•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Picture published in the BBC May edition of Sky at Night Magazine

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

Hi all,

I had another one of my images published in the BBC Sky at Night Magazine May Edition. This is my Hamburger image on page 81- a bigger version is here in case you missed it- remember you saw it here first on CN https://www.astrobin.../full/5i0jch/B/

Enjoy! and stay safe.

• Stelios, Scott Mitchell, CCD-Freak and 15 others like this

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:05 AM

Congratulations! Excellent!

• pyrasanth likes this

#3 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:05 PM

Very nice well done!

It goes without saying integration time really pays off. I think when your new to imaging your excited and want to image everything all at once and as you get more experience you slow down and spend more time on one image.
  • pyrasanth likes this

#4 Dan_I

Dan_I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:32 PM

congrats for a well-deserved publication !

• pyrasanth likes this

#5 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:33 PM

Great image Mark and well deserved publicación!
  • pyrasanth likes this

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:17 PM

Great image Mark and well deserved publicación!

Thank you- very kind- It's now raining-lol

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:18 PM

congrats for a well-deserved publication !

Thank you- I enjoy the capturing of photons!

#8 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

Very nice well done!

It goes without saying integration time really pays off. I think when your new to imaging your excited and want to image everything all at once and as you get more experience you slow down and spend more time on one image.

I've just spent 60 hours of capture time on NGC3718- or at least that's the total amount of time in the subs I'm processing- I dread to think how many got discarded!

• Tim likes this

#9 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:26 PM

I've just spent 60 hours of capture time on NGC3718- or at least that's the total amount of time in the subs I'm processing- I dread to think how many got discarded!

that's an incredible amount of hours - you must be getting more clear skies then I am.  Will you ever go back and image it again or is that object now crossed of your list ?

#10 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

that's an incredible amount of hours - you must be getting more clear skies then I am.  Will you ever go back and image it again or is that object now crossed of your list ?

We have had nearly a week of clear nights which happily coincided with the new moon- it don't get any better than that. NGC3718 is available nearly all year round at my latitude but best caught in late winter/spring. I am going to carry on imaging this target until I have about 100 hours of L data. It is very faint under my Borter 8/9 skies however I believe it has a lot of secrets still to pull out which can only be achieved by a substantial integration time.

I'm using multiple telescopes to help with this task- The C14 captures high res L & RGB data and the RASA captures the same at a wider image scale but greater etendue. The problems I've worked through have been around registration of different image scales which I found very hit and miss in PI. I'm now using Registar to align all the subs after they have been calibrated and cosmetically corrected using PI. This is a set of software combinations that work well together.

I found PI pretty hopeless to align data at substantially different image scales- that part of the star alignment module could do with a rework as it is not really good for users who have a selection of telescopes and want to combine the data from the mix. Interestingly I don't have any problem registering the same images from telescope or camera- they just don't register when there is a mix and the only thing I can think of is image scale or distortion that is not being handled but that would need clarification and digging into arcane PI settings - which I don't have the time or appetite for.

Edited by pyrasanth, 20 April 2021 - 04:32 PM.

• Tim likes this

#11 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:43 PM

Interesting more advanced techniques. I have 8" rasa and other telescopes have thought about it but haven't learned or tried yet to combine different image scales.  

Would it be best to grab L data with 14" all the detail then get RGB from the Rasa?

Would you have to resize shrink or expand one of the image group to match the other group of images and sizing before star aligning?

• pyrasanth likes this

#12 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

Interesting more advanced techniques. I have 8" rasa and other telescopes have thought about it but haven't learned or tried yet to combine different image scales.  

Would it be best to grab L data with 14" all the detail then get RGB from the Rasa?

Would you have to resize shrink or expand one of the image group to match the other group of images and sizing before star aligning?

I grab the L on the C14 to have the best chance of detail resolution with a few RGB frames thrown in for good measure. I then capture the RGB on the RASA V2 using either the QHY168C OSC or seperate filters. RGB does not carry as much spatial info as the L. The difficulty is that with the different image scales (the RASA RGB data needs to be upscaled) this produces a lot of noisy graininess hence a lot of subs are needed- typically 500+

There are also ,as mentioned earlier,  challenges around image registration distortion between the two optics. I'm testing Registar to see if it can deal with the distortion and the image registration challenges.

With PI I find I need to pretty much match the image scales to get a registration to work- this is very time intensive as I've had to experiment a lot to get it to work and what worked one day can fail on another day which wastes loads of time. I don't have the scale problems with Registar hence I'm exploring what this excellent package can do more closely.

• Tim likes this

#13 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

Congratulations! I’ll watch for it!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics