•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A difference between single lens and abbey condenser?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Apollo, PA, USA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:53 AM

Is there a significant difference? When the product says “single lens with diaphragm” or “abbey condenser with iris diaphragm”, do both the single lens and the abbey styles use the same iris diaphragm or?

Im about to buy a scope and need to know if the added cost is worth it. 

Thanks. 

#2 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:49 PM

So I now know that an iris diaphragm is separate from the condenser. But I still need to know if there is a difference between an abbey and a single lens condenser. At least if the difference in cost is worth it. 

#3 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:57 PM

The single lens with a filter that has an aperture hole(s) in it is a very basic way of getting the light close to where you need it.  It is a method generally used only in the lowest end of microscopes and is only "fairly" effective. 

The Abbe condenser with iris allows the user to put that light exactly where they need it and at the correct size they need it.  This gives you complete control over the light including where to put it, the size of the light cone as well as the depth of the focused light.  This is used in mid to upper level microscopes.

Whether the Abbe condenser is worth the cost depends on your level of microscopy and your intended uses.  The more features you desire or need, the higher the cost of the microscope.  The ability to focus the light exactly how and where you need it comes at a cost.  That being said, most of us around my age started in microscopy by using microscopes that only utilized a bottom mirror and we had little control over that light.  I wouldn't go back to those microscopes voluntarily but it was good enough for a very, very long time.

Patrick

• Javier1978 and Jim4321 like this

#4 ryansmonacles20

ryansmonacles20

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

I decided on this one at $119 and the $35 prepared kit with 25 samples and some slides and covers. Hopefully that should cover many years worth of looking around. 

https://www.amscope....ical-stage.html

M200-MS

#5 EJN

EJN

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:58 PM

A single lens condenser usually has an N.A. (numerical aperture) of 0.65. An Abbe (no 'y') condenser has an N.A. of 1.25, which is pretty much a necessity if you want to use an oil-immersion objective.

#6 Brianm14

Brianm14

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 28 June 2021 - 09:40 PM

I’d recommend not getting involved with oil immersion lenses.  It takes much specialized effort, and what you see is not all that fascinating.  Stick with protists and plant and animal tissues for rewarding viewing.

You will want an Abbe condenser for control of your ever-vital illumination.  Pick up one of several relatively inexpensive books on microscopy before you buy. You’ll be happier if you learn a few basic facts first.

best wishes,

Brian

Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society (FRMS)

#7 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:27 AM

Get the one with the Abbe condenser.  There are some videos on YouTube that explain how to use one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics