•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help and advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• topic starter
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

I'm still in the process of attempting to build a complete and usable set of eyepieces, for use in my f8 and f10 refractors.

Goal is to do so , for less than the cost of a premium eyepiece.

Hence my buying the five element 70 degree eyepieces, but........

I just yesterday had a conversation with agena astro, and was told they wouldn't have any in stock until June ,something ish

I got my money back, and checked the paradigms here at astronomics, they simply say " more on the way "....grrrr

So now I'm thinking , used sounds good, lol.

So now Im looking for 4? eyepieces, starting at 20mm and down to 5 or 6mm staggered to give a usable magnification range, 

68 or 70 degree fov, for 150 or less

The bresser or agena   20 - 15 - 10  would be cool.

Any other candidates or options? 

Thoughts , advice ?

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

These (the price is for 4):

https://www.aliexpre...=c&gclsrc=aw.ds

or these:

https://www.aliexpre...#3468#15617#889

Shop hard and you might find sets for a lot less apiece than buying each separately.

Edited by Starman1, 20 April 2021 - 06:22 PM.

#3 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

The "Apetura"  from Highpoint , 20,15 and 10 mm - 70 degrees AFOV are in stock and  reasonably priced

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

Any other candidates or options?

Andy:

Being that this is the Cloudy Nights Eyepiece Forum and you are looking for 70 degree eyepieces under $150, let me take care of the obligatory recommendations:

The Televue Delos

The Pentax XWs

and for good measure:

The TeleVue Ethos

Explore Scientific 92's.

With those out of the way, you can now get down to business. :)

(Another one of Jon's feeble attempts at internet humor)

Jon

• dan_h, JamesDuffey, PKDfan and 1 other like this

#5 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

I started my upgrade from Plossls with the less expensive 70-degree, 5 and six element eyepieces - Williams Optics SWANs, GSO SWAs and the like. Initially, I was wowed by their wider views, but it didn't take long before I was seeking better edge correction than these can provide - even at f/10. It became a bit of a distraction that the additional view they provided was not very good to look at. Your refractors will do better with these less expensive designs, but not your fast 12" Dob. Sadly, under $150, 70-degrees, and well-corrected are mutually exclusive - you simply can't get all three without spending more on more advanced, premium designs.

Your best bet at an affordable price is to look at eyepieces that provide 60-65 degrees. For example, the BST/Agena Starguiders/Paradigms, as well as Celestron's X-Cel LX line are both excellent values at 60-degrees. Hard to beat the Starguiders/Paradigms at just $60 each, and most are excellent performers.

If you want to go a little bit wider and spend a little more, the APM Ultra Flat Fields (Altair UF, Meade UHD and Celestron Ultima Edge are all the same eyepieces) provide an excellent 65-degrees and the sub-24mm ones are less than $150 each. You could invest in the 24 or 30mm later when you feel like spending $200.

To get good performance in all three of your scopes above 65 degrees, you really need to move up to ES 68s or Panoptics. There's nothing wrong with economizing and buying the ES/68s used here - all generally under $150 - as a used one is no different than new.

Hope this helps a bit. Remember - you can always start with what feels right price-wise now, and upgrade later if you wish to. You may not need to, but you can always sell your old ones here to recover much of your initial investment.

Edited by PJBilotta, 20 April 2021 - 08:31 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics