•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12" SCT on EQ6-R Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:02 PM

I'm just curious if anyone has had used a 12" SCT on their EQ6-R Pro for visual and could give some feedback. I'm thinking this is too much for the mount. I've put my 9.25" SCT on the mount and it behaves excellent for visual and even photography.

A Meade 12" SCT comes in at 37lbs without accessories.

Thanks!

Edited by dwyer2bp, 21 April 2021 - 01:03 PM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

Should be fine for visual, may have wind or touch issues.

#3 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:27 PM

I've never attempted what you propose, so I cannot answer directly from experience.  The mount is sturdy and is rated for up to 44#.  The SCT is relatively compact (compared to a refractor) so it has a small moment-arm.  Balance it well and it should be good for visual.  As long as you are not mounting a lot of extra heavy equipment, like cameras, guiding equipment, etc, you should be fine.

You may be the first guy to try this, so YOU may be the one advising future attempters of this project.

#4 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

I've never attempted what you propose, so I cannot answer directly from experience.  The mount is sturdy and is rated for up to 44#.  The SCT is relatively compact (compared to a refractor) so it has a small moment-arm.  Balance it well and it should be good for visual.  As long as you are not mounting a lot of extra heavy equipment, like cameras, guiding equipment, etc, you should be fine.

You may be the first guy to try this, so YOU may be the one advising future attempters of this project.

To boldly go where nobody has gone before...tempting lol

#5 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

Well I think you be ok there as the EQ6-R has a payload capacity of 20kg or 44lbs for imaging purposes apparently which is hard to believe!?your Meade weighs in around the 34lbs,yes I’m sure it will be ok for visual purposes however for around the same price I would also consider the NEQ6 with a maximum payload capacity of 55lbs personally i feel this would be more sufficient with your Meade 12” OTA and accessories as it will put less strain on the drives and tracking goto acuracy.

#6 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

Well I think you be ok there as the EQ6-R has a payload capacity of 20kg or 44lbs for imaging purposes apparently which is hard to believe!?your Meade weighs in around the 34lbs,yes I’m sure it will be ok for visual purposes however for around the same price I would also consider the NEQ6 with a maximum payload capacity of 55lbs personally i feel this would be more sufficient with your Meade 12” OTA and accessories as it will put less strain on the drives and tracking goto acuracy.

Well I'm in the opposite scenario. I own the EQ6-R Pro (and love it) and was considering a 12" sct after seeing one in the classifieds. I remember the 1st time having my 9.25" sct on this mount and there was some vibration noticeable at the eyepiece under magnification. But If I'm careful and properly balanced, it is rock solid with the 9.25".

I'll checkout that mount regardless. Thanks for the suggestion.

#7 at dusk

at dusk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:49 PM

I’ve owned a Eq6-r for several years. Last year I decided to buy a made Acf 12” from a friend of mine. 

At first it seemed to be a good combination. I took several good pictures  of the moon and the main planets. The tracking was smooth and it seemed that the mount could cope with the weight of the telescope easily.

But problems began first time I took the telescope to a dark location and I used the goto to find objects.

After half and hour the mount stopped working and I had to switch it off and on. It worked for a while until I experienced again the same problem

Back at home I tried the mount with one of my refractors ( apm 130 f/9.25, 9 kilos and very long) and it worked without any issues. I switched the telescopes and set up the 12” and after some minutes the problems returned.

i really don’t Know what the problem was but it was related to the weight of the meade so I had to sell it.

I’ve used the mount with a 9.25 edge hd and several big refractors ( between 130 and 140 mm) and I’ve never experienced problems with another telescope. 

So I wouldn’t recommend this set up at all

Regards

• dwyer2bp likes this

#8 dwyer2bp

dwyer2bp

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 03:12 PM

I’ve owned a Eq6-r for several years. Last year I decided to buy a made Acf 12” from a friend of mine. 

At first it seemed to be a good combination. I took several good pictures  of the moon and the main planets. The tracking was smooth and it seemed that the mount could cope with the weight of the telescope easily.

But problems began first time I took the telescope to a dark location and I used the goto to find objects.

After half and hour the mount stopped working and I had to switch it off and on. It worked for a while until I experienced again the same problem

Back at home I tried the mount with one of my refractors ( apm 130 f/9.25, 9 kilos and very long) and it worked without any issues. I switched the telescopes and set up the 12” and after some minutes the problems returned.

i really don’t Know what the problem was but it was related to the weight of the meade so I had to sell it.

I’ve used the mount with a 9.25 edge hd and several big refractors ( between 130 and 140 mm) and I’ve never experienced problems with another telescope. 

So I wouldn’t recommend this set up at all

Regards

My gut feeling agrees with your experience. I don't want to invest in more-issues but invest in less-issues.

Plus: I love using this mount for astrophotography and if I ended up hurting its lifespan I think I would be miserable.

Edited by dwyer2bp, 21 April 2021 - 03:14 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics