•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question on HA mod & DSLR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gig Harbor, Washington

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

If I set the DSLR to take mono photo's in camera can I add my Ha filter to pick up the HA targets in black & white? Either way I will try it. Thanks.

#2 qswat72

qswat72

Ranger 4

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:33 PM

Setting your DSLR to mono doesn’t actually make it a monochrome camera. It is basically the same as turning the saturation slider all the way down in an editing program. So you will not be able to get the same results as a mono camera.

Personally, I’d go for a duo-narrowband filter instead of an Ha filter. This will allow you to get the benefits of narrowband imaging, without the drawbacks that a single bandpasses filter will have on a color sensor.
  • DonDon and bobzeq25 like this

#3 randcpoll

randcpoll

Messenger

• Loc: New York

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

Whether you set it to black and white or not the Ha filter will permit only those wavelengths of light to reach the sensor.

The bayer matrix on the front of the sensor will only register that light on one (the one behind the red) out of every four pixels, and that will be very dim unless your camera has been modified.

But as you have said, try it and see if it suits your needs.

• DonDon likes this

#4 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, I will still try it A sacrificial night will work. Thanks for the reply's! 

#5 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:58 PM

And you should be shooting in RAW anyway, which would make any B/W setting moot.

• jrcrilly and DonDon like this

#6 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:03 PM

And you should be shooting in RAW anyway, which would make any B/W setting moot.

I am and I didn't know that. Never mind, lol... 

#7 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:09 PM

The duoband filters like the LEnhance and the LExtreme are designed to work with one shot color cameras, including DSLRs.  They'll do _exactly_ what you want to do, better than an Ha filter (which is designed for a mono camera) would.  They're justifiably popular.

Emission nebulae only, of course.

Edited by bobzeq25, 21 April 2021 - 01:10 PM.

• DonDon likes this

#8 DonDon

DonDon

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:13 PM

The duoband filters like the LEnhance and the LExtreme are designed to work with one shot color cameras, including DSLRs.  They'll do _exactly_ what you want to do, better than an Ha filter (which is designed for a mono camera) would.  They're justifiably popular.

Emission nebulae only, of course.

Got it, I do have the L-Enhance filter I'll try also. 

#9 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:27 PM

If you already have the filter, by all means give it a shot! You can shoot H-a in full moonlight with very little impact. Just keep in mind you'll only be using 1 out of every 4 pixels on the sensors. Not sure what software you have, but APP has a debayer algorithm for H-a shot with a DSLR that might give you a smoother result.

I have an l-enhance filter, too, but even the slight amount of CA I have in my lenses causes the H-a light to be slightly out of focus when OIII is sharp, and vice versa. Kind of defeats the purpose of a dual band filter if you have to go back and shoot the H-a to get it in focus. So since you already have the H-a filter, you could use it for shooting H-a, and use the l-enhance as an OIII filter.

• DonDon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics