•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help! Canon EOS R won't take photos w/ Celestron Nexstar 5SE

Astrophotography Beginner Cassegrain Celestron DSLR Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

I am brand new to observing the night sky.  I bought a Celestron Nexstar 5se telescope (first time in my life seeing through a telescope or owning one) a couple of weeks ago and I've been learning so much!  I bought a Canon EOS R with the 24-105mm lens (first time owning a more than $200 camera) and I've been taking lots of great photos everywhere I go!

After viewing videos in YouTube (i.e., AstroBackyard, NebulaPhotos, etc.), I learned how to do the Manual settings and I was able to take photos with the EOS R and the 24-105mm lens of the night sky.  However, I still cannot get the EOS R to work with the Celestron NexStar 5SE.  I've tried many things every day (and night) over the past week, including setting the focus to infinity with the Canon 24-105mm lens, taking a picture with that setting, turning the camera off, taping the focus ring so that it doesn't move, connecting it to the NexStar 5SE, turning it on, acquiring the object, and trying to take the photo without any success.  Anyone know what the trick is?...  I'd greatly appreciate your advise to get my EOS R to work with my NexStar 5SE.  Thanks!

Edited by egarcia0033, 22 April 2021 - 02:22 PM.

#2 Mr. Pepap

Mr. Pepap

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

SCT scopes are infamously hard to learn AP with, have patience!

I must acquire a bit of background info though to diagnose the problem:

1) By "cannot get it to work," what exactly does that entail? are you taking photos just fine, but the objects you are trying to image not showing up?

2) How are you trying to take the images? ISO? Exposure time? Any calibration frames?

3) What objects are you trying to image?

4) What equipment do you have besides the C5 and the EOS R?

5) What conditions were you trying to image in? Seeing (on a scale of 0-5)? Light pollution?

Also if you're trying to mount the entire camera up against the eyepiece, don't do that. You need to get a T-ring adapter, remove the diagonal and eyepiece, as well as the entire lens assembly, and stick it on the end of the OTA that way.

Edited by Mr. Pepap, 21 April 2021 - 04:35 PM.

• egarcia0033 likes this

#3 mbechtel

mbechtel

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

It sounds like you still are trying to use the canon lens at the telescope. You remove the canon lens, and use these to connect the DSLR to the telescope.

https://www.amazon.c...018225398&psc=1

Backyard EOS is a great software tool to use with your computer to focus and take pictures. Good luck and have fun.

• egarcia0033 likes this

#4 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:30 PM

The Canon R would likely require a RF>EF adapter in order to use a regular T type Canon adapter for the telescope. The R system has a different mount than the EF Canon cameras. (I owned an R, and just upgraded to the R6). 

If you are instead trying to use the R and its 24-105 lens to take a picture thru the eyepiece of the 5SE, that is a different story. I would think that would be problematic at best. 

Frankly, it may be easier to just get a simple smartphone adapter for the eyepiece, attach that to  the eyepiece, and find something bright and try to take some pics that way. Such as pics of the moon with your smartphone. Those adapters are pretty cheap. I tried the Celestron model, but was a bit frustrated trying to connect it properly. 

If you want to put the R  with its lens on a tripod, and take a picture of the night sky itself not using the telescope, use the CanonConnect app, which can connect to a smartphone, and take pictures manually. Given the moon is pretty bright now, that would be a good target. 

Good luck. I don't do astrophography, and don't own a SCT right now. I have taken simple milky way shots with the R, using a camera tracker to drive it, and used a cable to hold the shutter open . 

• egarcia0033 likes this

#5 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

Hi all.  Thanks so much for the replies.

@Mr. Pepap:

1) By "cannot get it to work," what exactly does that entail? are you taking photos just fine, but the objects you are trying to image not showing up?

[EG] I cannot take any photos.  I press the button and it just flickers but doesn't take the photo.  I can locate and even focus objects through the camera's LCD but that's it.

2) How are you trying to take the images? ISO? Exposure time? Any calibration frames?

[EG] I've tried all ISOs (100 through 6400), 1 sec to 10 secs, and nothing seems to work.

3) What objects are you trying to image?

[EG] At this point, any objects -- Sirius, Orion's objects (stars and nebula), the moon, etc.

4) What equipment do you have besides the C5 and the EOS R?

[EG] That's it.  I'm just too new and I just want to learn enough before I venture into buying more equipment like the Radian Raptor 61, the ZWO guiding camera, scope, and guiding system, tracking system like iOptron's StarGuider, filters, etc.

5) What conditions were you trying to image in? Seeing (on a scale of 0-5)? Light pollution?  

[EG] Light pollution is very minimal.  And nights have been cloudless lately (except for last night).  I even had 3 nights without moon!  smile.gif

#6 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:14 PM

@Mbechtel:

I actually remove the lens before I try connecting it to the telescope.  So, I just connect the camera (without the lens) to the NexStar 5SE via the t-ring and t-adapter.

Thanks for the recommendations -- I'll take a look at that software.  smile.gif

Edited by egarcia0033, 22 April 2021 - 02:14 PM.

#7 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

@Bill Jensen:

Thanks Bill.  Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing: setting the EOS R (with the lens) on a tripod and taking 2" to 4" shots of bright objects (including Orion's Nebula) and, using the stacker and Lightroom, I've gotten some descent photos.  

I've also taken some nice photos with mi iPhone using the phone adapter -- I've got a couple of nice eye pieces.  

I'm just frustrated I can't do the same with the EOS R mounted on the telescope.  :-/

I think I'm just going to call Celestron and Canon directly and see what they say.  

Thanks again!  :)

#8 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:21 PM

Make sure that in the firmware setting you have it set to work without lens communication.

“release shutter without lens” setting in custom function 3 maybe ?

Clear Skies !!

• ewave, sharkmelley and egarcia0033 like this

#9 RogeZ

RogeZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

Make sure that in the firmware setting you have it set to work without lens communication.

Clear Skies !!

I’m certain this is it. 

• galacticinsomnia and egarcia0033 like this

#10 Mr. Pepap

Mr. Pepap

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Maryland

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

I cannot take any photos.  I press the button and it just flickers but doesn't take the photo.  I can locate and even focus objects through the camera's LCD but that's it.

I've tried all ISOs (100 through 6400), 1 sec to 10 secs, and nothing seems to work.

At this point, any objects -- Sirius, Orion's objects (stars and nebula), the moon, etc.

That's it.  I'm just too new and I just want to learn enough before I venture into buying more equipment like the Radian Raptor 61, the ZWO guiding camera, scope, and guiding system, tracking system like iOptron's StarGuider, filters, etc.

Light pollution is very minimal.  And nights have been cloudless lately (except for last night).  I even had 3 nights without moon!  smile.gif

OK,

Since you were able to center and focus the object in the camera frame, and everything else seems to have been fine, this makes me suspect that it's a problem with the camera itself. I don't know much about the EOS R other than that it is an excellent astrophotography camera, so don't give up on it. I'd try updating the firmware and contacting Canon if the problem persists. As a user above mentioned, there are some settings on your camera that you should try out. Also, you mentioned in the OP that you tried taping down the focus ring. That shouldn't be necessary because to properly fit the camera, you have to get an adapter, remove the entire lens assembly on the camera, then stick it into the end of the optical tube assembly, where the diagonal and eyepiece usually go. You then adjust the focus using the knob on your telescope.

Also when you do get everything working, you should set the ISO as low as possible and take exposures up to 30 seconds, nothing more (since you have an Alt-Az mount). Take hundreds of these photos, and calibration frames (calibration frames are a whole new ballgame, there's a bunch of threads on this site that can help you with that), then stack them in some software (there's a ton you can download online that are free to use), and you'll be impressed with the results.

Clear skies and good luck!

Edited by Mr. Pepap, 22 April 2021 - 04:38 PM.

• egarcia0033 likes this

#11 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

As others have said, Canon started putting in a frustrating setting that needs to be set to 'ON' in order for the camera to work without a lens (in this case a t adaptor and a telescope). This setting should be in one of the custom function menus (orange). On my Canon Ra it's under the menu "C. Fn5: others". It's called "Release shutter w/o lens" and it must be set to "ON" in order to take photos with your telescope.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
  • ewave, sharkmelley and egarcia0033 like this

#12 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:46 AM

Clear Skies !!

@galacticinsomnia

Thanks.  I do have that setting enabled.  :)

#13 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:49 AM

OK,

Since you were able to center and focus the object in the camera frame, and everything else seems to have been fine, this makes me suspect that it's a problem with the camera itself. I don't know much about the EOS R other than that it is an excellent astrophotography camera, so don't give up on it. I'd try updating the firmware and contacting Canon if the problem persists. As a user above mentioned, there are some settings on your camera that you should try out. Also, you mentioned in the OP that you tried taping down the focus ring. That shouldn't be necessary because to properly fit the camera, you have to get an adapter, remove the entire lens assembly on the camera, then stick it into the end of the optical tube assembly, where the diagonal and eyepiece usually go. You then adjust the focus using the knob on your telescope.

Also when you do get everything working, you should set the ISO as low as possible and take exposures up to 30 seconds, nothing more (since you have an Alt-Az mount). Take hundreds of these photos, and calibration frames (calibration frames are a whole new ballgame, there's a bunch of threads on this site that can help you with that), then stack them in some software (there's a ton you can download online that are free to use), and you'll be impressed with the results.

Clear skies and good luck!

I'll try that.  Thanks for the tip!  :)

#14 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:50 AM

As others have said, Canon started putting in a frustrating setting that needs to be set to 'ON' in order for the camera to work without a lens (in this case a t adaptor and a telescope). This setting should be in one of the custom function menus (orange). On my Canon Ra it's under the menu "C. Fn5: others". It's called "Release shutter w/o lens" and it must be set to "ON" in order to take photos with your telescope.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've checked and I have that on.  I'll keep trying.  Thanks!  :)

#15 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Viking 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:09 AM

I have EOS R and have no problems with ANY connectivity.  Wish I could be more help.

Clear Skies !!

• egarcia0033 likes this

#16 2ghouls

2ghouls

Apollo

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, I've checked and I have that on.  I'll keep trying.  Thanks!  smile.gif

Next thing to check- what shooting mode are you in? Try tapping the "MODE" button on top of the camera and on the touchscreen select "M" (Manual). Now try tacking a photo. Another reason it may not want to take a photo is in other shooting modes, it wants to autofocus, and without a lens it won't be able to.

After that- check for any messages on screen, maybe try a different SD Card.

In Manual shooting mode with the custom setting mentioned earlier set to on, and a working SD Card, it should take a photo no matter what, even with nothing attached to the camera (bare sensor). If it's not doing this, it would be time to contact Canon.

Edited by 2ghouls, 23 April 2021 - 10:38 AM.

• egarcia0033 likes this

#17 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2021 - 01:37 PM

A thousand apologies to everyone who recommended to check the "Release shutter without lens."  I kept checking the "Release shutter without card" not realizing it was not the one for the lens.  I re-read your comments again and went into the other camera settings (as you guys suggested) and found this additional setting for the lens -- it was "Off".   frown.gif

I've set it to "On" now and I'll try it at the next clear sky I get -- it's been cloudy for the past two days.  

This may be it, wish me luck!  smile.gif

Again, my most sincere thanks to everyone for helping me out here!  waytogo.gif

• 2ghouls likes this

#18 egarcia0033

egarcia0033

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2021 - 01:07 PM

Sharing my first astrophoto ever!  laugh.gif

(Thanks again to all for your advise and tips helping me solve my issue; I know I have a lot to learn still and I'm probably years away from what you guys are able to do but I'm excited and hopeful   smile.gif )

Orion Nebula 4 secs (cropped) (2).jpg

• piaras and 2ghouls like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Cassegrain, Celestron, DSLR, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics