•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Markov's Chain over Mt. Lassen

Imaging DSO
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dheera

dheera

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:04 PM

Hi everyone! After a little hiatus with some bad weather spells I'm back with another deep sky landscape! This one is slightly less "in your face" but took a lot more effort to plan and line up.

Here's Markarian's Chain rising over Mt. Lassen in California, as seen with a 500mm lens from far away!

More "deepscapes" on my Instagram: https://instagram.com/dheeranet/

51127838083_f1d4a47b30_h.jpgMarkov Chain over Lassen by Dheera Venkatraman, on Flickr

Edited by dheera, 20 April 2021 - 12:05 PM.

• dswtan, Wigleydh, ub0423 and 23 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

Fantastic perspective! I can't view your linked page. Could you please describe how you did this?  Did you combine different exposures I am guessing??

#3 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:19 PM

A real beauty. Bravo!

Edited by BlueMoon, 20 April 2021 - 05:17 PM.

#4 Sky King

Sky King

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

Great concept and execution! Breathtaking!

#5 dheera

dheera

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:23 PM

Fantastic perspective! I can't view your linked page. Could you please describe how you did this?  Did you combine different exposures I am guessing??

Yes, the perspective is real but noise-reduced by an untracked ground stack and a tracked sky stack that was started once it rose to the appropriate height.

Edited by dheera, 20 April 2021 - 12:23 PM.

• AlwaysHungry likes this

#6 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:40 PM

Very beautiful shots--or shots--Dheera! Was wondering...could you tell me/us where exactly in Lassen NP you took this photo from? I'm going to be in the Park later this summer and would love to be able to attempt some shots w/ my DSLR on a tracking mount, etc., from your set-up site so I don't have to spend a lot of time hunting around for a good location.

Thanks!, Again, great photo!

-jim r-

#7 lattitrail

lattitrail

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: McCook, Nebraska

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:43 PM

This high level of creativity is why I love and find the hobby so inspiring. Incredible perspective, thank you for sharing! 

#8 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:47 PM

Dheera - All your work is excellent, but the "deep sky landscapes" are brilliant! Please, keep them coming!

Joe

#9 lynnelkriver

lynnelkriver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elk River, Mn.

Posted 20 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

Nicely done!  All the best, Scott

#10 Dan_I

Dan_I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:33 PM

Very good concept, and well done too ! I guess you have to be very precise with the choice of imaging spot and acquisition time ?

#11 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:44 PM

I am speachless by the beauty of this image, another breathtaking creation, excepcionally well done!

#12 dheera

dheera

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:50 PM

Very good concept, and well done too ! I guess you have to be very precise with the choice of imaging spot and acquisition time ?

Yes, there was an exact spot where this is possible. Even though I was over 40 kilometers away from the mountain, if I had moved even a few hundred meters of where I was, this alignment wouldn't have happened. I spend a lot of time looking for these alignments smile.gif it's not that different from aligning such mountains with the moon though. (Actually the moon is actually harder to plan for with because it moves to different RA every day, and the galaxies stay put at the same RA for millenia.)

Edited by dheera, 20 April 2021 - 02:53 PM.

#13 dheera

dheera

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

Very beautiful shots--or shots--Dheera! Was wondering...could you tell me/us where exactly in Lassen NP you took this photo from? I'm going to be in the Park later this summer and would love to be able to attempt some shots w/ my DSLR on a tracking mount, etc., from your set-up site so I don't have to spend a lot of time hunting around for a good location.

Thanks!, Again, great photo!

-jim r-

I usually don't post exact locations online to avoid eventual overcrowding at places that aren't designed for crowds, but here are some tips:

- I didn't take this from within the national park, but a few dozen kilometers away from it. That's the only way I could zoom in enough on the mountain to get the Markarian's Chain to the same field of view. If you try to shoot Lassen from within the national park, you'll have to inevitably use a wider lens to frame the mountain, and you can't frame DSOs like these in the same frame.

- If you want to shoot deepscapes, the trick is to look for what Azimuth the DSO rises from and then look in the opposite direction straight line for convenient viewpoints e.g. open fields, peaks, or vista points you can get to, that aren't on private property, or that you can get permission to be on. There is an app called PlanIt Pro that helps a lot with this planning.

- If you just want to shoot just DSOs alone and not deepscapes like this, inside the national park IS a good place to be. The sky is really really dark there, darker than where I shot this from. Pretty much anywhere in the park with open views is a good place.

- If you want to shoot Markarian's Chain, later in summer is not a good time. Now is a good time -- it's already at 30+ degrees up in the sky after sunset. But there are lots of other things to shoot later in summer.

- In the off-chance that you're not local to CA, wildfires are a common occurrence later in summer so plan some backup options. I wouldn't bet on a particular location being good for imaging late in summer.

Edited by dheera, 20 April 2021 - 03:12 PM.

• Sky King likes this

#14 xonefs

xonefs

Mariner 2

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:49 PM

Whoa that's a great idea and execution

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imaging, DSO

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics