•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVX130T & SVX140T vs. Esprit 120/150

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

I am looking to get an APO in the 120-150mm range for AP to compliment my Esprit 100 and EdgeHD925.  This scope would be paired with my QHY268M.

I have no experience with SV scopes, and I am soliciting opinions of how the SVX130T & SVX140T compare to the Esprit 120/150 for photography purposes

The SVX130T is ~2x the price of the Esprit 120 and about the same as the Esprit 150.

Is there much difference between the SVX130T & SVX140T to justify the $1,500 difference?

How do the SVX130T & SVX140T compare with cream of the crop, AP130GTX (unobtanium) and TEC140FL?

Refractors.png

• AstroCatinfo likes this

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:01 PM

I've owned two Stellarvues, although not the latest.

I'd saty they sit in between the Esprits and the TEC and the AP.  My Stellarvues came with optical analyses of the specific scopes, I don't think the Esprits do that.  It's not only some guarantee of quality, it's shows the Stellarvue mindset.

Where on the scale?   I'd guess closer to the TEC and the AP, but that's just pulled out of my ear.  <smile>

I own both 183 cameras, and am in the process of pretty much replacing them with both ASI2600s.   I don't consider the 183 as batting in the same league, am willing to tradeoff some imaging scale with my C8 RASA.  The 294 is possible, but I would want, instead, the 571 chip and 16 bits with any of your scope choices, I personally prefer ZWO to QHY.

If I was spending $6658 on a 130, I'd get the $8158 140 instead.  I'd call that just about a no-brainer.  <smile>  The question is the Stellarvue 140 or the TEC?  Closer call.

Edited by bobzeq25, 20 April 2021 - 06:27 PM.

• AstroCatinfo and SilverLitz like this

#3 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:11 PM

Stellarvue uses Feather Touch larger focusers (about 1k$) and an extremely fine hand finished lens - comes with a test report.

• SilverLitz likes this

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

The Esprit scopes are straight out of the factory Chinese optics and tubes, made to order. They are good scopes. Similar to what Stellarvue used to do, so bet on Strehl ratios of .95 which is what SV guaranteed on their "Pre-SVX" scopes like my current SVA-130EDT. Stellarvue on the SVX optics spend additional polishing and correcting time to get them up to a minimum Strehl of .99 (actually .99-.996). According to Roland Christen he puts the SVX scopes right up near his. 

Whether its worth at extra $1500 depends on what you expect out of a scope. Plenty of good images are done by scopes in the .90-.95 Strehl range (we will leave out poly-strehl as most makers never go that far). There is very little difference between the Abbe performance of FPL-53/55, FCD100, and Calcium Fluorite when you get right down to it, other than whether you go the extra mile when creating the optics. So it depends on whether you want to buy something that is sold to compete with the lowest price or something that is competing with the best.

Like I have said before if you compare scopes you first need to add up the cost of the parts you are getting, and whatever is left is the cost of the optics. Personally you don't want the one that has the cheapest optics. There are plenty of ways to save on the optics, and none of them is good for you the customer. I prefer to buy the most I can although I have never own an A-P scope I have owned a TEC scope (TEC140ED) and it was the best refractor I have ever owned. Not the biggest but the best. And I have a deposit down on an SVX scope.

Edited by photoracer18, 20 April 2021 - 05:27 PM.

• AstroCatinfo and SilverLitz like this

#5 mborland

mborland

Mariner 2

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

I've owned an SVX080T, Esprit 80, and Esprit 120, exclusively for astrophotography. The Esprit 80 I received was optically inferior to the SVX080T, with very obvious off-center halos on bright stars; I returned it to the seller. My sample of the Esprit 120 is much better than my sample of the Esprit 80, but still shows some slightly pinched shapes on bright stars. Those don't bother me so much, so I've kept the Esprit 120 and not tried to adjust anything. I have no complaints about the Esprit 120's focuser. There are little things that are annoying with the Esprit 120, such as the felt not being well secured around the edge of the cap, the dew shield being a bit wobbly, and loose rubber support balls in the case. On the plus side, a diagonal, finder-scope, and field-flattener are included with the Esprit.

--Michael

• SilverLitz likes this

#6 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:11 PM

I have seen a couple of Strehl analysis of Esprit 120 at 0.942 and 0.980, which was better than Esprit 150 of 4 between 0.897 and 0.951.  I have seen a single report on the NP 127is at 0.970, single TEC140 at 0.871, and a few reports on FSQ-106 with a surprising wide range of 0.790 to 0.984 (QC problem or easily out of collimation).  Source: interferometrie.blogspot.com

This is definitely an SVX advantage with tight QC and lens tuning, not to mention of matching of FR and FR/FF to the exact telescope, if ordered at the same time.  USA manufacture is also a big plus.

Strehl is only a single measurement and only at 550nm, and I have not seen Poly-Strehl measures or spot diagrams of any of these.

#7 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:14 AM

I am looking to get an APO in the 120-150mm range for AP to compliment my Esprit 100 and EdgeHD925.  This scope would be paired with my QHY268M.

I have no experience with SV scopes, and I am soliciting opinions of how the SVX130T & SVX140T compare to the Esprit 120/150 for photography purposes

The SVX130T is ~2x the price of the Esprit 120 and about the same as the Esprit 150.

Is there much difference between the SVX130T & SVX140T to justify the $1,500 difference?

How do the SVX130T & SVX140T compare with cream of the crop, AP130GTX (unobtanium) and TEC140FL?

attachicon.gifRefractors.png

The SVX's have not been in the hands of enough people yet to know where they fit in. The numbers that Stellarvue guarantees are, obviously, superb, but I don't have an awful lot of faith in interferometric reports that don't come from an independent source. No knock on Stellarvue in particular--I own one of their scopes and love it. Certainly, Stellarvue knows how to make a good scope. If they have hired or contracted with a skilled optician the scopes may turn out to be wonderful. And, unlike the Astro-Physics scopes (a couple of which I also own), the waiting lists aren't generally multiple years long. 

Personally? I'd take a TEC140FL. It may be the most expensive scope in your lineup, but it's a proven commodity (despite the one Strehl measurement you referenced). It, also, works extremely well with the Astro-Physics reducer/flattener so no worries as to getting a matching reducer.

As to the price difference between the SVX130 and SVX140... Prices tend to scale with the area of glass used in the scope; that is, it increases as the square of the radius. It's not exact, of course, but it definitely goes up faster than the diameter. Whether it's worth the cost or not is for you to decide. The 130 is, obviously, the better value as a 5" scope has very similar performance to a 5.5" scope, but if you compare it to the TEC140 it suddenly seems like a bargain.

• SilverLitz likes this

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:15 AM

If they have hired or contracted with a skilled optician the scopes may turn out to be wonderful.

They've had two skilled opticians in the house (one's the owner) for many years.  Maybe more now, maybe not.  One advantage of Stellarvue has always been their ability to fix problems in house, without shipping scopes overseas.  The first time I called and had Vic (the owner) answer the phone himself was a shock, but he had no problem answering my question.

Their scopes have sometimes been original to them, sometimes been tweaked by them, sometimes just rebranded versions of Asian scopes.  It's often been hard to sort it  out, they were pretty tight lipped.

They appear going full upscale, discontinuing all their doublets, manufacturing lenses (all of them?) in house now.   But, as you say, there's not the same kind of track record there is for TEC and AP.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 April 2021 - 11:16 AM.

• AstroCatinfo likes this

#9 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

• Loc: Shenandoah Valley

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

I own a Stellarvue SV80-3SV, a predecessor of the current scopes. It has been a great performer and Stellarvue support has been fantastic. I'm hoping to buy a telescope in the same size range the OP mentioned and the Stellarvue's are at the top of my list.
  • bobzeq25 and mikela like this

#10 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:37 PM

In _classic_ CN style.  Have you thought about this?

https://www.teleskop...ht-Focuser.html

#11 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:52 PM

I own a Stellarvue SV80-3SV, a predecessor of the current scopes. It has been a great performer and Stellarvue support has been fantastic. I'm hoping to buy a telescope in the same size range the OP mentioned and the Stellarvue's are at the top of my list.

I was seriously looking at the SV80-3SV, and it was on the top of my list when I was hit by a car in Sep2019 (though it was backordered).  After a couple months of hospital/rehab stays, it had be rebadged as SVX, a 1x FF replaced the 0.74x FR/FF, and it went up $300.   I got a good opportunity to get my Esprit 100 for a little more, so I went that way.   

Did yours come with the 0.74x FR/FF?

#12 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

This PM, I notified SV that I would take the SVX140 from batch that should be finished in June.  I am also getting both the FF and FR/FF, and have SV add an extra M54 adapter so it can thread directly into the QHY OAG (save me a few mms to get the OAG to focus).  Getting these on the same scope order saves $400 and SV techs will make sure they exactly match the scope.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#13 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

Mine just hast the flattener, not the reducer. 

I was seriously looking at the SV80-3SV, and it was on the top of my list when I was hit by a car in Sep2019 (though it was backordered).  After a couple months of hospital/rehab stays, it had be rebadged as SVX, a 1x FF replaced the 0.74x FR/FF, and it went up $300.   I got a good opportunity to get my Esprit 100 for a little more, so I went that way.   

Did yours come with the 0.74x FR/FF?

#14 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:24 PM

Can you elaborate on what you had them change?

This PM, I notified SV that I would take the SVX140 from batch that should be finished in June.  I am also getting both the FF and FR/FF, and have SV add an extra M54 adapter so it can thread directly into the QHY OAG (save me a few mms to get the OAG to focus).  Getting these on the same scope order saves $400 and SV techs will make sure they exactly match the scope.

#15 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:00 PM

Can you elaborate on what you had them change?

I did not have them change anything, but ADD a M54 adapter for the FR/FF.  I am still getting them with the normal M48.  It is nice that all these screw off the FF or FR/FF, and both have the exact same threading.  This was an extra $39.  SV has several differing threading adapters for these.

The 140 is $6995 (130 is $5495), but when you order the FF or FR/FF (or both) with your scope, they cost $499/ea, instead of $699, when ordered separate.  There is the extra bonus of having the SV techs make sure these match your specific scope ~exactly.

#16 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:04 PM

Mine just hast the flattener, not the reducer. 

I read somewhere that SV was having trouble getting the 0.74x to work as well as they wanted (or took too much time tweaking) with the SV80.  

#17 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:54 PM

I have previously called the 130gtx unobtaniuim, but that's not exactly true. I found one recently after about a year. If youbare patient, the best of the best is obtainable.

I've owned an esprit and an svx. My vote would be for the svx line for build quality and star quality... bit it's not a huge win. Either scope lines are decent.

I have not used a tec, but they have a good reputation.

#18 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 02:38 PM

I have updated my table, with more scopes and combined the FoV into a single entry.   This is for any other reader's benefit, as I have already put my $$$$ on a new SVX-140T for summer delivery.

Refractors.jpg

The yellow highlighted cells are my guestimates.

Edited by SilverLitz, 24 April 2021 - 02:39 PM.

• jeremiah2229, mborland and mikela like this

#19 ac4lt

ac4lt

Viking 1

Posted 24 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

Great resource, thanks for sharing it!

#20 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

Choose the SVX BY FAR. Not even close.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics