•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Today's post from the Big Bend Citizens Alliance - community meeting re: dark sky

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:56 PM

This posted to the BBCA facebook site today, just in case any of you are in the area later this week. I have written the group and the Brewster and Presidio County Commissioners in support of their dark sky initiatives. I told of my travels to their area specifically to take advantage of the observing potential. Those notes have made it into the hands of, among others Park Rangers at Big Bend Ranch State Park from whom I have gotten replies and offers to participate in some observing data gathering programs they are running.

I encourage others to communicate your appreciation for these dark sky efforts and tell them of your travels or travel interests that are based on the dark sky. The powers that be in the "tri-county area" (12,312.1 square miles, land area 27% larger than Maryland) are working to advance our mutual interests! Our support is evidence they can use.

The meeting is in Terlingua.

The post:

Sara Allen Colando, Brewster County Commissioner Pct 2

ยท
I'm holding a town hall meeting on Saturday, April 24th 11:00 AM at the Red Pattillo Community Center to answer questions about Dark Sky Preservation measures in the tri-county area.
We'll be focusing on Brewster County's outdoor lighting ordinance, the recent debate over legislation to amend the tax code, and what "dark sky friendly" lighting practices look like.
If the weather is nice, we'll stay outside on the Community Center's front porch. If we have to move the meeting inside, mask wearing is recommended per CDC guidelines.
I hope to see you there!

• Inkswitch, Augustus and Dynan like this

#2 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

Do you have a link with contact information in order to send an email supporting their dark sky efforts?

• Dynan likes this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:27 PM

Do you have a link with contact information in order to send an email supporting their dark sky efforts?

Well it would have been smarter to have included that, eh...

Here's the email contact address I used to initiate communications. It was connected to the University of Texas McDonald Observatory efforts to establish a regional dark sky status. It was effective at bringing other contacts.

bigbenddarksky@gmail.com

#4 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:18 PM

Well it would have been smarter to have included that, eh...

Here's the email contact address I used to initiate communications. It was connected to the University of Texas McDonald Observatory efforts to establish a regional dark sky status. It was effective at bringing other contacts.

bigbenddarksky@gmail.com

Thanks, I sent a post to the effect of, "In regards to the posted information below, please be advised of my future plans to visit the dark skies provided by the ordinance and wish to express my thanks for the foresight and wisdom in allowing myself and future generations to partake in the exploration of the night time sky as it should be seen.

Sincerely,"

I then included the information about the meeting from the initial post in this thread. I didn't specify when in the future I might visit but it's on my bucket list. I suggest others do the same...

• havasman likes this

#5 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:34 PM

Cool.

The folks involved are all on the same page and are working together. If the County Commission holds a public meeting in Terlingua to present the issues it's a good bet some Park Rangers from Study Butte and the Big Bend Ranch State Park are on the night's bill. Potential for success is pretty high. These Texas Parks and Wildlife folks have a lot of cred in the region because of their record of positive contributions over time. It's pretty hard to overstate the level of respect they have in their communities.

• RLK1 likes this

#6 RLK1

RLK1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, I sent a post to the effect of, "In regards to the posted information below, please be advised of my future plans to visit the dark skies provided by the ordinance and wish to express my thanks for the foresight and wisdom in allowing myself and future generations to partake in the exploration of the night time sky as it should be seen.

Sincerely,"

I then included the information about the meeting from the initial post in this thread. I didn't specify when in the future I might visit but it's on my bucket list. I suggest others do the same...

BTW, I received a thank you in response to my email so I again encourage others to do the same.

• havasman likes this

#7 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:52 PM

These are effective inputs. We should support the local efforts. They local efforts are what matters. We reap the benefits while at the same time supporting a local economy. Symbiosis.

• paul and RLK1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics