•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Balloon pump air blaster

Accessories DIY Equipment Optics
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Binofrac

Binofrac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:23 AM

Here's one of my simplest astro projects. I recently had to clean my scope optics and try to not have anything in contact with them if I can help it. I've heeded various warnings about canned air before and thought about adding a valve to an old can to make my own. On a trip to the local pound shop I saw a much easier solution.

This is a simple balloon pump which can easily give as much or as little air as required. The only drawback is that it needs two hands to operate it. Obviously care needs to be taken in use to keep the nozzle from hitting an optic. I imagine though that a brush or different attachments could be made to suit various purposes. I did take it apart when I bought it and thoroughly washed all the components to get rid of mould release agent etc. The tissue on the back acts as a crude filter on the intake so that dust and other particles don't get blasted onto my lenses. So far it seems to be working very well. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Balloon pump air blaster.jpg

#2 macleod

macleod

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Napier, New Zealand, 4110

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:20 AM

Binofrac , why don,t you use a HAIR DRIER on COLD - masses of pure cold air in a close jet ! Macleod

#3 Binofrac

Binofrac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:23 AM

Binofrac , why don,t you use a HAIR DRIER on COLD - masses of pure cold air in a close jet ! Macleod

I have used one before which semed to stir up a lot of dust everywhere. The balloon pump is more controllable.

#4 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

No Kick - Mount Marker Lights

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 03 May 2021 - 03:04 PM

This !   I love mine, very strong blast but way more focused than a hair dryer

https://www.amazon.c...20072191&sr=8-3

-Lauren 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, DIY, Equipment, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics