•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mid-20's mm 1-1/4 Eyepiece for C8 SCT with ~20mm eye relief and max field stop

Eyepieces SCT
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

If I had a 1-1/4 eyepiece at maximum field stop, the 0.8 +/- degrees TFOV is enough that I could just swap the eyepiece and not deal with changing diagonals or installing a focal reducer when using the T2 prism.  

But you get a 1.2º FoV with the 2" stuff.......

#27 GGK

GGK

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SouthWest Florida

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:47 PM

I didn’t include any of my eyepieces that are 2” or have a 2” barrel. It looks like I didn’t really understand the question in the first place so it doesn’t really matter. lol.gif

No, you were actually on target with the 1-1/4 eye pieces.  That's what I'm looking for.  I just didn't recognize that all on the list were, if fact, 1-1/4.  I need to have 20mm or greater eye relief.  I think the Delos and Delites are the only TV 1-1/4 models with eye relief that long.  Since I presently use Delos and like them, I started this search on the TV website.  I just didn't find any others.  That's really been my difficulty in this search - that long eye relief.

Thanks, though.  I appreciated the replies.

• wrvond likes this

#28 GGK

GGK

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 10:53 PM

Unbelievable timing. 

As CST4 posted above, an APM 24mm UFF eyepiece appeared on the classifieds as were were all discussing this.  I saw it and was fortunate enough to be the first responder and bought it.

I would not even have know what it was if is wasn't for all of your comments.  

Again - Thanks you all very much!

Gary

• wrvond, cst4, f18dad and 1 other like this

#29 GGK

GGK

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:04 PM

The field stop is above the 1.25"barrel.  That means vignetting, though it is small, and it means a lot of in travel to get to focus.

As far as I know, the internals are the same across the brands, though the outside diameters and weights differ due to the different outers.

Unless your scope is a very long focal length (over 2 meters), the jump from a 17.3mm is 30mm in my book.

Think about the magnification jump.  You want at least 50x between low power and the next one up in a 8" scope.

That's what I thought on the field stop location.  With the minor difference between clear aperture in the barrel and the field stop diameter, I personally would never notice the vignetting unless maybe the APOV was very narrow.

For the mag steps, I agree with you under normal circumstances.  For my case, I am just looking to maximize the field of view with a 1-1/4 eyepiece, but still keep the APOV as wide as possible.  The 24mm it the focal length where the math works.  Not many 20mm eye relief options, though, which is why I was asking the CN team.  When I need greater exit pupil for more light, I move to the larger diagonal and 2" eye pieces. 

Thanks, again.  Very helpful.

#30 GGK

GGK

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:14 PM

No comparison.  The older 24.5mm Meade from the '80s/'90s had a LOT of lateral astigmatism.  It was a copy of the TeleVue Widefield,

which TeleVue replaced with the better-corrected Panoptics (the 24mm APM is on that level).

Good to know. Thank you.  I suspected as much from both new and used prices.  

#31 Virtus

Virtus

Mariner 2

• Loc: SE NC

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

Unbelievable timing. 

As CST4 posted above, an APM 24mm UFF eyepiece appeared on the classifieds as were were all discussing this.  I saw it and was fortunate enough to be the first responder and bought it.

I would not even have know what it was if is wasn't for all of your comments.  

Again - Thanks you all very much!

Gary

You got a good deal and I think you'll be happy with it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics