•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron Skyguider Pro question (this should be quick)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thephotoguitarguy

thephotoguitarguy

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Woodstock,NB, Canada

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:58 PM

Good day everybody.  I have just a quick question regarding the dec bracket for the Ioptron Skyguider Pro (3550).   This came installed this way but it looked different than other SGP's I've seen and noticed that the heavy end has the bracket installed on it and the lighter end was for the cw shaft and weight.   I have since switched it but wonder if I should have left it?   Thanks for the replies.

Clear skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dec bracket.jpg

#2 thephotoguitarguy

thephotoguitarguy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:02 PM

I looked at the stock photo and it is set up the same.  Wouldn't this way make it top heavy?  

Attached Thumbnails

• Ioptron SkyGuiderPro 2.JPG

Edited by thephotoguitarguy, 20 April 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#3 thephotoguitarguy

thephotoguitarguy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:07 PM

But then you got over two images on the same grouping of photos and it is set up like this.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ioptron SkyGuiderPro 3.JPG

#4 Jim R

Jim R

Ranger 4

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

This method avoids the saddle screw clearance issues; the other way balances slightly better with longer cw shaft.

• thephotoguitarguy likes this

#5 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:16 PM

There's a youtube video by some amateur astronomer that talks about this issues, and he recommended reversing this bracket as the first thing you do when you buy this unit....Just found his name, it's Peter Zelinka, so maybe you can search on that and find his video....good luck!

-jim-

• Gostock and thephotoguitarguy like this

#6 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:20 PM

I switched mine around and there were no problems. It carried a WO Redcat 51 and Nikon D5300 DSLR using a Neewar mini-ball mount for the payload.

It also places the polar alignment scope reticle into a proper orientation without having to go through the hassles of removing the PAS and changing its orientation using that method.

Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 20 April 2021 - 05:23 PM.

#7 Gostock

Gostock

Explorer 1

• Loc: West Michigan, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

Here is a link to Peter Zelinka's video - starting at 16:05 - where he talks about reversing the declination bracket - 

https://youtu.be/jssf2ffHYbc?t=960

There's a youtube video by some amateur astronomer that talks about this issues, and he recommended reversing this bracket as the first thing you do when you buy this unit....Just found his name, it's Peter Zelinka, so maybe you can search on that and find his video....good luck!

-jim-

Edited by Gostock, 20 April 2021 - 05:26 PM.

#8 thephotoguitarguy

thephotoguitarguy

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses and I think that the question has been answered.   On another note, I noticed that the counterweight included 1.35kg (I believe) wouldn't balance a William Optics Z61 II with the flattener connected, without the camera attached which is a Canon 7D so I did end up ordering another counterweight, took off the dovetail on the scope but the scope still outweighs the counterweight.   Hoping that 2 counterweights will be enough for my intended setup.  

Edited by thephotoguitarguy, 20 April 2021 - 06:13 PM.

#9 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:37 PM

You might look into this extension from WO: https://agenaastro.c...-pro-mount.html to give you a bit more reach for the counterweight. It simply screws on the end of the stock counterweight bar.

Clear skies.

• Gostock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics