•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anti-Glare

Solar
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dhayes68

dhayes68

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:17 AM

So I jumped into Solar imaging with a Quark eyepiece for my 102mm refractor and I love it.  Hard to see my laptop screen though and I've been putting a sweatshirt over my head. I was just wondering if folks had any ideas how best to combat screen glare?  Do standard anti-glare screens for laptops work well or is the sweatshirt over my head the best option?

Thanks!

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

So I jumped into Solar imaging with a Quark eyepiece for my 102mm refractor and I love it.  Hard to see my laptop screen though and I've been putting a sweatshirt over my head. I was just wondering if folks had any ideas how best to combat screen glare?  Do standard anti-glare screens for laptops work well or is the sweatshirt over my head the best option?

Thanks!

Believe it or not, what I've found most convenient is a big cardboard box.  If you leave the flaps on, facing you, with the laptop inside, you can poke your head in with one of the longer flaps over your head and then, with your hands, bring in the 2 shorter side flaps in from the sides.  I have found this provides enough darkness to see the screen clearly without having to wrangle the droopiness of fabric.

CS, Ara

• dhayes68 likes this

#3 dhayes68

dhayes68

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

Believe it or not, what I've found most convenient is a big cardboard box.  If you leave the flaps on, facing you, with the laptop inside, you can poke your head in with one of the longer flaps over your head and then, with your hands, bring in the 2 shorter side flaps in from the sides.  I have found this provides enough darkness to see the screen clearly without having to wrangle the droopiness of fabric.

CS, Ara

Thank you, I did think of a box but I live in a city and need to schlep my gear to a park nearby so always trying to reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry with me. But I'll probably end up going with a box since I can collapse it and assemble it with gaffer tape. Was hoping for something easier :)

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

If you do a search on Amazon for Laptop Shade you will see the more expensive options for keeping your laptop shaded and these are all collapsible.  I made my own "garage" from foam board and duck tape but you probably want something collapsible.

Ready.jpg

• dhayes68 likes this

#5 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:52 AM

Thank you, I did think of a box but I live in a city and need to schlep my gear to a park nearby so always trying to reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry with me. But I'll probably end up going with a box since I can collapse it and assemble it with gaffer tape. Was hoping for something easier smile.gif

Good point.  You could possibly use velcro tape attached to strategic areas of the bottom flaps of your box to easily deconstruct and reconstruct between schleps.  I might just try that with mine :)

• dhayes68 likes this

#6 dhayes68

dhayes68

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:11 AM

If you do a search on Amazon for Laptop Shade you will see the more expensive options for keeping your laptop shaded and these are all collapsible.  I made my own "garage" from foam board and duck tape but you probably want something collapsible.

attachicon.gifReady.jpg

Ooh that's nice! If it's collapsible I'll look into that. Thanks.

#7 dhayes68

dhayes68

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

Good point.  You could possibly use velcro tape attached to strategic areas of the bottom flaps of your box to easily deconstruct and reconstruct between schleps.  I might just try that with mine smile.gif

Velcro tape... thats good. waytogo.gif

#8 dhayes68

dhayes68

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

attachicon.gifReady.jpg

So I searched Amazon for Laptop Shade and there's some good stuff that seems perfect. Like this thing:

Capture

And it collapses down really small. Though it seems a bit much for 90 bucks, and now that I know it exists, I'm sure if I bought some thick cloth and plastic rods, I could make pretty easily.

#9 Nicole Sharp

Nicole Sharp

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cumberland, Maryland, USA

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:35 PM

I was thinking to order a LapDome:

https://www.lapdome.com/

Unfortunately, laptops with anti-glare screens can be expensive and difficult to find.  I had to pay extra to get a laptop with an antireflection coating on the screen, but it is absolutely necessary to be able to properly see the screen, even indoors.

Another option can be to get a matte anti-glare screen protector film, but these are difficult to find in large laptop sizes.

• dhayes68 likes this

#10 chemman

chemman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 22 April 2021 - 03:59 PM

Thank you, I did think of a box but I live in a city and need to schlep my gear to a park nearby so always trying to reduce the amount of stuff I need to carry with me. But I'll probably end up going with a box since I can collapse it and assemble it with gaffer tape. Was hoping for something easier smile.gif

I use a small, maybe 4 foot square light knit blanket lined one one side with a space blanket (camping gear, dirt cheap).  It is dark in there. Attached with double sided tape.

Works great for visual and laptop use, just lay it over you and the eyepiece or laptop shiny side out.  Darker color blanket or heavy sheet the better.  

Chuck

Attached Thumbnails

• space-blanket.jpg

Edited by chemman, 22 April 2021 - 04:05 PM.

• dhayes68 likes this

#11 Lost in Space

Lost in Space

Vendor - Galactic Rocks

• Vendors
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

Some folks set up their laptop inside a portable hunting blind and love it, although it can get a little hot inside.  A battery powered fan can help, and/or making sure you leave the doors open a little, plus open its windows a little to get some cross ventilation.

Here is one that you can search for on Amazon or elsewhere... Rhino Blinds R75-RTE 2 Person Hunting Ground Blind.

There is also a one-person blind with a built-in seat, but that would cause me to become claustrophobic in a few minutes.  You can check Cabelas or any good sporting goods store for any of these blinds.  The ones like the Rhino mentioned above are, to me, better in that the shape of the doorway is more accommodating than the ones with an X frame on the walls.  I don't bend as good as I used to, and will get a Rhino like this one in the near future.

• dhayes68 likes this

#12 DavM

DavM

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Almelo, Netherlands

Posted 23 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

I use this one from Amazon!

Regards

Dave

https://www.amazon.n...ctronics&sr=1-2

• dhayes68 likes this

#13 dhayes68

dhayes68

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2021 - 02:01 PM

I was thinking to order a LapDome:

https://www.lapdome.com/

Unfortunately, laptops with anti-glare screens can be expensive and difficult to find.  I had to pay extra to get a laptop with an antireflection coating on the screen, but it is absolutely necessary to be able to properly see the screen, even indoors.

Another option can be to get a matte anti-glare screen protector film, but these are difficult to find in large laptop sizes.

I was thinking about an anti-glare screen for my laptop, was able to find one for my model and pretty cheap. So I ordered that and the lapdome. I'll report back when they come in and I test em out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics