.

Quickly you find how limited Pi is when you start using in the real world experiences.
Not that they do not have a place, I believe they do, and they can do tasks well, just not too many of them at a time.
For setting up a quick grab and go, wouldn't you want it to function the same as you would near home?
I have dementia, so I have to keep things simple, repeatable, and if need by, cloneable.

MiniPC's do that for me :) Your needs are obviously different, not better, not worse, just different :)

I'm on my second MiniPC because I wanted to stop using the USB to RS232 to control my mount.

Anyways I digress, I just get a bit excited talking about tech and sharing my experiences as a beginner.

Clear Skies !!

I would say that most of us that use stelllarmate or astroberry do not have that experience. Then again, we aren’t trying to install stellarium or other pieces of software that may be beyond the capabilities of the system. I’ve been using astroberry for awhile now, and have never had to recompile, install a driver, or do anything beyond the occasional manual update. If you need to go beyond what is available within Kstars and Ekos, then it’s probably not the solution for you. I’ve yet to find anything that I need to do that can’t be handled in this environment as far as AP goes, though. And my little 2gb pi can platesolve within a second as long as I give it a reasonable starting point for the solver.

But I’m glad that you have a system that works for you. My only point is that your experience is probably different than most other users. And I’ve never had an automatic Windows update crash a piece of software in the field...

CS!

#16 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:11 PM

You have to do what is best for you, and what works for you, and can appreciate where you are coming from.  smile.gif

Can Pi Guide?  Yep.  Can Pi Platesolve? Yep.  Can Pi Run Stellarium or other interactive observatory software?  Not too well.
Can Pi Capture, Guide, Platesolve, Run planetarium sofware, and have connectivity with touch screen, keyboad and mouse while doing the tasks necessary?  Nope.  Not even the 8gig Pi 4 in my experience.
Are the ports hot swappable?  Can you plug in another USB Device while the system is running ?  Not reliably.

MiniPC's do that for me smile.gif  Your needs are obviously different, not better, not worse, just different smile.gif

Clear Skies !!

Tech is awesome, there's no doubt about that, I haven't tried that enough I believe, I had a few session with it and it worked with no issues tbh, but maybe with a few more sessions I would've end up with a similar conclusion as you.

I did not use the planetarium software much, but I did not experience the same issues you described, I had no issues controlling the system while guiding, taking images, etc, etc.

I also had no issues with swapping USB cables etc.

Besides that, I think it's pretty easy transferring files from the pi to any other machine via wifi(using dedicated 5V router, so network speeds are really good), and I think that the AZ-GTi works with wifi as well, so maybe I won't even need a cable there.

I forgot to ask, what Problem or Issue is Pi solving for you, that MiniPC cannot do ?

Clear Skies !!

It's not that the pi gives me anything a mini PC can't, probably the opposite, the pi is more limited in general, but since I already own a pi, I don't see a reason not to try it first before I spend another $150 on a PC that I might not even need.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#17 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:22 AM

Tech is awesome, there's no doubt about that, I haven't tried that enough I believe, I had a few session with it and it worked with no issues tbh, but maybe with a few more sessions I would've end up with a similar conclusion as you.

I did not use the planetarium software much, but I did not experience the same issues you described, I had no issues controlling the system while guiding, taking images, etc, etc.

I also had no issues with swapping USB cables etc.

Besides that, I think it's pretty easy transferring files from the pi to any other machine via wifi(using dedicated 5V router, so network speeds are really good), and I think that the AZ-GTi works with wifi as well, so maybe I won't even need a cable there.

It's not that the pi gives me anything a mini PC can't, probably the opposite, the pi is more limited in general, but since I already own a pi, I don't see a reason not to try it first before I spend another $150 on a PC that I might not even need.

Sorry, deaf eyes for me.. Didn't realize you already had the Pi.  If you can get a pi to run without expense, that is what I would also do :)

Most things I try to accomplish is about doing with what I have or something that can be aquired easily, inexpensively and used freely.

Kudos and hope you get your rig rockin !!
Can't wait to see the setup and the pics

Clear Skies !!

#18 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:59 AM

Sorry, deaf eyes for me.. Didn't realize you already had the Pi.  If you can get a pi to run without expense, that is what I would also do smile.gif

Most things I try to accomplish is about doing with what I have or something that can be aquired easily, inexpensively and used freely.

Kudos and hope you get your rig rockin !!
Can't wait to see the setup and the pics

Clear Skies !!

Thanks!!

#19 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:30 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to ask the following questions, but I am not guiding yet and have a DSLR and I'm so, SOOO not tech-savvy.

A laptop's intuitive--load software, use keyboard.  How does one actually interface with a mini-PC or Raspberry Pi?  If it's with a smartphone (mine's 3 years old), any issues if you replace the phone?

I tried a ghost battery with my Nikon D5300, but got a shutter error message every time.  Did I just get a lemon in the ghost battery, or is there potentially an issue with the camera?

Clear Skies,

Phil

#20 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to ask the following questions, but I am not guiding yet and have a DSLR and I'm so, SOOO not tech-savvy.

A laptop's intuitive--load software, use keyboard.  How does one actually interface with a mini-PC or Raspberry Pi?  If it's with a smartphone (mine's 3 years old), any issues if you replace the phone?

I tried a ghost battery with my Nikon D5300, but got a shutter error message every time.  Did I just get a lemon in the ghost battery, or is there potentially an issue with the camera?

Clear Skies,

Phil

Probably a lemon... was it connected to wall power? My USB adapter doesn't work reliably, but the three ones that adapt directly from 120Vac work just fine, no issues with my DSLR.

I interface with the Pi from a laptop. It has its own wifi hotspot, so you connect to the wifi from your laptop and there's a default web address. Type that into a web browser, and you can remote control it through the browser. It just loads the desktop within the browser window and you can use the touchpad and keyboard as if you had a monitor and keyboard plugged in directly. Looks like this through Edge browser on Win10:

Annotation 2021-04-21 110312.jpg

#21 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:32 AM

Probably a lemon... was it connected to wall power? My USB adapter doesn't work reliably, but the three ones that adapt directly from 120Vac work just fine, no issues with my DSLR.

I interface with the Pi from a laptop. It has its own wifi hotspot, so you connect to the wifi from your laptop and there's a default web address. Type that into a web browser, and you can remote control it through the browser. It just loads the desktop within the browser window and you can use the touchpad and keyboard as if you had a monitor and keyboard plugged in directly. Looks like this through Edge browser on Win10:

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2021-04-21 110312.jpg

But will it work with a smartphone?  And what do I do when I replace said smartphone?  A laptop for me is a non-starter. I don't want to deal with one in the field.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#22 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:35 AM

It will, but the screen is tiny and it'll be tough to control. It's just a terminal, so changing your phone won't make a difference. A small tablet works, too. Stellarmate has a smartphone app and they're constantly improving its functionality, but you'd have to buy the device or at least buy a license (not that expensive) to be able to use it.

I feel the same way about a laptop in the field. I use it for set-up, but once the session is up and running the laptop goes away and the pi runs the session solo.

#23 msacco

msacco

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

But will it work with a smartphone?  And what do I do when I replace said smartphone?  A laptop for me is a non-starter. I don't want to deal with one in the field.

Clear Skies,

Phil

Your smartphone is not important, it doesn't save any data, it doesn't even matter what device you'll be using, laptop, smartphone, tablet, all you need is to connect to the same wifi and access the web interface.

I do think the ASIAIR might be a slightly better choice for you though, it's a bit dummy proof out of all the options in my opinion(not saying your dumb or anything!).

The price is surely higher though.

Edited by msacco, 21 April 2021 - 10:38 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics