•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Proof of concept mosaic 19th April - It can be done some day

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Arctic eye

Arctic eye

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:20 AM

19th April I had a good seeing and I managed to pull out a kind of "proof of concept" mosaic. There was a small cloud in the sky and of course it plunged in front of the moon and stayed there for a while, making one part of the material soft. But I proofed myself that I'm on track. Hope you enjoy it. I especially like how the Janssen crater worked out.

So here is a 75% version of the mosaic, it is quite decent to watch: https://astrokuvat.k...75.jpg?img=full

Here is a bit brighter version of the same: https://astrokuvat.k...ht.jpg?img=full

And here is a full 100% version, hopefully you can open it: https://astrokuvat.k...00.jpg?img=full

And a bit brighter version of the 100% mosaic too: https://astrokuvat.k...ht.jpg?img=full

I used ICE to align the panels (except 1 that rejected every time) and then did the adjustments and blending and adding the last panel in photoshop.

• airscottdenning, MisterDan, shortonjr and 3 others like this

#2 MisterDan

MisterDan

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

Astonishing and mesmerizing.

Thank you for sharing your images, Ari.

Cheers and best wishes.

Dan

#3 Sky King

Sky King

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:59 PM

Sweet! Great magnification!  What did you image this with? Thanks for sharing! 

#4 SkyHunter1

SkyHunter1

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island NY

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:41 PM

Wow! Amazing shot, but the detail when you magnify it is incredible...

Great Work!

Regards,

Skyhunter1

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:06 PM

Ari, this is a really spectacular image that one could spend a lot of time inspecting.  Excellent work.  

#6 Arctic eye

Arctic eye

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:52 AM

Thank you all, glad you liked it!

Sweet! Great magnification!  What did you image this with? Thanks for sharing! 

I used SW16” goto dob, powermate 2x + paracorr2, Baader 685nm ir pass and ASI183mm camera.

This was my proof of concept that I can reach same detail level with this wide field imaging train, including coma corrector, that I have been able to reach with my other imaging trains in narrow field detail imaging. In good seeing I can reach this certain level that seems to be my scopes absolut limit. I suspect it is a combination of diffraction limit in infrared and the optical quality of the scope.

• Sky King likes this

#7 John_Moore

John_Moore

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:08 AM

Incredible shot, Ari -- that's the best view of the Ina structure (an IMP Irregular Mare Patch) I've seen for a long time through an earth-based telescope.

John

#8 Arctic eye

Arctic eye

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:40 PM

Thank you, John!

Now, as a bonus before we lay this thread into rest, something from the 2018 that I promise also to try again as an ultimate goal in this "proof of consept" resolution level. Might proof to be impossible though wacko.png

So back at 2018 there was several consequent clear evenings with fairly good seeing and I managed to get a series of moderate level mosaics and built an animation out of them. So maybe some day a series of mosaics from 3 day old to full moon in full quality...

Link to spring 2018 mosaic animation, open and click for full resolution: https://astrokuvat.k...2d.gif?img=full

• Kenny V. and John_Moore like this

#9 Claude Navarro

Claude Navarro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Toulouse (France)

Posted 23 April 2021 - 08:02 AM

Excellent, really ! Could you tell us how many images were necessary for this mosaïc ?

Claude N.

#10 shortonjr

shortonjr

Vostok 1

• Loc: south carolina

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:41 PM

Thank you all, glad you liked it!

I used SW16” goto dob, powermate 2x + paracorr2, Baader 685nm ir pass and ASI183mm camera.

This was my proof of concept that I can reach same detail level with this wide field imaging train, including coma corrector, that I have been able to reach with my other imaging trains in narrow field detail imaging. In good seeing I can reach this certain level that seems to be my scopes absolute limit. I suspect it is a combination of diffraction limit in infrared and the optical quality of the scope.

Thank you for sharing your work! Your pics are astonishing! And to see you used a dob to capture the moon in a mosaic makes me want to do the same. Can you post a pic of your imaging train used in this capture? I can see the other items listed but which coma corrector are you using?  Thanks.

#11 Borodog

Borodog

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 24 April 2021 - 10:42 PM

I think the paracorr is the coma corrector.

#12 shortonjr

shortonjr

Vostok 1

• Loc: south carolina

Posted 25 April 2021 - 12:03 AM

I think the paracorr is the coma corrector.

Yes, you are correct. I guess it's time for me to get one!

#13 Arctic eye

Arctic eye

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2021 - 12:47 PM

Yes, Paracorr2. Coma corrector is between Powermate and camera. This gives 2,3x total.

IMG_0722.JPG?img=smaller

I have been using also APM comacorrecting Barlow, which gives 1,5x...1,6x

IMG_0723.JPG?img=smaller

Excellent, really ! Could you tell us how many images were necessary for this mosaïc ?

Claude N.

I used 10 videos, 2400...2500 frames each, 10-20% stacked. And for the animation 7 such mosaics. AS is quite genious, because it uses different subset for each AP, not rejecting the whole frame.So no need to increase frame count when increasing coverage. Good and bad seeing is in smaller patches, one corner of large frame is good and one corner is bad, and the next second they are the opposite. This helps a lot and was a pleasant surprise when going into high resolution sensors. 

• shortonjr and Claude Navarro like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics