•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Center-Rod: tripod to mount

Celestron Equipment Mount Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KeplerKrater

KeplerKrater

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:18 PM

I have a Celestron CGEM-DX mount on a Celestron CGE tripod (the one that has 2.75" diam. legs). I do not have a pier section between tripod head & mount base.

My question: The center rod that holds the mount to the tripod also holds the heavy accessory tray that provides rigidity to the tripod legs. But the rod has threads at each end. One end goes into the mount; but what are the threads for at the other far end??

Note #1: I'm not talking about threads in the middle of the rod for securing the accessory tray; but the threads at the very end. 

Note #2: I was trying to attach pics, but I can't get them down to 500KB!!  Which seems really small in this day-n-age. 

Any feedback on the center-rod and/or getting smaller image files will be much appreciated. 

#2 Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson

Viking 1

• Loc: Stockholm, NJ

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:33 PM

The treads at the far end allow you to spin the tray locking nut down to those threads so that the tray slides down and you can collapse the tripod without removing the tray.

#3 KeplerKrater

KeplerKrater

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:50 PM

Thank you, Chris.

I'm placing my tripod on a JMI Wheely Bar (tripod dolly), with the tripod legs spread as wide as possible; going from  stock 60-deg from horiz. to 50 for a more stable stance; which doesn't allow the use of the accessory tray. I'm going to extend the center rod w/ a turnbuckle system and attached it to the center of the tripod dolly base to lock the tripod/mount/ota assembly down. I'm looking at hacksawing off the end piece of the stock center-rod to utilize a coupler to attach the turnbuckle/eye bolt system. Thanks again for allowing me to move forward...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Equipment, Mount, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics