•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which T-Ring for Canon T3i?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Columbus, OH, USA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

I am looking at purchasing this telescope, and I don't know what item(s) I will need in order to attach my Canon T3i to it. Will this t-ring work? I will be purchasing a field flattener in the future, so I'm just looking for whatever I need to attach my DSLR to the telescope. Currently, I use a 50mm lens, so I'm ignorant of what equipment is required.

Thank you!

• 72Nova likes this

#2 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

I don't know what the inner thread of that one is, if it's m42 or m48, but I would go with an m48 t-ring. This is the one I have for my AT60ED scope:

https://www.astronom...flatteners.html

• nickkohrn likes this

#3 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:38 PM

I don't know what the inner thread of that one is, if it's m42 or m48, but I would go with an m48 t-ring. This is the one I have for my AT60ED scope:

https://www.astronom...flatteners.html

Well, if that is what works for you, then I will go with what works.

Thanks!

#4 rblackadar

rblackadar

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:53 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you probably would need a nosepiece for the adapter as well, so that it can fit into the focuser as if the whole thing were a 2" eyepiece. (That is, assuming I understand you right, that your initial use would be without the flattener.) I don't think the telescope focuser has male threads that will fit the T-ring. But I could be wrong.

T-ring/nosepiece combos can be had very cheaply on Ebay, though I think they are usually 42mm thread.

#5 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you probably would need a nosepiece for the adapter as well, so that it can fit into the focuser as if the whole thing were a 2" eyepiece. (That is, assuming I understand you right, that your initial use would be without the flattener.) I don't think the telescope focuser has male threads that will fit the T-ring. But I could be wrong.

T-ring/nosepiece combos can be had very cheaply on Ebay, though I think they are usually 42mm thread.

Ah, I see that now. Maybe I should get the flattener now and set myself up for a full-frame sensor in the future, which I am certain will come into my possession at some point. That way, I can attach the camera to the t-ring, the t-ring to the flattener, and the flattener to the telescope.

#6 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:08 PM

Sorry, I missed that about not getting the flattener yet. If you decide not to get it, you'll need some other pieces. Going off memory here, but I believe the scope has an m54 thread on it coming out of the focuser. So you'll need an M54 - M48 adapter, and then a couple of extension rings, otherwise the camera won't be far back enough to reach focus. It looks like the AT60 flattener/reducer is in stock, but not just the flattener. If you don't want the reducer, the William Optics adjustable one for the Z61 will work just fine for the AT60ED, plus it comes with the camera angle adjuster. Then you just thread the m48 t-ring on the end of the flattener.

#7 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

Sorry, I missed that about not getting the flattener yet. If you decide not to get it, you'll need some other pieces. Going off memory here, but I believe the scope has an m54 thread on it coming out of the focuser. So you'll need an M54 - M48 adapter, and then a couple of extension rings, otherwise the camera won't be far back enough to reach focus. It looks like the AT60 flattener/reducer is in stock, but not just the flattener. If you don't want the reducer, the William Optics adjustable one for the Z61 will work just fine for the AT60ED, plus it comes with the camera angle adjuster. Then you just thread the m48 t-ring on the end of the flattener.

Thanks so much for your help. It looks like the telescope now comes standard with the camera angle adjuster. Since I'm not in a hurry, I think I will go with the flattener and t-ring to reduce the number of parts that I will need. Having a lower barrier to entry, with regard to the number of parts needed, will make the transition from a 50mm DSLR lens to a telescope a bit easier.

#8 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, most t-rings are backordered, but I found two sources that seem to have them in stock (Amazon & Orion). They appear to be the same product, so I want to make sure that I am ordering the correct item.

After reading the following text of the reducer/flattener description, it seems that I am on the right track, but correct me if needed.

The Astro-Tech ATRF60 reducer/flattener threads on the 60ED focusers. The flattener is threaded for attachment to the telescope via a 54mm metric thread. The camera side of the reducer has 48mm T-threads to connect to a T-ring and camera body. Back focus is 55mm from the shoulder of the reducer to the image plane, the standard spacing for 35mm and DSLR camera bodies.

Edited by nickkohrn, 22 April 2021 - 09:40 AM.

#9 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:49 AM

It's probably the same product, just rebranded by different vendors. That one will work fine, and is the one I use with my 600D.

• nickkohrn likes this

#10 72Nova

72Nova

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coachella Valley, CA

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:23 PM

I have the At60ED(with .8 flattener) and Canon T31.  Telescope came last week and I realized I needed a new t ring 

I would verify with astronomics before ordering.  I ordered one from Amazon...it is a m48 .75 t ring adapter. It is $7 and was delivered in 2 days 

here is a pic of setup

Attached Thumbnails

• 3A695FCB-3829-44C6-9267-BA4315BE9A78.jpeg

• nickkohrn likes this

#11 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 02:29 PM

I have the At60ED(with .8 flattener) and Canon T31.  Telescope came last week and I realized I needed a new t ring 

I would verify with astronomics before ordering.  I ordered one from Amazon...it is a m48 .75 t ring adapter. It is $7 and was delivered in 2 days 

here is a pic of setup

Thanks for the information! I have a couple of t-ring adapters arriving this week, so I am hoping that one of them will fit appropriately. Now, I am trying to figure out how to mount the ASIAir Pro to the second finder shoe that I have on order. Do you mind sharing how you mounted your ASIAir Pro?

#12 72Nova

72Nova

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

Sure....I’m assuming that your At60ed came with one finder shoe like mine did. You will see that is connected to the telescope by 2 small hex screws on the top of the focuser. When you get the second shoe, remove the 2 hex screws on the opposite side of the focuser and secure the shoe just like the one that came with the scope.

The ASIAIR pro WiFi box slides right in. It took me some time to figure out how to mount these shoes and I was hesitant to start removing screws from my new scope. I mount the asiair pro on one finder shoe and the mini guide scope on the other one

Edited by 72Nova, 28 April 2021 - 04:02 PM.

#13 72Nova

72Nova

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2021 - 04:28 PM

It will look like this when complete

Attached Thumbnails

• DC4228E4-CEFD-4152-A5B6-4F1CA37FC3FA.jpeg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics